Majority Of Thais Recognize Shinawatra Era Corruption

george

Ferwert: I didn't see you up in arms and complaining about quality of poll when it said Abhisit's popularity had sunk and Thaksin's rise. Or do you only distrust polls which goes against your dogmatic beliefs.

Western scholarship and intellectualism in it's best ritual..... :)

"He who does not know the truth is only a fool. He who knows the truth and calls it a lie is a criminal

Bertold Brecht

Interesting to watch you shoot your own foot linguistically.

But then again you ARE a Thaksinista, what could I expect.

What on earth does that mean.

And you have a problem with people expressing opinions?

I actually support many of your posts, incidentally.

His whole reason for being here has proved generally

to be in support of Thaksins PR campaign lies or white washes of history, IMO.

I have my reasons for beliving this.

While quoting Brecht he just called himself a criminal for doing it. IMO

I call THAT shooting yourself in the foot.

Shame I had to explain it to you. I thought it was so obvious.

I have no problem with people stating opinions and alternate points of view.

We don't always agree, but you are entitled to yours.

I support many of your posts also, we both just don't seem to actively show it.

c'est la vie.

Dear Dale how's tricks?

Hope you are having a wonderful NEW life as a male.

Edited by animatic

64% voted for parties other than PPP and now their representatives formed the government excluding PPP.

64% is a majority. They got the parties they voted for in power.

So lets' have an election Plus. Every time I mention that, I can't see you for dust!

Maybe time for a better dandruf shampoo then?

Yes 64% and most all of those still in the parliament.

There is a quorum with out problem.

Their terms are not up until, what 3 more years +or-.

We have a government coalition installed by the MAJORITY of duly elected MPs.

There is no need for a snap election.

Red rioting in the streets is not a valid reason to do it either.

It was the best of times and the worst of times.

So lets' have an election Plus. Every time I mention that, I can't see you for dust!

what was wrong with the last election ?

Last election was not a happy election. The party the ruling class want to win did not win. :)

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.

Bringing tanks and guns into Bangkok to make a coup knocking a democratically elected Prime Minister is bad.

After a coup, a military man running Thailand who did not win an election is bad. List what achievements Surayud has made.

Changing law to ban all party executive members when one member is wrong is bad.

The list is very long.

ABAC polls are flawed and biased. I've said it before when ABC released other poll survey results. Always ask who paid for the poll and where ABAC's loyalties lie.

I think we all agree that there was corruption during the Thaksin era. That doesn't necessarily mean that Thaksin was responsible for the corruption. To say that would be to deny that corruption was just as bad before he took office and that corruption stopped as soon as Thaksin was overthrown by the military.

I suggest that the same criminal and corrupt element that ran their schemes during the Thaksin era, were also the ones that ran it prior to and following the Thaksin era. How is it that corruption is so blatant now? For example, there are extortionists now running amuck at swampy. One could argue that this only occurred following the arrival of the Abhisit government. However, the new governement is no more to blame for these corrupt officials than Thaksin was. The unpleasant reality is that Thailand's judiciary is either inept or unwilling to do anything, the legislative body does not care, the ruling clique doesn't want its revenue streams disrupted and the people tolerate it. Blame Thaksin all you want but corruption is as synonomous with Thailand as HIV and prostitution are.

ABAC polls are flawed and biased. I've said it before when ABC released other poll survey results. Always ask who paid for the poll and where ABAC's loyalties lie.

I think we all agree that there was corruption during the Thaksin era. That doesn't necessarily mean that Thaksin was responsible for the corruption. To say that would be to deny that corruption was just as bad before he took office and that corruption stopped as soon as Thaksin was overthrown by the military.

I suggest that the same criminal and corrupt element that ran their schemes during the Thaksin era, were also the ones that ran it prior to and following the Thaksin era. How is it that corruption is so blatant now? For example, there are extortionists now running amuck at swampy. One could argue that this only occurred following the arrival of the Abhisit government. However, the new governement is no more to blame for these corrupt officials than Thaksin was. The unpleasant reality is that Thailand's judiciary is either inept or unwilling to do anything, the legislative body does not care, the ruling clique doesn't want its revenue streams disrupted and the people tolerate it. Blame Thaksin all you want but corruption is as synonomous with Thailand as HIV and prostitution are.

