Cig Lighters Banned April 14th

Soi33

This is all over the U.S. News.

Beginning April 14, 2005 ALL cig lighters will be banned on commercial flights. Lighters are not allowed in checked or carry-on luggage.

No disposable lighters, Zippo's etc.

In their infinate wisdom they will allow you to carry FOUR books of matches though! Amazing thought process!

They should have a depository at each airport for departing passengers to deposit their lighters, and allow arriving passengers to pick up a replacement for the lighter they had to give up earlier ...

:o

Flew Perth (Australia) to Brunei then BKK 12 Feb with Royal Brunei Air and the returned same 28 Feb. My disposable lighter was confiscated at Brunei Airport on the way home. Told the "No Lighters" policy started 27 Feb there. Not amused! I will never travel Royal Brunei Air again - that's another story and I will post the reasons in 48 hours under the Travel Section if I do not get a satisfactory answer from their manager.

Flew Perth (Australia) to Brunei then BKK 12 Feb with Royal Brunei Air and the returned same 28 Feb. My disposable lighter was confiscated at Brunei Airport on the way home. Told the "No Lighters" policy started 27 Feb there. Not amused! I will never travel Royal Brunei Air again - that's another story and I will post the reasons in 48 hours under the Travel Section if I do not get a satisfactory answer from their manager.

All that over a disposable lighter worth a few pennies?Seems rather overboard.

More airline logic.

Kuwait airways took two of my five lighters, I know five lighters is a bit excessive (they had amassed themselves in my hotel room), but why take only two, how many lighters can I light at one time, or did they expect me to distribute them amongst my fellow terrorists once airborne. They even left my the ones with the most gas in.

B

Beginning April 14, 2005 ALL cig lighters will be banned on commercial flights. Lighters are not allowed in checked or carry-on luggage.

This will be interesting, who doesn't occasional bring back a few novelty lighters in their checked baggage. We'll see how various carriers screen for this ... either posted placard or yet another addition to the verbal check-in questionnaire.

But more importantly, the impact to the novelty lighter industry, :o

then again, not being bothered while I drink my beer could be a welcome change, but you gotta love a dancing cutie lighter ... mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

This will be interesting, who doesn't occasional bring back a few novelty lighters in their checked baggage. We'll see how various carriers screen for this ... either posted placard or yet another addition to the verbal check-in questionnaire.

then again, not being bothered while I drink my beer could be a welcome change, but you gotta love a dancing cutie lighter ... mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

i guess you can always mail them to yourself....... :D

what will they ban next, i wear glasses, the stems could be used as weapons, maybe they'll ban them soon

Don't you already need a special license to fly home with those over-sized Zippo's they sell down the KSR etc.

One experience at Bombay airport - what a great place.

They were confiscating everybodys lighters before walking through the metal detectors. I had 5 in my pocket, so shoved them into my hand luggage beforehand. That went through the x-ray and was then given to me, lighters included.

There's logic in there somewhere... :o

Oh well, bad news for the peddlers who stroll up and down the beaches selling those flashing/musical novelty lighters. My Bro came over a year or so ago and bought 3 from one guy!

No trouble getting them home though!

I'm pretty sure a terrorist could do just as much damage with 4 books of matches as a disposable lighter, although he may just become more irritated when trying to light the fuse! :o

They should have a depository at each airport for departing passengers to deposit their lighters, and  allow arriving passengers to pick up a replacement for the lighter they had to give up earlier ...

:o

Surely you mean SUPPOSITARY to stop these idiotic rule makers talking out their <deleted>

Great idea but you'll find there will only be pink ones left to chose from. :D

I'll take a "pink one" after 10-15 hours!

I'll take a pink one straight up. Least you'll know that no-ones gonna pinch at a bar or party. :D

Nomad

That all depends on what sort of partys you go to surely!...pass the rubber hose and the warm saline solution. Ohh er... :o

in 1993 on a return flight on Air China from Harbin to Beijing I forgot the prohibition on lighters and when frisked by the grim faced People's Army operative prior to boarding one was discovered. I was taken aside and surrounded by menacing thugs and I believed that I faced an on the spot strip search. They settled by hissing in a threatening way, searched my belongings, scrutinized my passport and then flung it back at me in a most disrespectful manner.

They were not nice at all...and they hurt my feelings...

in 1993 on a return flight on Air China from Harbin to Beijing I forgot the prohibition on lighters and when frisked by the grim faced People's Army operative prior to boarding one was discovered. I was taken aside and surrounded by menacing thugs and I believed that I faced an on the spot strip search. They settled by hissing in a threatening way, searched my belongings, scrutinized my passport and then flung it back at me in a most disrespectful manner.

They were not nice at all...and they hurt my feelings...

Awwwwwwwwww jeez Tutsi :o

So, whats the problem with them in your checked baggage?

Supposedly a lighter (pressurized LP type) at altitude could leak, creating a fire hazard in the cargo hold, a lot of this was brought on by the Value Air crash over the Florida everglades due to leaking O2 canisters in the cargo hold. :o

Due to the definately suspect saftey record of these flimsy street bought lighters,I would say that having one on ones person is the safest way to carry them. Stashing a hoard of them in luggage is insane. If they do go up,which is a distinct possibility there is no-one there to put the fire out. That is almost as bad as people who sneak to the toilets on board for a quick fag ( cigarette to the ami's),although now-a-days the inflammable fluid used in flight toilets is being phased out. I wouldn't like to throw my butt down a toilet that still has racasan in it.

I'm still going through the customs with all my lighters , in the checked luggage . Maybe i'll carry 2 in handluggage , depends on how many i have with me , and the types . It is a pretty stupid thing to ban lighters for suspicious acts on a airplane . Just like the nail clippers being banned ... who are you going to kill with that ???? I got keys which are charper ... Not to forget that if you really have bad intentions , you can always buy bottles in tax free or on the airplane itself where you can smash the bottom off ... that is a pretty dangerous weapon .... Noooo , i'm a terrorist bringing in a nail clipper and 2 cigarette lighters :o:D .... how stupid can you get .