Anyone Got A Tesco Visa Card?

According to the friendly woman at my local Tesco Lotus, I can apply for a Tesco VISA card with only my passport, work permit and six months of bank statements and salary slips. I'm interested because some products can be paid for in installments, interest-free, only if purchased with a Tesco VISA card. For example, the ticket on a 30,000baht air conditioner claims that it can be paid off in 6 installments of 5,000 per month etc.

Tesco VISA seems to offer 24hr payments, card protection, 50 days interest free, and discount at Esso and Pizza Company.

If anyone has one, I'd like to know whether there are any hidden catches or draw-backs please.

Specifically - is it a pre-paid card like other VISA cards from banks? If 0% interest installments are possible - how are they payable? Is it automatically deducted, paid at Tesco or do I have to line-up for hours somewhere at the start of every month?

20-65yo

50k income p/m

must have home and mobile phone.

6 month wp

passport

statement of 6 months bank statements

letter of employment and salary.

for instant aprovals required provide another thai credit card.

it is not a debit card, i dont know what line of credit is available. TESCO also has hire purchase available as an alternative.

I have one.. watch out for offers that if you don't decline you are automatically signed up for. The rules in this country are a bit more loose than the USA and things that they can pull here would never be allowed there.

I tried to apply for this card... and was told without a WP I cannot apply. Seems a bit strange to me... I live in Thailand and have done so for nearly 8 years. I have a company here which purchased my home. I have a proven income of 100000 baht a month... Yet they wont even let me apply. I am probably more credit worthy than a lot of Farang workers who could easily run up a large credit card bill and just disappear back to their own country..... All seems a bit odd to me when someone like me who has a excellent credit rating yet cannot apply for a credit card in Thailand. These rules not only apply to the Tesco Visa Card to to other cards too. You would think they should take every application on merit.

melbat

cheer up some.... lol

it isn't so bad not carrying a thai credit card, is it?

many thai banks do offer refrig, rebates, refunds and what not. but their rules are much different than those in the western world. those thai by-laws are something we detest and despite to the utmost.... to put it mildly.

most of those rules are one-sided with the advantages to the rule makers. consumers' rights and priveleges.... far and few in between.

most if not all of us farangs can have cc from thai banks, the question for everyone to ponder is--how desperate are we?

if we are desperate enough and are willing to conform to their irrationally excessive rules and regulations according to our farang opinions and experiences , they will issue one or two or three---in our names, only if we are willing to conform and pay for them.

personally, i consider myself--cheap. i even refuse to pay the 150 baht fee imposed on banks' atm withdrawal. yesterday, i personally complained to the manager of the bank and came away with 30k without having to pay the 150 baht fee and i'll probably do it again.... when i feel indignant and irrational enough.... lol

(come to think of it, perhaps i should not do it again.... my small victory might have already cost him alot behind the scene.... no, defintely not, i shall not do that again. what i'll do is to apologize to him on monday. but i still probably won't pay the imposed 150 baht atm fee though). for the next time, i'll just have to figure out some other more creative and more passive way to get around having to pay the immoral and irrational 150 baht atm withdrawal fee.... lol

almost at the end of my own wit now, i gladly welcome your creative suggestions, fellow farangs.... lol

Edited by nakachalet

walterego

in ref to your question on available credit line at tesco.

about 18 months ago, my thai gf applied at tesco. month and a half later, the credit card came in the registered mail. the following morning, i was awaken by my gf's histerical scream. she was levited to have received tesco cc with the limit of 700,000 baht credit line.

i called tesco to verify. tesco said the amount was correct because she already has other 14 cc with top credit history for 25 yrs, and our combined income warrants such credit limit. she further asked if i'd call to increase her credit line which is possible. i asked her, if she thinks farangs are insane or what.

ever since, that tesco cc is safely tucked away at the corner of my vault awaiting the owner to splurge in the good old usa.... lol

walterego, perhaps you and others could try for even much higher limit? it costs the same whether 100k or 700k....

the only difference is the payback time.... lol

I tried to apply for this card... and was told without a WP I cannot apply. Seems a bit strange to me... I live in Thailand and have done so for nearly 8 years. I have a company here which purchased my home. I have a proven income of 100000 baht a month... Yet they wont even let me apply. I am probably more credit worthy than a lot of Farang workers who could easily run up a large credit card bill and just disappear back to their own country..... All seems a bit odd to me when someone like me who has a excellent credit rating yet cannot apply for a credit card in Thailand. These rules not only apply to the Tesco Visa Card to to other cards too. You would think they should take every application on merit.

