Do You Need Unlimited Gprs For Iphone?

karenmw460

I've ordered an iphone 3gs and was planning on adding some GPRS hours to my current AIS post paid package. AIS offered me 500 hours for 250Baht which seemed OK to me as I don't plan to be online much with my iphone. Maybe just check emails or surf the net now and again (ie not on a daily basis).

But a lot of people have told me that the iphone goes online automatically and is pretty much connected all the time. So. I am not sure now if 500 hours per month would be enough or not. If not, then I would have to purchase an unlimited gprs package. At the same time I don't see the point in paying for unlimited if it is not necesary.

Do any iphone users out there have an idea of their approx gprs usage pe rmonth? I know it is different for everyone, but just a rough guide would help.

Thanks!

Hi

You dont have to be online all the time, just turn it off, easy

Forgot to say that i am online all the time, dont need to but i want my mails all the time and also get on the net.

Edited by HDRIDER

Just set up the email application on your Iphone to check your mail every hour or to check manually on request and you'll be ok with the 500 THB package

It won't connect to the internet by itself.

It will go online to check the new mail every time you open the email application .

If you are a post paid customer try the THB 500 package and check you balance with customer service in a few days to make sure.

The Iphone will always stay online if you use Exchange email in push mode (use the unlimited package @ THB 1000 in this case)

Also,

if you have a wi fi at home of office - set it up on your iphone so it won't use gprs while you are at home or at work, it will try to connect through known wifi network first.

Edited by anthos

I think this is a difficult one. 500 hours equates to over 15 hours a day. Why could an iphone need more than that?

500 hours is definitely enough if you are prepared to toggle on and off edge. But, come on that so boring.

According to my secretary using DTAC I am better off with the unlimited package though it assumes massive EDGE usuage. BTW. Also AIS offers EDGE not GPRS is most places.

I dont know anyone techy enough but an iphone seems to be connected to data virtually 100% of the time,

I think this is a difficult one. 500 hours equates to over 15 hours a day. Why could an iphone need more than that?

500 hours is definitely enough if you are prepared to toggle on and off edge. But, come on that so boring.

According to my secretary using DTAC I am better off with the unlimited package though it assumes massive EDGE usuage. BTW. Also AIS offers EDGE not GPRS is most places.

I dont know anyone techy enough but an iphone seems to be connected to data virtually 100% of the time,

Just get the blackberry package put on your sim card. 650baht unlimited data.

Its the best solution but AIS don't tell u this.

No, you don't.

I have had an iPhone for 2 years, using the 20 hours 100 baht/month package, and have never exceeded this even though I am doing moderate web surfing, twitter, and email on the phone. I basically don't watch my usage at all.

Just be sure to turn off automatic checking of email - it's in the email preferences. Then the phone will only check when you open the email program (runs in the background so you can just open mail, then close it again, and wait for the sound).

Should I ever exceed my 20 package, I'd get the 100 and would be on the safe side for sure. Unlimited is not needed at all. 500 hours? That's crazy, no need for it. Maybe if you really, really want the phone to check email every minute 24/7, otherwise no.

Other than checking email (or setting up push email - don't know about that) the phone does *not* automatically and without your knowledge connect to the internet. There is no need to turn off EDGE, ever. You know the phone is actively connected when the progress circle on the toolbar is running. When it's not running, it's not connected. so this is very easy to verify.

Edited by nikster

No, you don't.

I have had an iPhone for 2 years, using the 20 hours 100 baht/month package, and have never exceeded this even though I am doing moderate web surfing, twitter, and email on the phone. I basically don't watch my usage at all.

Just be sure to turn off automatic checking of email - it's in the email preferences. Then the phone will only check when you open the email program (runs in the background so you can just open mail, then close it again, and wait for the sound).

Should I ever exceed my 20 package, I'd get the 100 and would be on the safe side for sure. Unlimited is not needed at all. 500 hours? That's crazy, no need for it. Maybe if you really, really want the phone to check email every minute 24/7, otherwise no.

Other than checking email (or setting up push email - don't know about that) the phone does *not* automatically and without your knowledge connect to the internet. There is no need to turn off EDGE, ever. You know the phone is actively connected when the progress circle on the toolbar is running. When it's not running, it's not connected. so this is very easy to verify.

Same here, checking mail manually and doing moderate web surfing: I have never exceeded the 20 hours on my AIS package. However, be aware that your phone is busy when there is data traffic on GPRS/EGDE.

With 3G technology, you can have data transfer and receive your phone calls at the same time. This is another reason why 3G technology is urgently needed in Thailand, Phnom Penh and Vientiane seem to be a lot more developed Than Bangkok this time.

