Transmission Problems With Vigo

redman

As I mentioned in my earlier thread, I have had some problems with my Vigo since it's "ghost" service last week. The starting problem has been fixed by a Toyaota mechanic in Isaan, excellent job as he came to the house, identified the problem and travelled 25 kms each way with the required spare part.

However, what he could not fix, and I suspect it was because I could not explain to him properly, is the recently arrrived(same source date) with the transmission. Driving back from Isaan today, I nearly parked the car as it wants to get out of overdrive and back to Drive. This can be for a few moments or as long as 15 minutes. Then, on the long uphill section after Korat, there was an awful grinding noise and the 4wheel drive alarm light came on. This went off after I stopped the car. (Car has only ever been used once in 4WD, about a year ago)

When on a level section in OD, I have 2000rpm and around 110kms. Soon as it jumps out of OD, I see 3000 rpm and only 100kms. With a corresonding increase in noise levels.

Anyone have any ideas?

Possibly an overheated transmission, is the oil still red or is it brown and smell burnt? if it is you are up for some major expense for a transmission rebuild.

Costs don't come into it as the vehicle is still under warranty. The sign comes up in the book as a 4WD service light

Possibly an overheated transmission, is the oil still red or is it brown and smell burnt? if it is you are up for some major expense for a transmission rebuild.

Costs don't come into it as the vehicle is still under warranty. The sign comes up in the book as a 4WD service light

Lucky you have warranty, is the oil burnt? I would be pushing for a new transmission if you can rather than a local rebuild.

Lucky you have warranty, is the oil burnt? I would be pushing for a new transmission if you can rather than a local rebuild.

Haven't checked the oil, but it was one of the things I asked the Isaan dealer to check. He changed it so the evidence should be right there. Will see Monday, goes to the dealer then

It is not difficult to pull the dipstick and check the oil.

Had the oil just been changed? there are a few different types of transmission fuild and they are not interchangeable. I had a mechanic do a service for me once and put the wrong one in and at a 100 KMH would get a horrible shudder like a bent tail shaft, turned out be the wrong fluid changed it all was well again.

It is not difficult to pull the dipstick and check the oil.

Had the oil just been changed? there are a few different types of transmission fuild and they are not interchangeable. I had a mechanic do a service for me once and put the wrong one in and at a 100 KMH would get a horrible shudder like a bent tail shaft, turned out be the wrong fluid changed it all was well again.

I said already that the Toyota mechanic changed the oil on Thursday past, after I had reported the fault. It only happened a couple of times on the 700km journey up to Isaan, but was a constant on the way back yesterday. It actually started after about 90 minutes of the journey, so maybe after it warmed up, it got worse. I assume it would be the correct oil as it was done in a Toyota dealership. We called the guy today and he said the old oil was very dirty, that is why they changed it.

Are you sure it was 4WD light and not tranmission overheat warning light?

The light is definitely shown as 4WD, but today, while toodling around town in Drive, this light came on twice by itself. Both times I had to stop the engine to get rid of the light. Car either jumped into 4WD (which it didn't) or something is causing the light to come on.

my guess is if it's trying to shift into 4wd there is a problem with the solenoids there are 4 I think . Get the toyota dealer to plug there computer into your car and it should show the fault.

Might be something to look at. My other thread which is about <Corruption at Main Garages> has the following in the first post

<Anyway, they said a plug had been left loose>, so there may be other problems with the electrical system.

What a nightmare