Samui's Plane Crash Will Not Affect Tourism

after todays plane crash in samui, and global media coverage of the event, do you think this will worsen the already down numbers of toursists in samui?

after speaking with a few people at work here in london, they have ALL mentioned they will not travel here due to political crisis, high prices and now plane crashes .....

Edited by Boater

Phuket had a an airplane crash last year where unfortunately there was a fairly high deth toll. People still fly to Phuket.

In my opinion this crash won't affect Samui in the longterm. It's sad and unfortunate that it happened and RIP to the pilot and his family however, it could have been a lot worse. Just imho.

after todays plane crash in samui, and global media coverage of the event, do you think this will worsen the already down numbers of toursists in samui?

after speaking with a few people at work here in london, they have ALL mentioned they will not travel here due to political crisis, high prices and now plane crashes .....

No, i would'nt imagine this event will wosren the already delpeating numbers. Nor would the political crisis.

However, high prices and continued negitive press re Thailand might encourage people to look elsewhere.

Do You Think The Plane Crash Will Worsen Tourism In Samui?

No.

Explanation: for this summer season, 99% of the tourists made up their plans already -or not-.

Maybe a few will change their plans (if they can and didn't prepay their bookings).

A (small one in this case) disaster is forgotten within weeks nowadays.

LaoPo

Not at all. Most understand that occasional plane accidents happen everywhere and the odds....?? Aside from the promoted obvious, tourist and traveller types tend to take on a catatonic state.

Considering the death toll was thankfully very low, I doubt it will make a significant difference, only marginally.

regards Bojo

Have to wonder if this little piss-ant insignificant incident made news {at all} outside of the LOS..???

Considering the death toll was thankfully very low, I doubt it will make a significant difference, only marginally.

regards Bojo

Have to wonder if this little piss-ant insignificant incident made news {at all} outside of the LOS..???

Almost nothing :)

http://news.google.com/news/story?ncl=dz0M...n-US&ned=us

Bangkok Airways crash kills captain, injures 11

AsiaOne - ‎27 minutes ago‎

A Bangkok Airways turboprop skidded off a runway on the southern resort island of Koh Samui yesterday, killing its pilot and injuring 11 passengers and crew ...

Portsmouth honeymoon couple injured in Thai jet crash on Samui

Times Online - Sian Powell - ‎1 hour ago‎

A British man on his honeymoon described yesterday how he and his wife feared for their lives after an aircraft skidded off the runway at Ko Samui airport ...

Brits hurt in jet horror

The Sun - Alex Peake - ‎2 hours ago‎

FOUR Britons cheated death yesterday when this plane careered off a runway and crashed into a control tower, killing the pilot. ...

Thai Tourist Paradise Trauma

The Statesman - ‎2 hours ago‎

BANGKOK, 4 AUG: A pilot was killed and seven passengers were hospitalised today when a Bangkok Airways jet (in photographs above) skidded and hit an old ...

Plane hits air traffic tower

New Zealand Herald - ‎3 hours ago‎

A domestic airliner skidded off a runway and crashed into a disused air traffic control tower after landing last night on the Thai island of Samui. ...

Pilot killed in plane crash at Thai resort

Telegraph.co.uk - Thomas Bell - ‎3 hours ago‎

The pilot was killed and 7 foreign tourists hospitalised when an aeroplane slid of the runway in bad weather on the Thai holiday island of Koh Samui on ...

Plane hits control tower at Thai airport, 1 killed

The Associated Press - Ambika Ahuja - ‎4 hours ago‎

BANGKOK — A passenger plane skidded off the runway and crashed into a building after landing on the Thai resort island of Samui on Tuesday, ...

Holiday flight crashes in storm

The Press Association - ‎8 hours ago‎

A passenger plane has crashed into a building after landing on the Thai holiday island of Samui, killing the captain and injuring at least seven others. ...

Pilot Killed In Thai Runway Crash

Sky News - ‎8 hours ago‎

A pilot has been killed after his passenger plane skidded off a runway and hit a disused air traffic control tower on the Thai resort island of Ko Samui. ...