Try the Thai Airways American Express Card.

They pestered me for 2 months before I finally took one. I kept telling them "I do NOT have a WP" but they did not care.

They sent courier to collect application and papers and I had card within 10 days, with a good credit limit.

Been 8 years as well and have credit cards with SCB and K-bank, was issued them no problem, in fact the SCB gold was issued without asking, literally within two weeks of being in country.

So your comments are a bit strange to me... :) ...One would assume, seeing as you have company, you would have a work permit ??, unless of course the company was formed to circumnavigate property ownership laws ??...therefore not a trading company, therefore is any bank looked at this, the alarms bells would be ringing, certainly would in my mind as to being granted credit..

If you have an excellent credit rating in Thailand, you would get credit card absolutely no problem, so one would assume the credit rating you are talking about is not in Thailand..???, so this has absolutely no relevance to Thailand then... :D

per your subsequent comments,

"irrationally excessive rules and regulations".....

I completely disagree...based on my own experience getting a credit card in Thailand was actually one of the less difficult things I have had to do in Thailand, along with getting a driver license, both were pretty easy..

Been 8 years as well and have credit cards with SCB and K-bank, was issued them no problem, in fact the SCB gold was issued without asking, literally within two weeks of being in country.

So your comments are a bit strange to me... :) ...One would assume, seeing as you have company, you would have a work permit ??, unless of course the company was formed to circumnavigate property ownership laws ??...therefore not a trading company, therefore is any bank looked at this, the alarms bells would be ringing, certainly would in my mind as to being granted credit..

If you have an excellent credit rating in Thailand, you would get credit card absolutely no problem, so one would assume the credit rating you are talking about is not in Thailand..???, so this has absolutely no relevance to Thailand then... :D

per your subsequent comments,

"irrationally excessive rules and regulations".....

I completely disagree...based on my own experience getting a credit card in Thailand was actually one of the less difficult things I have had to do in Thailand, along with getting a driver license, both were pretty easy..

You must have had a work permit then to be able to apply... If you have, you would know that even if you have a company WP's are not issued unless you employ so many Thai's in that company... I dont. I'm sure if I had a WP i would have no trouble also. As for credit rating, what that shows is if your are credit worthy not where you live!!! It shows what type of person you are and if you pay your debts on time.. weather you live in Thailand, USA,UK or timbucktoo!

You must have had a work permit then to be able to apply... If you have, you would know that even if you have a company WP's are not issued unless you employ so many Thai's in that company... I dont. I'm sure if I had a WP i would have no trouble also. As for credit rating, what that shows is if your are credit worthy not where you live!!! It shows what type of person you are and if you pay your debts on time.. weather you live in Thailand, USA,UK or timbucktoo!

Yes I have a WP, Yes I am fully aware about work permit requirements as related to companies ie Thai employees...

As regards credit rating...you are not in Kansas, Toto.....as pointed out credit rating from other countries mean absolutely squat in Thailand, you are trying rationalise 1st business and banking principles to a 3rd World country, they are not interested in your credit worthiness from another country...

Thai banks have their rules, if you cant comply with their rules, rightly or wrongly...you dont get the C/C its that simple, its all to do with perception of risk. In the Thai banks eyes you are high risk...

Personally think If overseas banks applied some of the rules of the Thai banks, the world ecomony wouldnt be in the state its in today because of easy credit....