I would slightly modify that I think Thaksin rewrote who was involved in the gravy train and upset a bunch because of it. Nobody is going to dispute that before he was and after he was corruption existed and prospered.

Iirc Pasuk actually wrote an interesting book on Thaksin and corruption - the business of politcs or some such name.

can anybody give an example about the corruption occur in Thaksin era...

until now there's only known by public about Radjaphisek land scandal.... about tax evasion....??? but.... is't the only scandal having by ex primier thaksin shinawatra...????

just because of that.... whole of Thai (prime news) declared him convicted ex premier Thaksin Shinawatra...????

We all agree

and more sad.... the british government already revoke his passport....

oh i wonder why

is't fair for him.... is't fair for his past deed... for his country.... for what he has done past 3 years ago...

every thai likes money as do farangs shame on you.

he ever manage Thailand from 2001 there's about -5 billion USD thai treasury but then before he became ousted 2006 the Thai treasury about 15 billion USD..

who is upping the anti..

and what's noble things.... he always help poor people particularly in isaan and northen thailand....quite whore just saying don't take offence

honestly if i'm a thai.... i'll vote for him and i'll sign a petition to HM king Bhumipol Adulyadej for pardon him...

get real man he took you to the cleaners and then asked you for more.

- land estate highway construction near his wife's SC Asset development on the airport route

THe thing is....as long as he is not in the country, the further charges cannot be filed; he has to be present to hear the charge AFAIK. Surely you understand this is the main reason why he won't come back; he will have to stand trial for a further (IIRC) 17 charges placed against him and others; as long as he stays away, it is just the one and he can claim as much as he wants that they don't have any more on him.

BTW just because someone stole an apple and got convicted, that makes them convicted just as much as someone who has been convicted of 100 murders. Convicted = found guilty in a court of their peers.

Apples and Peers. Who woulda thunk it.

Taksin was so in it for himself.

So were the guys that outed him. Just like Taksin, total corruption. That was an illegal ousting, and the votes were illegal by Taksin.

Thats the brunt.

What all their true motives are is another story

what was wrong with the last election ?

Last election was not a happy election. The party the ruling class want to win did not win. :)

Other than the winning party getting caught cheating and being disbanded it was a happy enough election.

PS Koo Thaksin wasn't PM when the coup happened, he had dissolved the parliament HIMSELF.

he was only care taker PM< warming the seat till and election.

He was NOT elected PM at the time of the coup, he was a FORMER elected PM, by his own hand.

But don't let FACTS ruin your day, you have a job to do the red masters have decreed.

Edited by animatic

Iirc Pasuk actually wrote an interesting book on Thaksin and corruption - the business of politcs or some such name.

Yes, excellent book.

Not on the reddened mind reading list of course.

Thaksin: The Business of Politics in Thailand

by Pasuk Phongpaichi (Author), Chris Baker (Author

Available at Amazon.co.uk with reviews as a reference:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thaksin-Business-P...8662&sr=1-1

REVIEW

The oligarch of Thailand, 17 Mar 2009

This review is from: Thaksin: The Business of Politics in Thailand (Paperback)

A readable and well-researched investigation of one of the most enigmatic politicians of our age -

a man brilliant but deeply flawed, a cynic, a risk-taker, a multi billionaire and self-invented 'man of the people'

who treats a nation as a commercial company, who sees wellbeing exclusively in terms of GNP growth,

who speaks repeatedly of 'the people' but appears to despise democracy, someone with a

doctorate in jurisprudence but who seems to believe the Rule of Law is a commodity to be employed

only when it suits him, someone who cites Buddhist teachings on morality yet employs them in support

of the politics of greed and who has never shown the slightest inhibition in buying votes or packing both

government and judiciary with his cronies.

Vital reading for anyone seeking to understand something of modern Thailand,

its strengths and weaknesses. Needless to say, a great friend of the Bush administration

and the Pentagon.

