Bangkok Airways Crash in Koh Samui

SilentReader

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok airways safety record had just taken a steep nosedive, 2 crashes in less than 20 years and at the same airport.

The first crashed on a chicken farm on the ring road at the south end of Chaweng, apparently mistaking the ringroad for the runway, so goes the rumour.

Regards Bojo

Anyone have any idea how long the airport might be closed. Bangkok Airways website seems to be down. Suvarnabhumi real time departures currently (4.50pm) has no cancellation to Samui with two flights expected to leave at 5.00pm and then one at 6.30pm

The Actually it is plagued by a history of problems/ATR 72-500 has a history of failure and accidents related to:

-Fuel Exhaustion and accidents caused by malfunctioning fuel indicators

Rubbish.

Mechanics installed the fuel indicators for the wrong type of aircraft. Not the aircraft's fault.

-Engine and component icing problems even in areas with warmer climates. (icing more a condition of humidity and altitude than just location.)[/b] [/i]

Only two crashes due to icing, one was blatant crew error in not following de-icing procedures.

Three fatal accidents in the aircraft's history before today.

Edited by cdnvic

Anyone have any idea how long the airport might be closed. Bangkok Airways website seems to be down. Suvarnabhumi real time departures currently (4.50pm) has no cancellation to Samui with two flights expected to leave at 5.00pm and then one at 6.30pm

I think George already said that the airline's owner is due to give a press conference starting right now, so I think more information about the accident itself and any knock on effects will become clear over the next few hours.

I find it hard to believe that anything will be landing in Samui for several hours, but again this is an assumption and I do not have all the facts.

For those that want some more information, CH7 are covering the accident in some depth with digital reconstructions of the accident, videos and reports from those at the scene, admittedly all in Thai.

Edited by ManInSurat

He probably landed in similar conditions all the time and was perfectly competent at it, but on this occasion a gust of wind and a critical point knocked him off line and he couldn't recover. It's a bit like the Qantas incident in '99 but without the soft golf course to slide into.

I live under the flight path to Samui airport and am constantly surprised to see them landing in the same direction the wind is blowing. I always thought that they were supposed to land in the opposite direction as it helps to slow them down and actually helps them to control the landing better.

If they were coming in from the north today when the storm hit, then I am not surprised there was a problem. It was one of the sharpest gusts I have seen. It blew tables over and scared us all as it felt like the building was going to move. It only lasted a few minutes but if it was the exact sae time then I am sure it was not expected and surprised everyone. We keep a constant eye out for the weather blowing in and were surprised by its speed and strength. We don’t have high tech equipment to monitor it but I believe it could not be predicted with accuracy by anything available here.

Condolences to the friends and family of those that have died (rumours are going around that some in the tower building died as well - but nothing confirmed anywhere yet) and we wish a speedy recovery to the rest.

QUOTE: "The crash is the second the airline has had at Samui, with a de Havilland Canada DHC-8-103 crashing in similar circumstances in November 1990, killing all 38 people on board."

I thought that one crashed into the mountains??????

Today's Bangkok Airways Flight 266 that skid and crashed into the Samui Airport Tower is not new for this aircraft.

A couple of posters stated this aircraft French made ATR 72-500 is safe. Actually it is plagued by a history of problems.

American Eagle and Delta Airlines grounded their whole fleet after a few problems and then removed all of them permanently from service in any temperate climate routes.

The ATR 72-500 has a history of failure and accidents related to:

-Engine and component icing problems even in areas with warmer climates. (icing more a condition of humidity and altitude than just location.)

An ATR 72 aircraft belonging to a Tunisian airline was also involved in an accident on a flight from Tunisia to Italy, for the record. All on board perished. Doubt that the crash in Samui had anything to do with malfunctioning fuel indicators or icing though, sounds just like bad weather and caught by a freak gust of wind. My thoughts are with the families of the dead and injured.

For the record, it's not a jet (see photos).

All the news agencies had to do was Google ATR 72. :)

For the record it was. It's a turboprop. It has gas turbine engines.

It's just that the blades (propellors are visible).

Wouldn't it be a nice change to have all the armchair experts hold back from

their pontificating until the accident investigators have done their job.

The ATR 72-500 has a history of failure and accidents related to:

Mechanics installed the fuel indicators for the wrong type of aircraft. Not the aircraft's fault.

-Engine and component icing problems even in areas with warmer climates. (icing more a condition of humidity and altitude than just location.)[/b]

Only two crashes due to icing, one was blatant crew error in not following de-icing procedures.

Three fatal accidents in the aircraft's history before today.