No news of Australians in Thai crash

The Age - ‎9 hours ago‎

Authorities are trying to determine if any Australians were injured when a commercial jet skidded off the runway as it landed on Thailand's resort island of ...

Thailand's Bangkok Airways plane slides off runway, pilot death ...

Xinhua - Wang Guanqun - ‎10 hours ago‎

BANGKOK, Aug. 4 (Xinhua) -- A plane of Bangkok Airways, the private-owned carrier, slid off runway and crashed into an old air traffic control tower on ...

Pilot killed as plane slides off runway in Thailand

ITN NEWS - ‎10 hours ago‎

A pilot has been killed, and at least 7 people injured, after a plane slid off a runway into a disused control tower on the Thai island of Koh Samui. ...

Pilot killed in Thai plane crash

BBC News - ‎10 hours ago‎

The pilot of a Thai plane has been killed and seven passengers injured as it skidded off the runway while landing on the tourist island of Koh Samui. ...

Pilot dead, 42 hurt after Thai jet skids off runway: airline, ministry

AFP - ‎5 hours ago‎

BANGKOK — A pilot was killed and seven passengers hospitalised Tuesday when a Bangkok Airways jet skidded and hit an old control tower as it landed on ...

THAILAND: AEROPLANE ACCIDENT IN SAMUI, 1 DEAD, 40 INJURED

AGI - Agenzia Giornalistica Italia - ‎11 hours ago‎

(AGI) - Bangkok, 4 Aug. - Aeroplane accident occurred at the Thai airport of Koh Samui. A Bangkok Airwais domestic flight crashed into a control tower after ...

Thai plane crashes on Koh Samui, 1 dead

Reuters - Panarat Thepgumpanat, Kittipong Soonprasert - ‎11 hours ago‎

BANGKOK, Aug 4 (Reuters) - A pilot died and at least seven passengers were injured when a commercial plane slid off a runway into a disused control tower on ...

Pilot dies as plane collides with Thai control tower

Belfast Telegraph - ‎12 hours ago‎

An airplane pilot has died after an aircraft carrying nearly 70 passengers skidded off a runway and collided with an air traffic control tower in Thailand ...

Feeling guilty about Samui trip

Straits Times - ‎12 hours ago‎

I WAS on a break last week - in Koh Samui, Thailand. I flew Bangkok Airways direct. So imagine my shock when news broke about two hours ago that a Bangkok ...

Pilot dies in Thailand plane crash

The Press Association - ‎12 hours ago‎

A plane crashed into a control tower after landing on the Thai holiday island of Samui, killing the pilot and injuring at least seven people including ...

Pilot killed, 40 injured as plane skids off Koh Samui airport runway

New Straits Times - ‎12 hours ago‎

BANGKOK, Tues: A Bangkok Airways pilot was killed when his plane skidded off the runway at the popular Koh Samui Island airport. ...

Plane crashes on Thai resort island

Aljazeera.net - ‎13 hours ago‎

At least one person has been killed and 10 others injured when a passenger aircraft skidded off the runway and crashed as it came into land in heavy rain at ...

One dead as plane crashes at Thai airport

CNN - ‎13 hours ago‎

BANGKOK, Thailand (CNN) -- A Bangkok Airways plane crashed at an airport at a resort island in Thailand, killing the pilot and injuring 37 people Tuesday, ...

Pilot killed as Thai jet skids off runway on holiday island of Koh ...

Telegraph.co.uk - ‎13 hours ago‎

A Bangkok Airways pilot was killed and passengers injured when a jet skidded off the runway and hit the air traffic control tower on Thailand's tourist ...

Thai plane skid kills pilot

CBC.ca - ‎12 hours ago‎

A Bangkok Airways plane is seen after it skidded off the runway Tuesday while attempting to land during heavy rains on Koh Samui, a popular resort island ...

Bangkok Airways Plane Skids At Samui Airport, Killing At Least 10

Bernama - ‎13 hours ago‎

BANGKOK, Aug 4 (Bernama) -- A Bangkok Airways plane skidded at the popular Koh Samui Island airport, killing at least 10 people. ...