Allow to relate a similar story when I worked in the US....Same thing as Thailand, I had no credit history, proper S/S number etc etc...Banks in US told me to p*ss off...no credit card, even thought my stated income was 3 X more than your average US citizen.

melbat

i even refuse to pay the 150 baht fee imposed on banks' atm withdrawal. yesterday, i personally complained to the manager of the bank and came away with 30k without having to pay the 150 baht fee and i'll probably do it again.... when i feel indignant and irrational enough.... lol

are you sure you getting the same echange rates from a ATM withdraw and the counter withdraw ?

Edited by simcity

Thanks for the replies about how to pay and being automatically signed up for things. People seem quite positive on the whole so I may apply for one at Tesco. I already have VISA cards with TMB, Kasikorn and Bangkok bank but I was interested in the TESCO VISA because of the interest-free option.

melbat

cheer up some.... lol

many thai banks do offer refrig, rebates, refunds and what not. but their rules are much different than those in the western world. those thai by-laws are something we detest and despite to the utmost.... to put it mildly.

most of those rules are one-sided with the advantages to the rule makers. consumers' rights and priveleges.... far and few in between.

most if not all of us farangs can have cc from thai banks, the question for everyone to ponder is--how desperate are we?

if we are desperate enough and are willing to conform to their irrationally excessive rules and regulations according to our farang opinions and experiences , they will issue one or two or three---in our names, only if we are willing to conform and pay for them.

personally, i consider myself--cheap. i even refuse to pay the 150 baht fee imposed on banks' atm withdrawal. yesterday, i personally complained to the manager of the bank and came away with 30k without having to pay the 150 baht fee and i'll probably do it again.... when i feel indignant and irrational enough.... lol

(come to think of it, perhaps i should not do it again.... my small victory might have already cost him alot behind the scene.... no, defintely not, i shall not do that again. what i'll do is to apologize to him on monday. but i still probably won't pay the imposed 150 baht atm fee though). for the next time, i'll just have to figure out some other more creative and more passive way to get around having to pay the immoral and irrational 150 baht atm withdrawal fee.... lol

almost at the end of my own wit now, i gladly welcome your creative suggestions, fellow farangs.... lol

:)

Personally I would stay away from any shop/store credit cards, you are getting shafted on the fees and interest rates....

Tesco and Homepros VISA creditcards are with Krungsri GE. No fees and no interest if payed in time. I have it, and use it all over the world.

Personally I would stay away from any shop/store credit cards, you are getting shafted on the fees and interest rates....

Tesco and Homepros VISA creditcards are with Krungsri GE. No fees and no interest if payed in time. I have it, and use it all over the world.

And there we have crux of this...."No fees and no interest if payed on time", and obviously means full balance.. ...as with a normal credit card, but dont pay the full balance and see what the fees/interest are..be assured that both Krungsri GE and Tesco's/Homepro etc are getting their pound of flesh out of you as well

And there we have crux of this...."No fees and no interest if payed on time", and obviously means full balance.. ...as with a normal credit card, but dont pay the full balance and see what the fees/interest are..be assured that both Krungsri GE and Tesco's/Homepro etc are getting their pound of flesh out of you as well

Full balance payed in time is no fees and no interest with credit up to 45 days. Not bad

Want longer credit, pay 1,5-2,5% a month. Borrowing money always has a price. Thats what they want you to do. No need to obey :)

Then you have the zero interest/6 months pay promotion for fridges or whatever. Not bad.

Great cards. No costs if used as mentioned. Tesco 2 %, Homepro 3% discount on purchase.

credit cards well lets see you can buy anything you want and get it now. wonderful well you still have to pay it back with interest, 29% on most.

loan sharks charge the same but they are illegal the down spiral of debt if you pay cash for what you need and save the 28% for the next item you want need must have most must have it now cant afford it well if you cant afford it now six months down the line you still cant and it has cost you more to boot Thailand is not the same if you owe money and cant pay the difference is you can go to jail in Thailand until you can pay.

cheer up some.... lol

credit cards well lets see you can buy anything you want and get it now. wonderful well you still have to pay it back with interest, 29% on most.

loan sharks charge the same but they are illegal the down spiral of debt if you pay cash for what you need and save the 28% for the next item you want need must have most must have it now cant afford it well if you cant afford it now six months down the line you still cant and it has cost you more to boot Thailand is not the same if you owe money and cant pay the difference is you can go to jail in Thailand until you can pay.

cheer up some.... lol

Thai credit cards, well lets see. You can pay international airfare online, rent cars online, book hotels online and get some discount in some stores in LOS. A million baht a year in Homepro is 30.000 baht of discount when payed with Homeprocard. Not bad.

