What To Do With My Bike If I Have To Leave Thailand?

Well the little woman and i have discussed the issue and if something doesnt come up work wise soon i will be headed back the US of A by December. The question that lingers on my mind is what to do with my bike? I know that their are ways to ship it state side but i doubt i could register it to be legal to ride there. But on the other end of the spectrum i am afraid that i would only be able to get a very small portion of what i have put into it.

The bike has alot to offer but in the end its a 17 years old.

What do you guys think?

Unless the bike has a clean US title, the chance you can get it in is lower than winning the lottery. No chance at all is closer to the truth. EPA regs will keep it out for sure. We can store it here for you or if you wont be back, can sell it for you too.

Well the obvious options are store it or take a pittance based on market value not what you have invested.

Its a nice bike and I have followed your various mods, improvements, paintwork, etc.. But your never going to get anyone else to pay that back. Welcome to the big bike world, I basically write off any money I put into bikes as lost and if some comes back its a bonus.

Judging by the number of people who have checked out the pics there would be some interest in your bike if you put it on the market.

Even I may be tempted if the price was right!

Sadly as has been said before, big bikes here or anywhere for that matter are rarely an investment.

Better to take a loss than have it sat in a shed here rusting away whilst your back in the US.

Not a hope IMO.. Thats new ER6 money

100k possibly, maybe, with a tailwind, and a 100% absolute clean book with page 18 tax info. Thats based on someone who knows what you have spent, maybe someone on here etc ??

80 for a fast sale to someone who hasnt followed what you have done to it.

What your selling is a bike with no parts supply chain, no dealer support, no anything.. Approaching 2 decades old.. Theres heaps of those out there in the 60 - 100 range. None perhaps as clean as your but no ones putting value on your custom paint job.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.. But thats the reality.. Want a bandit 400 (new engine rebuild) for 50k ??

Not a hope IMO.. Thats new ER6 money

100k possibly, maybe, with a tailwind, and a 100% absolute clean book with page 18 tax info. Thats based on someone who knows what you have spent, maybe someone on here etc ??

80 for a fast sale to someone who hasnt followed what you have done to it.

What your selling is a bike with no parts supply chain, no dealer support, no anything.. Approaching 2 decades old.. Theres heaps of those out there in the 60 - 100 range. None perhaps as clean as your but no ones putting value on your custom paint job.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.. But thats the reality.. Want a bandit 400 (new engine rebuild) for 50k ??

Take her to the bike auctions !

Honestly, I would just keep the bike. Shipping back to the USA would probably run $2k right there, and it is going to be pretty much near impossible to register it. The first hurdle would be the EPA, the second hurdle would be the individual states--you would need a title from another state or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin in order to get a title. The VFR probably would be a bit of a collector's item in the USA because they were never imported. However, I doubt it would be worth very much. Add the cost of shipping, plus the fact that it is probably more valuable in Thaland because of the lack of big bikes, and I would just leave it in Thailand. I mean it sounds like you are going home just because you have to. I have a feeling that you will be back, eventually (when you find another job offer). If you sell it, then you are going to have to go through the hassle of finding another big bike in Thailand all over again.

The VFR is very similar in ride position to a CBR400 'baby blade' which I had for a while..

For me (also 6'3") it was too small really.. I kept it for a while, great engine and fun machine but I think over 6 ft the 400 sports pitch you too far forward and onto your hands too much, so your looking at sore wrists and a slightly off balance feel. Thats how it was for me but everyone is a bit different in what they like, I am not that into head down ass up sport position.

The reason I enjoyed the bandit was it had a sport chassis, yet a more upright stance, so I felt balanced.

Forget bringing it to the USA, unless it is on the NHTSA's website as pre-approved. Otherwise, they demand a crash test which will total the bike.

I shipped a limited edition SR 500 to San Diego and was told it needs to be gone in 12 months.

Sell it, as storage is bad for any engine.

Good luck and be realistic with the price. Haven's seen the photos yet and don't know how you spent the 200 grand. But 75 k would be my personal limit, no matter what.

Wrath. i know you have been used to the big money contracts. But have you thought about getting a job here just to tied you over until your job market opens up again. Just a thought.

big money i wish. as i seperated last year i have spent the better part of the year placating the ex and was in the green for a 3 weeks prior getting my walking papers! To be honest i would love to work here if all it did was pay for my bare essentials. I am a farely frugal person and i am adjusted to thai life style. My primary fear is staying here and nothing panning out and running out of capital. as i have no family to look to for assistance i have to take care of myself.

Any ideas on what a 7+ year expirienced heavy equipment mechanic with some safety background can do in thailand to support himself legally or at least in the gray?

Today marks the day i recieved my student visa and will be living in chiang mai for school for a bit more time. So any suggestions are welcome.

I have to agree that 150 for the vfr is a stretch but if your going to wish, wish big eh?

most likely keeping it is my only option as i dont have the heart to tear it apart after finally getting put together!

The VFR is very similar in ride position to a CBR400 'baby blade' which I had for a while..

For me (also 6'3") it was too small really.. I kept it for a while, great engine and fun machine but I think over 6 ft the 400 sports pitch you too far forward and onto your hands too much, so your looking at sore wrists and a slightly off balance feel. Thats how it was for me but everyone is a bit different in what they like, I am not that into head down ass up sport position.

The reason I enjoyed the bandit was it had a sport chassis, yet a more upright stance, so I felt balanced.

Thanks..but now it looks like I can rule out the CBR400 also... :)

Any ideas on what a 7+ year expirienced heavy equipment mechanic with some safety background can do in thailand to support himself legally or at least in the gray?

Offshore contracting would be the obvious one..

like drill rigging? never done that, will look into it thanks.

Try Vietnam or Malaysia; both are booming oil wise. They always need educated foreigners even though they can use cheap local labour; but you get what you pay for :) I am personally not in that business but there are alot of westerners in it. How can I change career? :D

I would store the bike. It takes a couple of years to get a Thai bike right and I would hate to go through it all again. Find someone to store it for you. Expat motors if you can't?

How about being a man whore? I have been contemplating getting into that line of work. I mean, you got alot of like male sexpats in Thailand. I figure there is probably a huge and untapped market pleasuring lonely women.

How about being a man whore? I have been contemplating getting into that line of work. I mean, you got alot of like male sexpats in Thailand. I figure there is probably a huge and untapped market pleasuring lonely women.

I doubt i could sleep at night knowing i have to service fat angry farangs on a daily bases. but like you say i am sure its a untapped work area. I leave it in your capable hands!!

Welll the verdicts in, i am keeping the bike come hel_l or high weasles. I appreciate everyones input!

Well the little woman and i have discussed the issue and if something doesnt come up work wise soon i will be headed back the US of A by December. The question that lingers on my mind is what to do with my bike? I know that their are ways to ship it state side but i doubt i could register it to be legal to ride there. But on the other end of the spectrum i am afraid that i would only be able to get a very small portion of what i have put into it.

What do you guys think?

Please send it to my father in law. He'll be happy and might use it a s a Kubota. Here's his number; 045643780 Thanks for your chai dee maak behaviour.

What do you guys think?

Sorry to say but biting the bullet selling off is the better option, I am afraid.

Don't know your profession exactly but there are some projects kicking off this year in Thailand, very very few expat jobs tho, but there are chances for the ones with the right profession.

Good luck