Pandemic A(H1N1) Hits Bang Kwang Central Prison

george

<br />Might be a good time to NOT crackdown on the people smuggling drugs into prisons. The drug they may start smuggling is Tamiflu.<br /><br />On a more serious note, however, when you deprive people of their freedom, whether justified or not, you assume a certain responsibility for their care. In a country such as Thailand, that would include food and medicine since the country is not too poor to provide it. <br /><br />As someone else mentioned, there are a lot of people awaiting trial. They haven't been convicted of anything.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks Scott

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It as only a matter of time before it reaches the prison which will be the perfect place for it to spread. I mentioned in a post a few weeks back that a riot had been caused in a US prison by a few of cases of swine flu.

If they start pulling lots of untreated people out in body bags there will be quite an uproar both locally and internationally.

It will show the system up for what it is, either efficient and professional or inept and unprepared, I know which outcome my money is on.

"THEY" won't care.

Prisoners are not helpless minorities. They have chosen to break the laws of the people and rightly so have no say in what happens to them. The majority of prisoners are young men and therefore should be last on the list to receive medicine for swine flu.

They are helpless in the respect that their ability to help themselves in this situation has been taken away, there is no denying that.

What they did to end up in their current predicament is largely irrelevant to this argument. They have been sentenced to a period of confinement, not death by disease, infection and lack of proper treatment.

Regarding young men being last in line for treatment, I fail to see why this should be the case, do you have something against young men ? Is this some chivalrous attitude from days long gone which you would like to force onto other people or are you just misinformed about the ages of the people whom this disease is killing ?

I'm going to presume here that you are not in the group of 'young men' who should be last in line for treatment, correct me if I'm wrong.

If it progresses in a similar manner to that of the 1918 H1N1 Swine Flu pandemic it will be the young people with good healthy immune systems who will be most at risk due to the 'Cytokine Storm' reaction which is thought to have killed many of the young and otherwise healthy victims back then.

This particular flu appears to be hospitalising and killing a disproportionately larger number of young healthy people than other recent flu epidemics.

Thankyou for this post..Less of the flippent posts by the old bores on here please... Some people need to get a life and get real!

"You can judge a people by the way in which they treat their helpless minorities, those who have no say in what happens to them and who are unable through various circumstances to help themselves. In this case I'm referring to prisoners, refugees and the very poor."

Prisoners are not helpless minorities. They have chosen to break the laws of the people and rightly so have no say in what happens to them. The majority of prisoners are young men and therefore should be last on the list to receive medicine for swine flu.

Surely ** if one person is innocent they all should get anti-virrals? Like to see you in there on a trumped up charge...

"You can judge a people by the way in which they treat their helpless minorities, those who have no say in what happens to them and who are unable through various circumstances to help themselves. In this case I'm referring to prisoners, refugees and the very poor."

Surely ** if one person is innocent they all should get anti-virrals? Like to see you in there on a trumped up charge...

Thankyou mario2008..you are right...

the CIA should have started their virus in a mexican prison and not pig farm... would be nice if jails all over the world would be clensed from the worst of the worst (that is cought and convicted)...

Thailand ready with 10% of the population... New world order also wants to decimate the world populating by 90% ...

co-insidence ?

Another idiot with no brain why didn't you stay where you came from !

ANOTHER EXCELLENT REASON TO STAY OUT OF PRISON

first SARS

then bird flu

now swine flu

the next one should be the clincher as the human race continues to self-destruct

before SARS we'd got drug resistant TB and syphilis,which were incubated in overcrowded jails of Russia.

If the latter is through, and foreigners do have to pay for their medication, the Thai government would be guilty (and not for the first time) of manslaughter in case someone dies, whose dead could have been prevented if medicines were supplied. I suppose that the International Red Cross will discuss these kind of issues with the Thai government.

If life saving or potential life saving medicines are withheld from any person in the kingdom for the reason of payment, the Thai authorities are in serious breach of their international obligation.

I can't however imagine that this is the case. It is far more likely that there simply are no medicines available at all. Not for Thai prisoners, not for foreigners and unfortunately also not for visitors and guards who will mingle with regular citizens. Prisoners are worth nothing in thailand unless they get attention from foreign media in such case the angry outside world and the lingering loss of face is mostly enough to get the Thai governments going.

Sure, other countries like UK, US of aids and hundreds more torture and kill people for fun, none of the guy's in Bang-Kwan are sitting innocent, tell me, been there done that!! so what the hel_l the heroine they wanted to smuggle could kill, the people they raped, killed, slaugthered, &lt;deleted&gt; them?? no you chose to get the risk to end up there, the sigh on entering the country warns you that trafficing can cost your life, why would they get help on humanity while our western governments kill in name of GOD???

