'special Room Prices' In Phuket?

ferd54

I just received a bulk email promotion from one of the fancy resorts in Phuket saying they've lowered their prices to 3,800 baht a night....

So, OK the place must be nice, but what got me was "price not including 18.7 percent tax". That's one heck of a tax rate.

I checked a webite and found that resorts add a 10 percent "service charge" and collect 7 percent VAT; the leftover 1.7 percent is for local and provincial tax.

For an area that is appealling loudly for tourist support, I think it's fairly outrageous to affix a 10 percent "hidden" charge. Some restuarants and room service have mandatory service charges in lieu of a tip, but I've never heard of business charging a required "service charge" across the board. So just raise your rates 10 percent and at least advertise more honestly...

In the 30 plus years I have been coming to Thailand I do not recall any time when hotels above tourist class did not add extra charges. It is how it is done. Normally they write ++ after the price to let you know. They don't seem to be hiding it. Even motels in the USA use the same system minus the service charge.

Most travel agents will quote you all inclusive rates and in most cases these rates will be much lower than hotel so I would advise using them.

I do agree with you on the price range being too high for conditions and I do not intend to pay it.

Now when I had to pay for (unused) telephone service in Los Angeles at a top hotel I did get rather peeved. :o

I've never heard of business charging a required "service charge" across the board.

You must not get out much. I doubt there is a single hotel in Europe or Asia above the two or three star level that doesn't add a service charge to the bill, and 10% is on the low end of the scale. On occasion in France and the UK it can go as high as 25%.

I just received a bulk email promotion from one of the fancy resorts in Phuket saying they've lowered their prices to 3,800 baht a night....

Everywhere is +++ these days! I think I know the place you mean - Twin Palms in Surin by any chance? A brilliant hotel, privately run and worth the money.

Plus the staff actually get the service charge so good luck to them.

And no, I don't own the place :o I just stayed there last week

• 3 weeks later...

I must be a cheapskate, I have never paid more than 1000b, and have stayed in some beautiful hotel in Thailand. One in particular was The Karin, in Udon Thani, that was 400b including buffet breakfast. :o

yes there was an article in the Nation yesterday about the hoteliers whingeing and saying they had dropped prices by a mere 30%.

Surely they can do better and recover with incremental spending,after all a room is pretty much fixed cost.

They cant be hurting that much.

I must be a cheapskate, I have never paid more than 1000b, and have stayed in some beautiful hotel in Thailand. One in particular was The Karin, in Udon Thani, that was 400b including buffet breakfast.  :o

I must be a cheapskate, I have never paid more than 1000b, and have stayed in some beautiful hotel in Thailand. One in particular was The Karin, in Udon Thani, that was 400b including buffet breakfast.  :D

Phuket has been the biggest rip off in the country

for a long time now :o

Phuket has been the biggest rip off in the country

for a long time now  :o

Quite right! And the cost of keeping one's yacht at Monte Carlo is disgraceful when compared with the rest of France.

:D

...and the resort that has reduced its price must be managed by a farang. Normal practice here (Phuket) is: if there aren't many customers, put the prices UP to compensate. :D TI :D T

This is NOT aimed at any poster here but at certain tourists in general, and it kinda goes along with this thread.

Ok, I understand the business reasons to lower prices and therfore attract customers, but lets put that aside and look at it this way.

Phuket suffered an unprecedented disaster, thousands are dead, many have lost wives, husbands, children, their homes, their jobs, their sense of security.

And now some whinging prats that watched the whole thing on Television are crying that they don't get a discount? Just what the ###### does Phuket owe them a discount for?

Yeah its expensive (by Thai standards), and crowded, but what resort isn't? If it's too expensive for you, don't go. And don't ask people in Phuket for a discount just because they went through a tragedy, that's ###### up!

cv

/rant over

I can recommend tehe Phuket Palace Resort on Patong Beach, very large rooms, a fantastic pool, and very friendly staff.

The price for a double room with breakfast for two, if you PM me I can as a co owner get you the FOO rate, that's friends of owners rate and up to Nov. it's only

700 bath + 10% service charge.

Just let me know and I'll arrange the booking.

http://phuket.com/phuket-palace/, have a look at our website, but to get the 50% discount PM me. Jorn

A succesful mid range hotels profitabilty is based on occupancy.

I f its quiet or low season smart hoteliers manage inventory and pricing accordingly.

Rooms are a pretty much fixed cost.

If you have a bar and restaurant you can recover margin very quickly as long as you have a decent offering.

I dont think many hoteliers are demonstrating an understanding of what is a pretty much accepted concept in other parts of the world.

Sure they suffered a harrowing natural disaster,but they need to move forward now,and try new concepts if they want a quick recovery.

Bali did this and has recovered from a disgusting event.

This is NOT aimed at any poster here but at certain tourists in general, and it kinda goes along with this thread.

Ok, I understand the business reasons to lower prices and therfore attract customers, but lets put that aside and look at it this way.

Phuket suffered an unprecedented disaster, thousands are dead, many have lost wives, husbands, children, their homes, their jobs, their sense of security.

And now some whinging prats that watched the whole thing on Television are crying that they don't get a discount? Just what the ###### does Phuket owe them a discount for?

Yeah its expensive (by Thai standards), and crowded, but what resort isn't? If it's too expensive for you, don't go. And don't ask people in Phuket for a discount just because they went through a tragedy, that's ###### up!

cv

/rant over

So, OK the place must be nice, but what got me was "price not including 18.7 percent tax". That's one heck of a tax rate.

I checked a webite and found that resorts add a 10 percent "service charge" and collect 7 percent VAT; the leftover 1.7 percent is for local and provincial tax.

For an area that is appealling loudly for tourist support, I think it's fairly outrageous to affix a 10 percent "hidden" charge.  Some restuarants and room service have mandatory service charges in lieu of a tip, but I've never heard of business charging a required "service charge" across the board.  So just raise your rates 10 percent and at least advertise more honestly...

The 10% service charge is standard here for the places where they aim at foreign tourists with decent salaries. I see it everywhere at these places. The service charge usually goes into a lump which is then divided among the staff according to a scheme and added to their monthly pay. In some places the service charge portion of the salary is fixed and independent of how much actual service charge has been collected.

I can understand your feeling that it is dishonest, but for your own peace of mind you really need to get over it if you want to stay in Thailand for an extended time, because business here is all about getting as much money for your merchandise as possible. Advertisements have blatant lies and lame half-truths and that is the way it is. You have to learn to sharpen and rely on your own judgement and double-check things you take for evident in any business transaction.

The above advice to book hotels from travel agents is very sound, because that is usually how you get the best rates.