Edited by animatic

Bringing tanks and guns into Bangkok to make a coup knocking a democratically elected Prime Minister is bad.

He was not elected, he dissolved the House more than half a year earlier. He also publicly resigned after a visit to Hua Hin, and there was someone else in charge for nearly a month. Then he reneged on his promise and returned, as if his resignation never happened. Legally he was only interim Prime Minister, the position that was not supposed to last more than three months.

List what achievements Surayud has made.

Wrote a new consitution, got it approved in referendum, and returned the country to a democratically elected government.

He was not elected, he dissolved the House more than half a year earlier. He also publicly resigned after a visit to Hua Hin, and there was someone else in charge for nearly a month. Then he reneged on his promise and returned, as if his resignation never happened. Legally he was only interim Prime Minister, the position that was not supposed to last more than three months.

List what achievements Surayud has made.

Wrote a new consitution, got it approved in referendum, and returned the country to a democratically elected government.

The % in the referendum was what percentage?

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.

After a coup, a military man running Thailand who did not win an election is bad. List what achievements Surayud has made.

Changing law to ban all party executive members when one member is wrong is bad.

The list is very long.

actually, I like your claim that a caretaker PM that resigned and had organised a rigged election in best African/Central American style is somehow 'democratically elected' is kind of amusing.

Surayud did little wrong and not much else; he quitely sorted out the universal healthcare system; put a stop to some of the harebrained s&*tstorms set up by TRT as let's face it, none of their schemes in the TRT iteration worked; they quietly fixed the bigger issues with AOT/Airport best they could.

As for banning party executives, you are lucky that I am not the constitution writer where beheadings and stonings would be the punishment for electoral fraud; a pasttime that your hero seems to engage in with gay abandon (well gay as in non homosexual connotation, I am sure Lydia, Mai, et al can attest to that; for gay stuff we can always refer to J Mingkwan, his son, Jakapop and various others should we wish to get all homophobic - interestingly a pasttime of the red shirts in Chiang Mai who conveniently choose to overlook this group). If they didn't like the rule, perhaps that is simply because they got caught cheating; they have no respect for the law.

None of the red shirt 'massive' seem to want to talk regarding the issue of the pardon for this crime, and whether it should apply in future to all potential other things Thaksin is guilty of (and there are a lot, why do you think he won't return?).

THat really would be unprecedented, but effectively the PPP that was their first order of business; to wipe a clean slate. Didn't work. So cause some riots. Didn't work. So try to have a pardon alledgedly signed by people, dogs, cats, kids, etc - reaching a hefty less than 10% of the population at best which is going to be presented in a way completely without precedent and asks for (presumably) a pardon for everything I've done to date and been charged for, plus anything else I might do or be charged with in future; because the list is f&*king long.

Yeah..... I can really see how this is going to work.

Talk about red shirts, I talked to DJ Aom, one of the leaders of the Rak CM 51 group today who said that the red movement was comparable to Ghandi's peaceful protests...like Koo, she said it was always infiltrators who acted violently to smear the reds.

Certifiably delusional, or out to re-write history for fun and profit.

Only his hairdresser knows for sure.

Talk about red shirts, I talked to DJ Aom, one of the leaders of the Rak CM 51 group today who said that the red movement was comparable to Ghandi's peaceful protests...like Koo, she said it was always infiltrators who acted violently to smear the reds.

every time they first take responsibility, then later on try to deny it.

Like listening to the yellow shirts claim that they didn't want to take over the airport, and that was red shirt infiltrators wearing yellow shirts.

Seriously, you would need your head read to think that the red shirts weren't running amok at least some of the time; d&*k wads blocking the roads around BKK certainly weren't the most friendly to me when I was trying to just head to work and also on the Saturday i think it was when they were blocking my road to get home, to allow me access.

But of course.....'they were infiltrators'

Load of utter c&*p.

every time they first take responsibility, then later on try to deny it.

Like listening to the yellow shirts claim that they didn't want to take over the airport, and that was red shirt infiltrators wearing yellow shirts.

you gotta love comedy; if you took all the red shirts and yellow shirts then exiled the lot of them to Burma, I suspect the IQs of both countries would increase significantly.