Sure, if you dont pay your debts you go to jail. Seems fair.

The 150 baht ATM fee you are refering to is not charged by thai banks, its YOUR card company charging thai banks and they pass it on to where it belongs, to you. Denying to pay this, I hope the bank compensated by giving you a lousy exchangerate. Seems fair :D

katabeachbum

The 150 baht ATM fee you are refering to is not charged by thai banks, its YOUR card company charging thai banks and they pass it on to where it belongs, to you.

in reference to your above post, could it be that you were being informed incorrectly?

my american bank just confirmed that it was not its policy to charge its triple aaa customers any fee on withdrawal by person or through atm, nor on traveler check, nor cashier check, but there will be charges levied on wire transfer though etc.

is there any more comment regarding the question that foreign banks charged thai banks, so thai banks passed on the charges to users etc etc.

you sounded very much like many thai bank officers that i encountered at most bank counters, who frequently stated something just to get by.... so some persistent customers would leave you alone.... so you might continue your tic-tack-toe on your screen.... lol i am just kidding on this one, ok?

but seriously, pls let me know if you have any more questions on this topic or topic regarding why thai banks policy makers are so short-sighted on such simple issue....

if i continue to voice my concerns on thai monetary policy, the directors of 'bank chart' แบ๊งค์ชาติ might decide to make it even more difficult for other farangs to come to thailand with their almighty euros and pounds.... lol

not to belittle anyone here, but even high schoolers realize that they will go and spend their money earned from working various part time jobs, at places that are fun and convenient for them.... lol who would want to go to some places that want to overcharge them here and there and it seems sadly.... everywhere.... lol

katabeachbum, if you by chance are working in a thai bank, pls take notice that the handwriting by thaivisa members, is beginning to appear on the wall....

on the other hand, what do i really know about money issues?.... if i really know so much, then i should be chairing the monetary policy making committee, right?.... shame on me.... lol

Edited by nakachalet

katabeachbum

The 150 baht ATM fee you are refering to is not charged by thai banks, its YOUR card company charging thai banks and they pass it on to where it belongs, to you.

in reference to your above post, could it be that you were being informed incorrectly?

my american bank just confirmed that it was not its policy to charge its triple aaa customers any fee on withdrawal by person or through atm, nor on traveler check, nor cashier check, but there will be charges levied on wire transfer though etc.

is there any more comment regarding the question that foreign banks charged thai banks, so thai banks passed on the charges to users etc etc.

you sounded very much like many thai bank officers that i encountered at most bank counters, who frequently stated something just to get by.... so some persistent customers would leave you alone.... so you might continue your tic-tack-toe on your screen.... lol i am just kidding on this one, ok?

but seriously, pls let me know if you have any more questions on this topic or topic regarding why thai banks policy makers are so short-sighted on such simple issue....

if i continue to voice my concerns on thai monetary policy, the directors of 'bank chart' แบ๊งค์ชาติ might decide to make it even more difficult for other farangs to come to thailand with their almighty euros and pounds.... lol

not to belittle anyone here, but even high schoolers realize that they will go and spend their money earned from working various part time jobs, at places that are fun and convenient for them.... lol who would want to go to some places that want to overcharge them here and there and it seems sadly.... everywhere.... lol

katabeachbum, if you by chance are working in a thai bank, pls take notice that the handwriting by thaivisa members, is beginning to appear on the wall....

on the other hand, what do i really know about money issues?.... if i really know so much, then i should be chairing the monetary policy making committee, right?.... shame on me.... lol

I am not working in a thai bank or any other bank. However I see the thais banks need to pass on your banks or VISAs fees to where they belong. VISA charges someone, your bank or the thai bank or you. Whats fair?

• 1 month later...