It is amazing to see how some persons, DMasut in this case, without any basic knowledge can make such a statement.....Thank you CDNVIC to restore the truth about the ATR 72 (similar to ATR 42, BTW). Excellent plane, safe. and in operation almost everywhere in the world. Some bad mouth could also mention the crash of the ATR 72 from RAM. The pilot committed suicide by bringing the plane in a nose dive until it hit the ground. All on board died instantly. Maybe another faulty ATR???

Bangkok airways safety record had just taken a steep nosedive, 2 crashes in less than 20 years and at the same airport.

The first crashed on a chicken farm on the ring road at the south end of Chaweng, apparently mistaking the ringroad for the runway, so goes the rumour.

Regards Bojo

Nosedive ???

accidents do happen . I'm sure BKK Air got full service on these airplanes . They are a luxurious ( price!! ) short hauled carrier and sometime travelling in very difficult weather . The ATR's are very airworthy and can handle a lot . Samui has got a lot of crosswinds just b4 landing , so it is only a matter of time before 1 skids of the runway . It happened now and it is not good but the safety record does not suffer a lot IMHO .

For the record, it's not a jet (see photos).

All the news agencies had to do was Google ATR 72. :D

For the record it was. It's a turboprop. It has gas turbine engines.

It's just that the blades (propellors are visible).

As stated several times, and backed up by any reliable source in aviation, that does not make it a jet, it makes it a turboprop.

Just as a piston engine does not make it an automobile. :)

Oh, and it's NOT a gas turbine (Look it up first before posting)

Edited by cdnvic

One dead as plane crashes at Thai airport

BANGKOK: -- A Bangkok Airways plane crashed at an airport at a resort island in Thailand, killing the pilot and injuring 37 people Tuesday, aviation officials said.

The plane carrying 68 people and four crew members skidded and then crashed after landing at Koh Samui airport, officials with the civil aviation department said.

The ATR-72 turboprop had taken off from the town of Krabi on the west coast Thailand for its trip to the resort island of Koh Samui.

Air traffic control warned the pilot of volatile winds before the plane landed, aviation officials said.

Seven people were seriously injured and emergency officials were working to free the plane's co-pilot who was trapped in the plane, officials said.

-- CNN/Dan Rivers 2009-08-04

It is amazing to see how some persons, DMasut in this case, without any basic knowledge can make such a statement

People seem to love blowing things out of proportion and not checking facts. It really bugs me because enough people are nervous fliers due to actual accidents without half truths, exaggerations, and plain ignorant gossip thrown into the mix.

Here is the weather report about 30 minutes before the accident (I believe it was at 1430 local):

VTSM 040700Z 29015KT 9000 FEW020TCU SCT120 BKN300 31/25 Q1007 A2974 TCU-NW

VTSM = airport ID

040700Z = 4th day of the month, 0700Z (GMT)

29015KT = winds are out of the west (from 290 degrees) at 15 knots (about 18mph)

9000 = visibility 9000 meters

FEW020TCU = Few clouds at 2000 feet and towering cumulus

SCT120 = scattered clouds at 12,000 feet

BKN300 = broken clouds at 30,000 feet

31/25 = temp 31C, dewpoint 25C

Q1007 A2974 = altimetery values

TCU-NW = towering cumulus northwest of the airport

Towering cumulus in the area means that windshear could be involved because they are associated with TCUs. However, towering cumulus are not uncommon, and its not uncommon to land when they are in the area.. it happens all the time. The fact that they were in the area when there was an accident like this points to windshear as a possible factor after the fact.

It is amazing to see how some persons, DMasut in this case, without any basic knowledge can make such a statement

People seem to love blowing things out of proportion and not checking facts. It really bugs me because enough people are nervous fliers due to actual accidents without half truths, exaggerations, and plain ignorant gossip thrown into the mix.

I second that!

Regards Bojo

Nosedive ???

accidents do happen . I'm sure BKK Air got full service on these airplanes . They are a luxurious ( price!! ) short hauled carrier and sometime travelling in very difficult weather . The ATR's are very airworthy and can handle a lot . Samui has got a lot of crosswinds just b4 landing , so it is only a matter of time before 1 skids of the runway . It happened now and it is not good but the safety record does not suffer a lot IMHO .

As apposed to a steep nose dive, I would be more inclined to call it a slight decrease in altitude. BKK airways are amonst the safest airlines.

The pilots of these craft are to be applauded, Samui is not the easiest of airports to land at due to cross winds. The rain that arrived today did not help matters it was horrendous.

Condolences to the pilots family and speedy recovery to those injured.

Bangkok Airways announces 7 passengers severely injured

Bangkok Airways announced Tuesday that 9 passengers of Flight PG 266 were injured, seven of them severely, in the accident at the Samui island.

Bangkok Airways said 61 other passengers were safe along with two flight attendants.

It said the pilot was killed and the co-pilot was safe.

It said relatives could contact its emergency call centre at 02-2687557 for more information.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-04