Dutchpad....................I am not sure what your sickness is, but it certainly ain't Swine Fever. :)

They are helpless in the respect that their ability to help themselves in this situation has been taken away, there is no denying that.

What they did to end up in their current predicament is largely irrelevant to this argument. They have been sentenced to a period of confinement, not death by disease, infection and lack of proper treatment.

Regarding young men being last in line for treatment, I fail to see why this should be the case, do you have something against young men ? Is this some chivalrous attitude from days long gone which you would like to force onto other people or are you just misinformed about the ages of the people whom this disease is killing ?

I'm going to presume here that you are not in the group of 'young men' who should be last in line for treatment, correct me if I'm wrong.

If it progresses in a similar manner to that of the 1918 H1N1 Swine Flu pandemic it will be the young people with good healthy immune systems who will be most at risk due to the 'Cytokine Storm' reaction which is thought to have killed many of the young and otherwise healthy victims back then.

This particular flu appears to be hospitalising and killing a disproportionately larger number of young healthy people than other recent flu epidemics.

Thankyou for this post..Less of the flippent posts by the old bores on here please... Some people need to get a life and get real!

There was no h1n1 flu in 1918. There was a swine flu but it's not the same as this one.

They have chosen to break the laws of the people and rightly so have no say in what happens to them. The majority of prisoners are young men and therefore should be last on the list to receive medicine for swine flu.

\

More than 70% of all the 5,000 prisoners in Bangkok Special Prison are awaiting court and judgment.

They have NOT been sentenced and have NOT been given any chance to prove or show their innocence.

This can take years with the system here.

I seriously believe someone is innocent until proven guilty, but it seems your judgment is just to kill them all if their unfortunate enough to be waiting their court case in jail.

Which Embassy do you work for ?

Yes its sad i know Satayu, but some such as Barry have their own sickness to cope with, hate is obviously amongst the symptons.

There was no h1n1 flu in 1918. There was a swine flu but it's not the same as this one.

Sure it was : http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/ABOUT/QA/1918flupandemic.htm

Not all H1N1's are the same.

It's worth noting that the above linked article was written by the US CDC in 2005 and it talks all about H1N1 in the 1918 Pandemic. They also say that H1N1 is unlikely to re-emerge as a pandemic strain, I guess they were wrong about this.

Obviously you don't know the young and healthy are the ones dying most often.

Plus what the other guy said.

What if you or your family were falsly accused and sent to this detention facility?. And as a product of that stay, while awaiting process to prove your innocence ,beyond all reasonable doubt, contracted the virus?. And then were released into the general population?, then only (innocently) to spread the virus onto innocent general Thai population?

It is this observers opnion, an acute anal crainiotomy ( to treat the author ) is called for.

:)

Obviously you are very nieve in general and about Asian countries, their legal systems, and law enforcement personel. You must not know much about Thailand and its corruption. Many innocent people are in prison. Many innocent people not able to pay "big" tea money are in prison. Many guilty people have paid their way out of a prison stay. There have been many people on death row in the USA who were luckily found to be innocent before they were put to death. I had a friend spend 5 years in a California prison for a rape he did not commit. If innocent people can be locked up in a country with one of the best legal systems in the world (like the USA), what do you think can happen in Thailand? A friend of mine was set up in Laos on a bogus drug charge and was taken on a 2 hour trip in the middle of the night into the rainforest while being held in the back of a large military truck with about 8 law enforcement / military people. A trial was held in the forest for my friend and his friend. They were "found guilty" and were told the sentence was death. After long discussions, my friend convinced the officers that they could pay them to ensure their freedom. My friend's friend was released and drove back to town where he was able to withdraw money from a bank. He then came back to the trial area and paid the law enforcement / military officers the money. They were then released. I have spent much time in many Asian countries and studied them for many years. I suggest you do the same before you and the few others on this thread make stupid comments such as "let them die in prison" ... "they are guily and deserve to die prison." Why do you people make ignorant "blanket" statements. Are you familiar with and studied every case of every prisoner in the prison system in LOS? I think not! Keep your ignorant comments to yourself. Hope for yourself you are never charged with a crime you did not commit in SE Asia...or you might die in an Asian prison while crying for your mommy to help you. Asian prisons are not nice like a Canadian prison. Asian prisons are like a hel_l.

Stated well. Thanks for the logical thinking.

the CIA should have started their virus in a mexican prison and not pig farm... would be nice if jails all over the world would be clensed from the worst of the worst (that is cought and convicted)...

It's people like you who are the worst of the worst.

