What Months Is Koh Lanta "closed"?

nicholasmerwood

Will it still be open in April?

Absolutely.

April is a huge holiday month here, Songkran, the Thai Lunar New Year celebration is in April. I'm sure Lanta will have it's share of water throwing.

Overall Lanta doesn't "close". All year around there are places open there, just not as many in low season.

Technically that's correct, Lanta as an island does not close after all people do actually live on it and have done so before tourism was invented.

So while MANY bungalows, restaurants, bars and karaoke places will be closed there is still life to be found but be prepared to be the only guest in your resort of choice.

:)

There are some resorts open from Saladan to Klong Nin, expect to have the beach to yourself (albeit a bit littered with flipflops and driftwood and coconuts from the prevailing wind direction) about 10% of the bars and restaurants still open, and incredible bargaining power for prices. Many of the folks I bump into around the island lately are getting bungalows at 1/3 to 1/2 high season rates. Bargain for your bike rental too, like accommodation, as you will be able to get some great deals. If you're trying to track down any live music, or what bars are open: just ask the young men working at the resorts (beach boys) they will know what (if anything) is going on for any particular night. There isn't much but you will find something to do.

• 2 weeks later...

April is my favourite month in Lanta, goes from crazy busy, through Songkran, winds down, and then suddenly one day the weather changes and it all starts to desert.

It is open all year, just a lot of places close for a month or 2 or more from the end of April.

People live there all year, so some things always running.

Land is not cheap. Ridiculously overpriced is more accurate. A lot for sale last 2 years, for a long time. Possible to find the occaisional deal I am sure, but is not a bargin paradise at all.

Lots of sales at genuine European prices that even the Europeans are floored by.