Earthquake/tsunami Predictions?

rundmw

My Thai girlfriend claims that there is another earthquake/tsunami expected to affect Phuket on approx March 12. She claims that everyone is talking about it and planning to go home to the provinces, and that official-looking police-like vehicles are running around Patong with loud-speakers announcing the impending event.

It strikes me as the typical scuttlebutt that goes around among superstitious folks. I am trying to explain to her that if it were real, I would certainly expect to have read about it in the newspapers or on the mainstream news sites online, seen it on TV, etc. Not to mention the unlikelihood that they can predict with that kind of accuracy.

But, of course, this has no impact on her.

Still, I want to at least be open to the possibility that there is something going on of which I am unaware. After all, this is Thailand, and we farang are often the last to know anything.

Anybody got any ideas about what's up?

Thanks,

My Thai girlfriend claims that there is another earthquake/tsunami expected to affect Phuket on approx March 12. She claims that everyone is talking about it and planning to go home to the provinces, and that official-looking police-like vehicles are running around Patong with loud-speakers announcing the impending event.

It strikes me as the typical scuttlebutt that goes around among superstitious folks. I am trying to explain to her that if it were real, I would certainly expect to have read about it in the newspapers or on the mainstream news sites online, seen it on TV, etc.  Not to mention the unlikelihood that they can predict with that kind of accuracy.

Still, I want to at least be open to the possibility that there is something going on of which I am unaware. After all, this is Thailand, and we farang are often the last to know anything.

Thanks,

You poor fellow! -- imagine that; the Thais purposely not telling you anything. What's wrong with them? And especially considering that you've brought your great wealth here!

:o

It strikes me as the typical scuttlebutt that goes around among superstitious folks. I am trying to explain to her that if it were real, I would certainly expect to have read about it in the newspapers or on the mainstream news sites online, seen it on TV, etc.  Not to mention the unlikelihood that they can predict with that kind of accuracy.

Thanks,

What, the Thais have developed a way to predict earthquakes?? Gimme a break.