Gardens & Snakes

Yesterday in my garden in Phuket I spied a snake. It looked about almost 1 metre long and maybe the thickness of an adult thumb, it was a really bright vivid green colour. I live in a residential area but behind my house is a marshy / overgrown area of land.

The snake moved very quick through the grass and into some shrubs and I couldn't find it after that, seems it just vanished (underground perhaps?).

Any idea's what it was and whether it is dangerous or not. Also any advice as to how to keep snakes out of my garden (or is this just wishful thinking ?!?) How to catch it and what to do with it?

TIA, Martin.

Line the edge of your garden with crushed up beer bottles (the emptying of said beer bottles is the best part). Snakes have a strange idea that they should not crawl over them. However, if the snake is using a tree to drop into the garden it could be trapped because it's not going to want to slither back out of the garden over said beer bottles.

I don't know if the snake is poisonous or not, but I usually live and let live. Most snakes eat vermin so as long as they don't harrass me or mine, I let them go about their business.

**edit**

Grammar.

Edited by dave_boo

The green snake can be one of several types some are killers some not. One of these varmints, we called a 2 step snake. Since I am a snake fraddy cat I run when I see them, let them have the garden, field or wherever they want to roam, and do not disturb them, other than throwing objects at them from 10 meter+ away. I also keep a small soi dog who hates snakes as much as I do but she is aggressive with capital A, if they do not vacate the premises I turn her loose. She is part mongoose I think as in 5 years she has a 100% success ratio.

Lol, so it looks like a soi dog is the way to go. I dont fancy broken glass in the garden cos i enjoy mooching around with no shoes on and knowing my luck i'd end up carving myself up.

I guess there is not much you can do to prevent snakes from coming in the garden. Just hope they dont come into the house through any open doors. :)

The green snake can be one of several types some are killers some not. One of these varmints, we called a 2 step snake. Since I am a snake fraddy cat I run when I see them, let them have the garden, field or wherever they want to roam, and do not disturb them, other than throwing objects at them from 10 meter+ away. I also keep a small soi dog who hates snakes as much as I do but she is aggressive with capital A, if they do not vacate the premises I turn her loose. She is part mongoose I think as in 5 years she has a 100% success ratio.

I'd love to get one of those half mongoose soi dogs like you have. I've had to deal with 2 cobras in my back yard in the suburbs of CM in the past 3 years, I'd much rather have a fearless dog taking care of the problem for me.

Lol, so it looks like a soi dog is the way to go. I dont fancy broken glass in the garden cos i enjoy mooching around with no shoes on and knowing my luck i'd end up carving myself up.

I guess there is not much you can do to prevent snakes from coming in the garden. Just hope they dont come into the house through any open doors. :D

H'mmm Not sure about the no shoes bit, Lot's of nasties would like to nip your toes, Scorpions , centipedes etc not to mention leeches!! I'd rather have the snakes any day! :)

TBWG :D

I guess there is not much you can do to prevent snakes from coming in the garden. Just hope they dont come into the house through any open doors. :D

H'mmm Not sure about the no shoes bit, Lot's of nasties would like to nip your toes, Scorpions , centipedes etc not to mention leeches!! I'd rather have the snakes any day! :)

TBWG :D

You forgot:

ticks

fire ants

hook worms?

keep the grass short and cats are good with most snakes too.

Regards.

Yesterday in my garden in Phuket I spied a snake. It looked about almost 1 metre long and maybe the thickness of an adult thumb, it was a really bright vivid green colour. I live in a residential area but behind my house is a marshy / overgrown area of land.

The snake moved very quick through the grass and into some shrubs and I couldn't find it after that, seems it just vanished (underground perhaps?).

Any idea's what it was and whether it is dangerous or not. Also any advice as to how to keep snakes out of my garden (or is this just wishful thinking ?!?) How to catch it and what to do with it?

TIA, Martin.

There is another thread running on this one in general topics. I have found the mothball idea works well. Just throw lots of them about the edges and the snakes stay away. The smell lasts for about two days. As for the snake, if it had an arrow shaped head with black markings it could be a species of viper - which is venomous, not lethal and not aggressive.

• 5 weeks later...

As far as I know the only really dangerous green snakes in Thailand are (bamboo) pit vipers, easily identified by a pronounced rectangular head. I have (or had) quite a few green snakes under my roof, they're tree snakes and do nothing but eating other unwelcomed guests. That said, since I got 2 cats from a friend haven't seen any of them, my guess they do not like to be disturbed, the 2 cats do chase about anything that moves (and is smaller than them of course).