The Best Book About Chiang Mai

ctrunfree

Any suggestions for what would be a good book on Chiang Mai - I don't mean the usual Lonely Planet travel stuff but something which gives a better understanding about how modern CM came to be, and what makes the place tick...

Exploring Chiang Mai: City, Valley and Mountains by Oliver Hargreave is the only one that comes close that I can think of.

I'm sure Gecko books stocks it.

Any suggestions for what would be a good book on Chiang Mai - I don't mean the usual Lonely Planet travel stuff but something which gives a better understanding about how modern CM came to be, and what makes the place tick...

You might do yourself a richer personal act by looking for a decent book of historical accounts, as opposed to those synthetic and fuzzy surfaced types of travelogue, most tend to be quite superficial. Luckily for you, if you're in CM, you have a wealth of booksellers of every sort. Good luck to ya!!! :)

You might do yourself a richer personal act by looking for a decent book of historical accounts, as opposed to those synthetic and fuzzy surfaced types of travelogue, most tend to be quite superficial. Luckily for you, if you're in CM, you have a wealth of booksellers of every sort. Good luck to ya!!! :)

Do you have a recommendation for a decent book of historical accounts? I've lived here for a while and would be interested in learning more about the history (since you brought it up). Thanks.

I thought that was what he asked for .

Exploring Chiang Mai: City, Valley and Mountains by Oliver Hargreave is the only one that comes close that I can think of.

This is a good book. For a more historical perspective try An Englishman in Siam and Siam Mapped both of which can be read on-line. Both have some fascinating facts on Chiang Mai including Dr Cheek and his steam sawmill. A quick Google will bring you the text.

Regards

This is a good book. For a more historical perspective try An Englishman in Siam and Siam Mapped both of which can be read on-line. Both have some fascinating facts on Chiang Mai including Dr Cheek and his steam sawmill. A quick Google will bring you the text.

Regards

Thanks.

A Consul in paradise by WAR Wood. He's buried in the farang cemetery - or his ashes are. He was the honorary British Consul from very late 19th century to well in to the 20th century. Stories of Lanna life told by someone who loved Chiang Mai.