Cold, heartless ..... (forum rules prohibit any further appropriate adjectives)

Obviously you are very nieve in general and about Asian countries, their legal systems, and law enforcement personel. You must not know much about Thailand and its corruption. Many innocent people are in prison. Many innocent people not able to pay "big" tea money are in prison. Many guilty people have paid their way out of a prison stay. There have been many people on death row in the USA who were luckily found to be innocent before they were put to death. I had a friend spend 5 years in a California prison for a rape he did not commit. If innocent people can be locked up in a country with one of the best legal systems in the world (like the USA), what do you think can happen in Thailand? A friend of mine was set up in Laos on a bogus drug charge and was taken on a 2 hour trip in the middle of the night into the rainforest while being held in the back of a large military truck with about 8 law enforcement / military people. A trial was held in the forest for my friend and his friend. They were "found guilty" and were told the sentence was death. After long discussions, my friend convinced the officers that they could pay them to ensure their freedom. My friend's friend was released and drove back to town where he was able to withdraw money from a bank. He then came back to the trial area and paid the law enforcement / military officers the money. They were then released. I have spent much time in many Asian countries and studied them for many years. I suggest you do the same before you and the few others on this thread make stupid comments such as "let them die in prison" ... "they are guily and deserve to die prison." Why do you people make ignorant "blanket" statements. Are you familiar with and studied every case of every prisoner in the prison system in LOS? I think not! Keep your ignorant comments to yourself. Hope for yourself you are never charged with a crime you did not commit in SE Asia...or you might die in an Asian prison while crying for your mommy to help you. Asian prisons are not nice like a Canadian prison. Asian prisons are like a hel_l.

Even if the prisoners are guilty, they still have the right to be kept healthy while they serve out their sentences. They are people, not animals.

muythai

i believe your personal experiences, muythai. just like mr s who posted earlier that he was found by the thai court to be innocent of all the charges... but that was after 5 months in thai prison. he was finally released but without compensation at all. yes, 5 months in thai prison even when he did not commit the alleged crime....

muythai, you were right that there are still many innocent persons being kept in prisons until proven innocent, not until proven guilty.... i agree with you wholeheartedly.

that being said, there are others from very different backgrounds reading and posting in thaivisa, they are voicing their opinions from their personal experiences as well, which in reality, might or might not be in the majority nor in the mainstream of things, but then again--those are their personal opinions which they also have the equal rights, just like us and everyone else, to voice them according to what they deem fit.... it is just like all the accused should have their days in court before someone brands any of them guilty as the devils....

sometimes, i personally find it very difficult to agree with some of the posters' comments, and i so very much wanted to scream to the contrary....

but then i begin to ask myself, if i as a person do not accept their rights to say what they think.... then do i personally have any more rights than they do--to say what i think.... don't you agree, muythai?

Even if the prisoners are guilty, they still have the right to be kept healthy while they serve out their sentences. They are people, not animals.

Very true...i totally agree, they are all still people maybe someone's husband,wife, father, mother, sister or brother.......while some of them may have done very bad things is dying of swine flu not an easy way out for them, im sure staying in that prison is a lot lot worse!

maybe swine flu is the least of your worries

Thousands of people have been placed in quarantine in north-western China after a man died of pneumonic plague.

Chinese authorities say the man who died was a 32-year-old herdsman from a sparsely populated area mostly inhabited by Tibetans.

Most of the other 11 people infected with the disease are relatives of the dead man.

The local government has not yet said when the man died but it has sealed off the town where the outbreak occurred.

It says there are enough supplies to feed the 10,000 or so people who live in the town of Ziketan, near Xinghai in Qinghai province, during the quarantine period.

Pneumonic plague is a virulent form of the disease that attacks the lungs. It can spread from person to person, or from animals to people.

Initial symptoms include fever, headache and shortness of breath.

To reduce the chances of death, anyone infected needs to receive treatment within 24 hours of the first symptoms.

Lots of trolls commenting on this thread.

I just feel sorry for anyone trapped in a thai prison who has to deal with h1n1. I had it and it was a horrible experience. At least I had a warm bed, fresh warm water and access to drugs. Although I had a bad reaction to the Tamiflu so that may not help everyone even if they can get it. I can't think of much worse than going through the worst part of this flu in Bang Kwang. It would probably finish me psychologically. I can only imagine what they are going through with the outbreak.

Thailand ready with 10% of the population... New world order also wants to decimate the world populating by 90% ...

co-insidence ?

Same as it ever was.....

Many innocent people not able to pay "big" tea money are in prison.

FALANG = SATANG

we are nothing but a walking ATM to the Thais

co-insidence ?

if your education led to your spelling i an not shocked by your beliefs.