Why ?

Simbo

:o Why, when one goes to a Thai restaurant, possibly with a new g/f, do they invariably serve the meals 15 minutes apart? it's so stupid to leave one or the other sitting watching the other eat. This would never happen in a european retaurant. I just don't understand the mentality of it. Is it just me or does anyone else experience this? :D

:o  Why, when one goes to a Thai restaurant, possibly with a new g/f, do they invariably serve the meals 15 minutes apart? it's so stupid to leave one or the other sitting watching the other eat. This would never happen in a european retaurant. I just don't understand the mentality of it. Is it just me or does anyone else experience this?  :D

Its just you. :D:D:D

:o  Why, when one goes to a Thai restaurant, possibly with a new g/f, do they invariably serve the meals 15 minutes apart? it's so stupid to leave one or the other sitting watching the other eat. This would never happen in a european retaurant. I just don't understand the mentality of it. Is it just me or does anyone else experience this?  :D

Happens all the time.Mai Pen Rai Scrimbo.U can always back your bags.

Why you cant wait for each other's meals served?

Doesn't matter who I am with - wife, work colleagues, friends - we always eat 'family style'. We all get an empty plate & share what comes along. This is much more civilised & no-one gets their food first.

If you dine at an upscale restaurant & are not sharing, they will bring all food at the same time.

If you are eating for 100B a dish at a Thai restaurant, don't be suprised or upset if they do things their way.

Stu, didn't know you were one of the, ' If you done't like it P--- off ' brigade :D

Stu, didn't know you were one of the, ' If you done't like it P--- off ' brigade :D

U do now.

Depends what disguise he's using

Just wait till the starters come an hour after you've finished the main course :D

Why you cant wait for each other's meals served?

Doesn't matter who I am with - wife, work colleagues, friends - we always eat 'family style'. We all get an empty plate & share what comes along. This is much more civilised & no-one gets their food first.

If you dine at an upscale restaurant & are not sharing, they will bring all food at the same time.

If you are eating for 100B a dish at a Thai restaurant, don't be suprised or upset if they do things their way.

I agree, most restaurants expect people to share so bring different dishes in time for them to be eaten.

Most smaller kitchens generally only have one gas stove sop bring the food out as its cooked.

Why, when one goes to a Thai restaurant, possibly with a new g/f, do they invariably serve the meals 15 minutes apart?

I hate this too. You have a point. They serve all the different dishes at different times. But what do you expect?

:D  Why, when one goes to a Thai restaurant, possibly with a new g/f, do they invariably serve the meals 15 minutes apart? it's so stupid to leave one or the other sitting watching the other eat. This would never happen in a european retaurant. I just don't understand the mentality of it. Is it just me or does anyone else experience this?  :D

Just wait till the starters come an hour after you've finished the main course :D

Always get you beer in first then order the main course and after that the starter :D

Seems fairly straight forward :D:o

It's not a case of how many stoves, any chef will tell you it is all in the preparation, and organisation. I was a chef in a kitchen so small we could not even store food in it - just what we were going to serve that night. 200 covers in 3 and a half hours, and almost everyone got their meals together/table. Expensive too.

'Fraid I'm with the why-oh-why brigade on this one.

Another why-oh-why is the way shops continually wait till they run out of something before buying more, and then its days/weeks later.

I get plain yoghurts from the shop near me, but only 50% of the time do they have them. They always have chuffing strawberry, but only sometimes the 'Tammachart' ones. The reason?? The tammachart ones sell better! so they told me. Did I suggest that perchance, if they sell better they might buy more of them and less strawberry?

Nah.... No wonder Thailand's favourite phrase is mai pben rai.

As a freshman, ended up in the Cabbage&Condoms restaurant.

Somewhere in the menu they said "Our food is served in a traditional Thai style. All the food comes at once".

In a daily life, I'm not seeing that.

I know because taking pictures of intact meals is my passion. Always have to wait and ask "has everything been brought to the table?".

Serving separate dishes for different diners at the same table is just not done traditionally in Thailand. Everybody at the table dives into whats on the table.

As others already pointed out if you are at a really upscale place who really understand farang eating habits they will serve the food farang style.

It's not a matter of leaving if you don't like it, its a matter of paying to get this level of service.

Serving separate dishes for different diners at the same table is just not done traditionally in Thailand. Everybody at the table dives into whats on the table. 

As others already pointed out if you are at a really upscale place who really understand farang eating habits they will serve the food farang style.

It's not a matter of leaving if you don't like it, its a matter of paying to get this level of service.

