10 Killed, 13 Injured In Road Accident In Phetchaburi

pagallim

Phetchaburi - A six-wheel truck carrying workers overturned here Friday morning, killing 10 of them and injuring 13 others.

The accident happened at 6:30 am on the bypass road in Cha-am district, police said.

Seven workers died at the scene and three more died at the Cha-am hospital.

Eight workers were severely injured and forwarded to the provincial hospital.

Police said the truck was transporting workers from Prachuap Khirikhan's Sam Roi Yod district to a shrimp farm in Cha-am but it lost control due a slippery road following heavy rains.

Police said the driver, identified only as Pae, fled the scene.

The Nation

Amazing, 10 people killed, and others seriously injured, yet doesn't warrant much prominence in The Nation. I'm sure like most others, when we see the volumes of workers being ferried in the back of pick ups/trucks etc every day in Phuket, the thought foremost in my mind is 'what if that vehicle had an accident?'. Of course, it's much more important for the BiB to be checking whether farang are wearing seat belts, rather than exercising their powers to contribute to meaningful road safety.

Strange place Thailand. I have lived in BKK 2 years near Sukhumvit and have never seen one single accident , The cars dont even have scratches. Why is that? Have seen dozens of prangs back home in ideal driving conditions. Would have been awful being first on the scene at this one, would have been total carnage :)

Apart from the tragedy of the accident/carnage, and the thoughts that it brought about people riding in crammed and unprotected circumstances, what really was brought home to me was the lack of concern and prominence that it was given by the national press. It was reported almost as an afterthought, and certainly of much less significance than the listing of archives in the Memory of the World register. Life really is cheap here.

The one that always makes me shake my head is the Thai boxing advertising truck with the boxers up top.

That driver hits anything and those guys are going to go flying from 10 feet up.

Amazing Thailand !

I am waiting for the day they run into a low hanging electrical wire, or when a lightening bolt strikes them. They were driving around right before a major storm and I was in disbelief. Lightening rods on a truck. However, what would Patong be without the mantra of Toniiiite, toniiite, boxing at Bangla Stadium........................ Could those kids get any more pathetic looking?

Although the crammed truck incident stands out, have a look at some of the big resort hotels that transport their workers. They get packed onto the back of the truck on benches and off it goes at high speed. All it takes is a swerve or sudden stop and a dozen or more people get scattered onto the pavement. At least they don't put the gas cylinders on the back like some of the trucks packed with workers do. I always try to give any of those pickup trucks alot of distance in the event the tank falls off as has been the case on the big hill coming up into Patong.