Thai terror as jet skids off runway

The Sun - Andrew Drummond - ‎13 hours ago‎

FOUR Brits were among those injured today when a Thai plane crashed killing the pilot. Two suffered broken legs when the packed Bangkok ...

Eyewitness: Israeli rescued from Thai plane

Ynetnews - ‎14 hours ago‎

An Israeli who witnessed a plane crash at the Koh Samui airport in Thailand told Ynet that he had spoken with an Israeli rescued from the aircraft, ...

Pilot killed in Thai plane crash

RTE.ie - ‎12 hours ago‎

A pilot was killed and seven passengers injured when a jet skidded off the runway as it landed on Thailand's resort island of Ko Samui and hit an old ...

Plane crashes on Thai resort island

Aljazeera.net - ‎14 hours ago‎

A passenger aircraft has skidded off the runway and crashed as it came into land in heavy rain at the Thai resort island of Koh Samui. ...

Tragedy on Thai isle as plane hits tower

The Standard - ‎3 hours ago‎

A pilot was killed and seven passengers hospitalized yesterday when a Bangkok Airways plane skidded and hit an old control tower as it landed on Thailand's ...

etc. etc. etc.

Yep, made the UK papers, BBC website etc. today. Don't necessarily agree it was "piss-ant insignificant" considering the injuries and Samui's position in the tourist trade. Thailand is the 3rd most popular long-haul destination for UK holidaymakers apparently.

There are a fair number of people with a fear of flying. In the short-term, some might decide they don't want to use BKK Airways, despite the fact they're going to face far bigger transport risks in Thailand and ignoring the airline's good reputation within international aviation (they would probably do better to avoid operators like 1-2-Go or Orient Thai, who are banned from EU airspace due to various malpractices). So there might be a short-term dip in bookings.

If the investigation does show pilot error, it would damage BKK Airways' image but even then these things tend to be forgotten about fairly quickly once they fade from the news.

Personally speaking, I've flown into Samui loads of times, including a couple occasions of pretty bad weather when the pilots had to perform a go-around, and everything was really professionally handled. Do prefer the jets to ATR's though, I try and avoid those where possible.

most people still regard flying as the safest mode off transport and i doubt that will change despite this terrible accident. However, i do wonder wether some people will shy away from the idea of flying on one of the propeller planes.

most people still regard flying as the safest mode off transport and i doubt that will change despite this terrible accident. However, i do wonder wether some people will shy away from the idea of flying on one of the propeller planes.

I'm one of them , never liked propeller planes , to much noise and bumpy landings.

Incidents like this will not change my mind.

I love the big jets , never had any problems.

Ruangnam Jaikwang, chairman of the Southeastern Thai Hotel Association, said he was confident that Tuesday's plane crash would not affect tourism on Samui island.

Ruangnam said he believed tourists would understand that the crash was an unexpected accident.

A Bangkok Airways flight on Tuesday skidded off runway before plunging into an old tower at Samui airport. The accident killed captain of the flight and injured many others.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 05/08/09http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/30109171/Samui's-plane-crash-will-not-affect-tourism

Ruangnam Jaikwang, chairman of the Southeastern Thai Hotel Association, said he was confident that Tuesday's plane crash would not affect tourism on Samui island.

Ruangnam said he believed tourists would understand that the crash was an unexpected accident.

A Bangkok Airways flight on Tuesday skidded off runway before plunging into an old tower at Samui airport. The accident killed captain of the flight and injured many others.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 05/08/09http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/30109171/Samui's-plane-crash-will-not-affect-tourism

I was there, landing in that wind was not just an accident...it was a mistake. :)

Well i haven`t cancelled my holiday to samui and shall be arriving 12th september. I can`t understand why someone would cancel their holiday to somewhere when in actual fact if they were to cancel anything surely it should be what airline they are with...and even then i think it shows short sightedness and they are too easily spooked. I commend the pilot and co pilot for their quick thinking and bravery and my condolensces to their families at such a difficult time. Surely people should be coming here with gusto to show support for such a beautiful place?

"Different ships , different cap tallies " I know, but will the hundreds of thousands of people due to travel to Majorca this summer not now go because of the problems they have had recently . They have a political crisis , relatively high prices and now bombs !!!!!