The most upscale eating place I have ever been to is - my home.

My wife would say - come here, it's all on the table.

If the table (or the floor) is not filled up she would say .."wait, for the pic, there is more coming, in a minute".

My "perversion" is well understood. I believe she takes pride when all the food is served and neatly laid. Then photographed and enjoyed.

Watch her "puke" when I show her my airline meals pics.

I feel it's more a matter of exhibiting a little understanding by the OP that he is not in "europe" anymore and would hopefully not get to too haughty and expect different cultures to conform to his background. It's simply the way it's done here. It stresses togetherness and familiarity to share dishes...and in my opinion, by extension, friendliness. I, for one, prefer it. "where's MY food (or meal)" has a rather selfish ring to it.

In all but the most up-market Thai places this is unavoidable unless you want to try the following which works fairly well because usually what ever you order comes pity quickly.

The trick is that you order what you would like to come first - some times this is a starter - right?

Then, when they deliver that you order what you want to follow.

Continue in this fashion until finished and you get some that resembles a well balanced offering.

You can't beat the system but you can manipulate it somewhat - no what I mean!

Peewee :o

:D  Why, when one goes to a Thai restaurant, possibly with a new g/f, do they invariably serve the meals 15 minutes apart? it's so stupid to leave one or the other sitting watching the other eat. This would never happen in a european retaurant. I just don't understand the mentality of it. Is it just me or does anyone else experience this?  :D

Why dont you try to order thai food?

Then you can eat together.... :o

I feel it's more a matter of exhibiting a little understanding by the OP that he is not in "europe" anymore and would hopefully not get to too haughty and expect different cultures to conform to his background. It's simply the way it's done here. It stresses togetherness and familiarity to share dishes...and in my opinion, by extension, friendliness. I, for one, prefer it. "where's MY food (or meal)" has a rather selfish ring to it.

"togetherness'' Ha ! where is that when your meals arrive 15 minutes apart?

I'm talking about restaurants that cater especially for farangs. When I go to a street vendor, I expect and accept what they throw at me. I have been here a while now. This was just an observation I wanted airing as we do on this forum. :o

"togetherness'' Ha ! where is that when your meals arrive 15 minutes apart?

I'm talking about restaurants that cater especially for farangs. When I go to a street vendor, I expect and accept what they throw at me. I have been here a while now. This was just an observation I wanted airing as we do on this forum. :D

The helpful thing to do in this forum is to make things clearer from the outset. Perhaps if you had included your last comments in the OP, less chance for misunderstanding.

As for togetherness.... with Thai dishes and everyone spooning out of the same bowl... that seems pretty "together" to me.

If you are referring strictly to "farang-oriented restaurants"... then it's as others have said, you really need to go to the more costly places to receive traditionally Western-style service.

The less-expensive restaurants equals less experience with western-style service. Certainly not unexpected. Menu spellings can often give an indication of how experienced a particular restaurant is.

It's not a case of how many stoves, any chef will tell you it is all in the preparation, and organisation. I was a chef in a kitchen so small we could not even store food in it - just what we were going to serve that night. 200 covers in 3 and a half hours, and almost everyone got their meals together/table. Expensive too.

'Fraid I'm with the why-oh-why brigade on this one.

Another why-oh-why is the way shops continually wait till they run out of something before buying more, and then its days/weeks later.

I get plain yoghurts from the shop near me, but only 50% of the time do they have them. They always have chuffing strawberry, but only sometimes the 'Tammachart' ones. The reason?? The tammachart ones sell better! so they told me. Did I suggest that perchance, if they sell better they might buy more of them and less strawberry?

Nah.... No wonder Thailand's favourite phrase is mai pben rai.

Yeah I agree with Pandit and the OP here, it's a question of logic and common sense. When me and my hubby go to eat together, I exageratly stress that 'we... want....the...meals...together...to...eat..at....the...same...time'

Works about 8/10 times!

Why dont you try to order thai food?

Then you can eat together.... :o

Never made any difference what kind of food you order in my experience! If my T.hubby's ordered something 'phet' and I order something else, one of us still ends up watching the other eat for 20 mins!

Why do they bring the main dish out first and then you wait 10 minutes for the boiled rice to arrive?

Why are there so many differnet variations on the same dish from the same province?

Why dont they listen when, you tell them to cut the tale and head off of the prawn?

Why is pla kapong kow a different fish in different restaurants?

Who taught them that a American breakfast = 1 piece of toast, 1 piece of ham, 1 egg, 1 coffe and 1 small OJ?

Answer these for me PLEASE! :o:D