Something Keeps Dialing Up My Isp

sbk

Started my computer up this morning and something dialed up my ISP(not me!). Updated antivirus (mcafee) and spybot and microsoft antispyware. Ran all three. showed nothing. What could it be? What should I look for?

ARGH I hope I don't have some hidden dialer on my computer!

Most would try to call a pay number rather than your ISP so it is probably your anti virus asking for updates or Email or browser - all of which can dial out automatically if you so set them.

If never happened before did you do or change anything yesterday that might be causing this? Any new program installed?

You been surfing those "adult art interest sites" again sbk?

check in your internet dail up bit in control panel, you should be able to see straight away, also uncheck the "install on demand" box in internet options, this stops such activity before it starts. good luck....and stay off those sites, you naughty girl :o

Edited by toastwars

You have one or more pieces of software that wants to update itself and somewhere in the group is a setting that is telling it to connect to the internet when needed. This is most likely in your browser, or email client's settings, although they may not be the triggers, just the accomplis.

Look through the above two pieces of software, along with media player, realplayer, and your antivirus to see if the options say to connect to check for updates.

If you have Zonealarm, engage the internet lock when not online, and set your software permissions to high, so that programs have to ask for internet access. That will tell you who is triggering this.

Lopburi3 is correct about the dialer. Sounds more like a software setting than spyware.

cv