Same here, checking mail manually and doing moderate web surfing: I have never exceeded the 20 hours on my AIS package. However, be aware that your phone is busy when there is data traffic on GPRS/EGDE.

With 3G technology, you can have data transfer and receive your phone calls at the same time. This is another reason why 3G technology is urgently needed in Thailand, Phnom Penh and Vientiane seem to be a lot more developed Than Bangkok this time.

EDGE _should_, in theory, support this - your data connection should get interrupted, and calls should come in. In practice I have found that it doesn't work though, same as you. It was the same on my Nokia 6600 so I think this has to do with the network rather than the phone.

just checked my phone, i am a regular user of gprs for news, mail (no push) etc.

In 3 weeks I have 2501 minutes, which is 40 hours.

I took the unlimited package, but i think I will change to something smaller again, no need that much.

I think I'm paying 900 baht/month for unlimited EDGE on AIS. I just leave mail on all the time, use whatever GPS - map enabled things I want, use Safari for quick lookups quite frequently, and even listen to streaming music. Also, I use Shazam to settle pub debates regarding "what's that song?", Flight Status on the way to the airport, the list just keeps getting longer, and they all need GPRS/EDGE if you are away from WiFi. I can't be bothered to worry about how much time I am racking up, but I know it's a lot.

My advice: if you can afford it, or if the company is paying for it, just pay the 1000 baht and go for unlimited. Once you start using your iPhone apps with EDGE, you will no doubt find out how useful they are, or how good they are as time wasters while killing time waiting for the dentist or a meeting or whatever.

EDGE _should_, in theory, support this - your data connection should get interrupted, and calls should come in. In practice I have found that it doesn't work though, same as you. It was the same on my Nokia 6600 so I think this has to do with the network rather than the phone.

I have learned on another list that your phone is busy under EDGE if it is receiving data at the time. For example, downloading a mail or a website. If you are reading a mail or a website and no data is actually being transferred, phone calls come through.

This coincides with my experience, but that's anecdotal.

I think I'm paying 900 baht/month for unlimited EDGE on AIS. I just leave mail on all the time, use whatever GPS - map enabled things I want, use Safari for quick lookups quite frequently, and even listen to streaming music. Also, I use Shazam to settle pub debates regarding "what's that song?", Flight Status on the way to the airport, the list just keeps getting longer, and they all need GPRS/EDGE if you are away from WiFi. I can't be bothered to worry about how much time I am racking up, but I know it's a lot.

My advice: if you can afford it, or if the company is paying for it, just pay the 1000 baht and go for unlimited. Once you start using your iPhone apps with EDGE, you will no doubt find out how useful they are, or how good they are as time wasters while killing time waiting for the dentist or a meeting or whatever.

Last month was the first month I exceeded my 20 hours. I'll watch it and upgrade if necessary.

However, my problem is with GPRS roaming. I travel a lot, mostly within ASEAN countries, and this is expensive. AIS has a program when I go to Malaysia, 5MB for 400 Baht or so (5MB is not enough by far), but no program at all with Cambodia. GPRS roaming charges can quickly exceed the ticket price.

• 3 weeks later...
I've ordered an iphone 3gs and was planning on adding some GPRS hours to my current AIS post paid package. AIS offered me 500 hours for 250Baht which seemed OK to me as I don't plan to be online much with my iphone. Maybe just check emails or surf the net now and again (ie not on a daily basis).

But a lot of people have told me that the iphone goes online automatically and is pretty much connected all the time. So. I am not sure now if 500 hours per month would be enough or not. If not, then I would have to purchase an unlimited gprs package. At the same time I don't see the point in paying for unlimited if it is not necesary.

Do any iphone users out there have an idea of their approx gprs usage pe rmonth? I know it is different for everyone, but just a rough guide would help.

Thanks!

Do you mean 250 hours 500 baht per month?

Packages Monthly Fee (excluding VAT) mobileNET (EDGE/GPRS) 3 hours 30 BahtmobileNET (EDGE/GPRS) 6 hours 50 Baht mobileNET (EDGE/GPRS) 20 hours 100 Baht mobileNET (EDGE/GPRS) 50 hours 200 Baht mobileNET (EDGE/GPRS) 100 hours 350 Baht mobileNET (EDGE/GPRS) 250 hours 500 Baht mobileNET (EDGE/GPRS) Unlimited 999 Baht Blackberry service for BIS(free email) 650 Baht

Edited by SongtaiJ

Just get the blackberry package put on your sim card. 650baht unlimited data.

Its the best solution but AIS don't tell u this.

I have heard that RIM server can monitor and found that you are using the service over BB or not and their can drop your package if using service that not included in the condition?