Growing Dairy Farming Business

Dairy Farming greatly depend on the demands of cow milk by consumers. Dairy Farming have great roll in distribution of milk and production of a milk products, such as butter, cheese, dried milk & more. In recent years, Dairy Farming is getting more popular; because of increasing demands by consumers.

Ricpon456

Yes, the is a year on year increase in the demand for dairy products in Thailand - primarily a spin off of Thai urbanisation and a slow but consistant move towards Western diets (with its added fat content). None the less the Thai dariy industry is riddeled with problems and more diary farmers go out of dairy farming each year in Thailand, than go into dairy farming.

Where should I start - I'll summarise the problems:

1) In- Efficiency - how is it that New Zealand and Aussie dairy farmers are able to milk cows, process the product, package it and ship it to Thailand - and make a profit: because the, in many ways similar to the Thai rice industry, Thai dairy industry logistics,processing and distrabution are hopelessly inefficient.

2) Education - the average dairy farmer in Thailand does not have the educational background to manage a dairy business competitively (and by competitvely I mean: is able to manage and feed a herd to produce milk at a cost that can compete with Pacific Rim imports, while making a profit).

3) Climate - Thailand doe snot have a favourable dairy industry climate: while the heat is tolerable (although at the top extreme of what is tolerable), humidity reduces yeild substantaily compared to New Zealand/Aussie and European dairy cow yields - average Thai diary cow output is around 1/4 - 1/3 of what the same cows would be producing in the aforementioned countries.

4) Then there are economics of land ownership and water management - a discussion which we could fill a dozen pages if we were to discuss it in any detail.

Dairy farming in Thailand is a long term exercise in Thailand.

Firstly one needs to decide on the area they wish to farm in - in Thailand the best region bar none is the Muek Lek/Pak Chong area (starting at the bottom of the plateau by the cement factory, and onwards through t the far side of Pak Chong where the Mittraphap through road joins back with national highway heading North East). The further North you head, the less ideal the conditions become.

That decision (i.e. exact location) needs to be made primaryly on the basis of potential crop yield per unit area of land versus herd size, and is tied into the next important factor - Water

Avaliblity and cost of water is the next consideration: i.e. is there sufficient water to support both feed/crop production throughout the year, and what is it goign to cost to lift and store that water(?).

Now - and only now do you start looking at your diary cow genetics: in other words, cattle are selected on the basis of the conditions you can offer them. What is a "good" cow for me in Loei is not neccersarily a good choice for a dairy farmer in Muek Lek or Korat (and vice-versus).

In any event its a long term exercise - take it form me: if you wish to get into dairy farming, expect it to be 5years plus before you start to see light at the end of the tunnel - and those first 5years will be 24/7/365 (and a 1/4), and not a minute less. You will make many many mistakes, you will work 18hr days, day in day out, you will be up every morning at 4am (at the latest!) - its a learning curve like you can't belive. It takes nothing les than full 101% committment.

Dairy Farming greatly depend on the demands of cow milk by consumers. Dairy Farming have great roll in distribution of milk and production of a milk products, such as butter, cheese, dried milk & more. In recent years, Dairy Farming is getting more popular; because of increasing demands by consumers.

This demand is largely manifested from foreign communities, not local.

This demand is largely manifested from foreign communities, not local.

Would you say so. The mainstream supermarkets are stacked with milk drinks and some products mainly aimed at Thais. Locals just seem to love cheese nowadays and Thai style bakeries must use shedloads of butter. Foreigners represent a small percentage of overall domestic demand IMO.

Regardless with a bit of luck the price of cheese might come down, that would suit most of us foreigners.

regards Bojo

In respect of fresh milk - yes, most fresh milk production in Thailand is consumed by foreigners, but thats where it stops: fresh milk accounts for around 25% of Thai dairy output. the rest goes into cheese, yogurts, dried milk products, food processing ect ect .... and nearly all of this is based on the Thai consumer and their requirements. In short, its somewher between 90 - 95% of Thai dairy output is consumed by Thai's - the majoirty of it been in cheese and icecream products.

Ricpon456

Yes, the is a year on year increase in the demand for dairy products in Thailand - primarily a spin off of Thai urbanisation and a slow but consistant move towards Western diets (with its added fat content). None the less the Thai dariy industry is riddeled with problems and more diary farmers go out of dairy farming each year in Thailand, than go into dairy farming.

Where should I start - I'll summarise the problems:

1) In- Efficiency - how is it that New Zealand and Aussie dairy farmers are able to milk cows, process the product, package it and ship it to Thailand - and make a profit: because the, in many ways similar to the Thai rice industry, Thai dairy industry logistics,processing and distrabution are hopelessly inefficient.

2) Education - the average dairy farmer in Thailand does not have the educational background to manage a dairy business competitively (and by competitvely I mean: is able to manage and feed a herd to produce milk at a cost that can compete with Pacific Rim imports, while making a profit).

3) Climate - Thailand doe snot have a favourable dairy industry climate: while the heat is tolerable (although at the top extreme of what is tolerable), humidity reduces yeild substantaily compared to New Zealand/Aussie and European dairy cow yields - average Thai diary cow output is around 1/4 - 1/3 of what the same cows would be producing in the aforementioned countries.

4) Then there are economics of land ownership and water management - a discussion which we could fill a dozen pages if we were to discuss it in any detail.

Dairy farming in Thailand is a long term exercise in Thailand.

Firstly one needs to decide on the area they wish to farm in - in Thailand the best region bar none is the Muek Lek/Pak Chong area (starting at the bottom of the plateau by the cement factory, and onwards through t the far side of Pak Chong where the Mittraphap through road joins back with national highway heading North East). The further North you head, the less ideal the conditions become.

That decision (i.e. exact location) needs to be made primaryly on the basis of potential crop yield per unit area of land versus herd size, and is tied into the next important factor - Water

Avaliblity and cost of water is the next consideration: i.e. is there sufficient water to support both feed/crop production throughout the year, and what is it goign to cost to lift and store that water(?).

Now - and only now do you start looking at your diary cow genetics: in other words, cattle are selected on the basis of the conditions you can offer them. What is a "good" cow for me in Loei is not neccersarily a good choice for a dairy farmer in Muek Lek or Korat (and vice-versus).

In any event its a long term exercise - take it form me: if you wish to get into dairy farming, expect it to be 5years plus before you start to see light at the end of the tunnel - and those first 5years will be 24/7/365 (and a 1/4), and not a minute less. You will make many many mistakes, you will work 18hr days, day in day out, you will be up every morning at 4am (at the latest!) - its a learning curve like you can't belive. It takes nothing les than full 101% committment.

admiration!

Maizefarmer,a farm knowleage idol..

I want to learn more from you!..

Watched a short video (10 min.) today on a fairly large dairy in midwest, US. 25,000 acre farm, milking 32,000 cows, 3 times daily, feeding 100 lbs grain/silage to each cow, produced enough milk daily for the consumption of about 5 million people. The set up was 1 hour south of Chicago. They give tours for the city slickers to show calving (80/day) milking (80 every 8 min in 10 barns) etc. I thought I had seen some large operations but they pale compared to this. Just had to pass this along even if off topic. It does show the direction a lot of farming operations are going, size wise, in the ag sector.

UHT - Ultra High Temp: steam is used to steralise the milk, and kill off most of the natural bacteria. Takes palce at around 130 - 140degree C. The milk then has to be sealed in whatever container its put into.

The result: while it messes up the natural taste, it is then able to last for months and months and doesn't need to be refrigerated. Popular in rural areas all over the world for obvious regions.

I told the missus I want to get a cow and get the dudes that live on the famr to milk it each morning, giving us fresh milk and most of all....my favourite, cream.

Just like i remember on my grandparents farm, it would go straight in the fridge and be consumed, any left given to the cats.

Missus said we would have to buy a pastueriser to treat it before we could drink it cos of all the bacteriea and shit.....I laughed, quietly.

I told the missus I want to get a cow and get the dudes that live on the famr to milk it each morning, giving us fresh milk and most of all....my favourite, cream.

Just like i remember on my grandparents farm, it would go straight in the fridge and be consumed, any left given to the cats.

Missus said we would have to buy a pastueriser to treat it before we could drink it cos of all the bacteriea and shit.....I laughed, quietly.

Raw milk .... the best milk.