Piggy's Fish And Chip Shop

Krupnik

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Piggy's uses cod, The Rose Guest House uses cod.

How about the Red Lion? What kind of fish do they use?

What about the UN Irish pub?

Any other places use cod?

The Red Lion uses Blaa Nin (Tilapia) which I think is Perch, to you and I. It is skinned and filletted so no bones. It comes with home-made chunky British style chips and malt vinegar. It's quite popular, and has even been reviewed favourably on this very forum!!

I like chunky British style chips and malt vinegar!

And a fried Mars Bar for desert?

For some reason, I've never tried that. I most give it a go. Maybe a new one for the menu?

What's the secret of cooking them? Why doesn't the chocolate just melt into a gooey mess?

Quick edit - Just found all the answers on Wikipedia, of course.

Edited by KevinHunt

There are tables out the front too which is cooler etc.

Of course the chips will be warm when you get them home. Unless you live an hour away or something! They give them to you in one of those heat trapping polystyrene container things.

I tried them last night and sat towards the front with a large, ice cold Heineken and was comfortable enough, but it is a hot room.. The cod and chips tasted fine. However, I was still very hungy when I finished which is not common for me, big as I am.

I went and had a few sarapao (pork buns) afterwards and felt better, but there should be a lot more chips even if the price has to be higher and my guess is that it is high enough now.

The Red Lion is next on my fish and chips list as they are reputed to have real, British chips which are becoming hard to find in Chiang Mai. Piggy's are not bad, but thinner than what I am used to.

The Red Lion uses Blaa Nin (Tilapia) which I think is Perch, to you and I. It is skinned and filletted so no bones. It comes with home-made chunky British style chips and malt vinegar. It's quite popular, and has even been reviewed favourably on this very forum!!

Got to hand it to you...they are good fish and chips....plus what I like is that you get the whole bottle of tartre sauce, no some stipid little dish

Got to hand it to you...they are good fish and chips....plus what I like is that you get the whole bottle of tartre sauce, no some stipid little dish

the stupid little dish is home made tartre sauce from real pickles and if you finish it or want more you can just ask. all in the meal with real beer batter and chips from real potatos and a good sized fish with all real vinegar and heinz sauces is at a great price of 120 baht. plus piggys smile is priceless! :)

We gave them a go last night.

Ordered the cod and chips only

to be told they were out of cod.

Not a great start so opted for the

plain F&C which was pretty good

value for 120 Baht.

The room was way too hot so we

sat out the front which was a lot

better.

For some reason, they didn't have

any glasses. Now call me crazy

but I like my wee wee in a glass,

not mug.

Being an Aussie, I've been spoilt

at home with the range and quality

of fish.

All in all, an ok experience. I've got

nothing to compare them to in CM

as it's the first place I've tried F&C.

Anyway, I wish them well.

Regards

Will

I went by last night and give it a thumbs up. Overall it's a big plate of food, if you're a big eater you won't be disappointed. The chips are nicely cooked--definitely not typical "french fries", the fish was huge, the batter nice and crispy. They were out of cod so I had the jon dory and it was fine. They had just run out of tarter sauce for my order but made more fresh in a few minutes, so no biggie.

Regarding the size of the restaurant, it seems the same as most other places around the moat, not a big place but comfortable enough.

Service was great, the two thai ladies were super friendly and attentive.

I'll be back soon to try the cod. Hope these guys do well.

I have tried several restaurants in Chiang Mai over the years that serve fish and chips, but for me it has to be Cheerful Charlie`s.

Poor ole Charlie hasn`t been in the best of health lately and had to close for a while.

He will be opening again next Monday (17th).

I will be there in the evening and looking forward to a fish and chip meal, plenty of booze to wash it down with and a good ole laugh again.

We gave them a go last night.

Ordered the cod and chips only

to be told they were out of cod.

Not a great start so opted for the

plain F&C which was pretty good

value for 120 Baht.

The room was way too hot so we

sat out the front which was a lot

better.

For some reason, they didn't have

any glasses. Now call me crazy

but I like my wee wee in a glass,

not mug.

Being an Aussie, I've been spoilt

at home with the range and quality

of fish.

All in all, an ok experience. I've got

nothing to compare them to in CM

as it's the first place I've tried F&C.

Anyway, I wish them well.

Regards

Will

Try the fish and chips at the UN Irish Pub. Best that I've had of its type in Chiang Mai. The other is at the Dukes. The difference is in the batter. The Dukes uses a batter that really is different - a little bit spicy and delicious. But for more traditional fish and chips, the Irish Pub is the best. The Dukes and the Irish Pub are tied in my book.

Edited by venturalaw

Does anyone know if Pinky's Wings and Burgers is actually open?

I went by a few times on Sunday and it did not open at all. Maybe it is closed on Sundays?

It was doing business yesterday

I tried to go to Piggy's today for lunch. It was closed. Someone on this thread mentioned that they were there drinking for 8 hours. Not exactly what I want to do, but if they're not open on a Saturday afternoon at 1:30, they're missing out on business. Are they ever open for lunch?

btw, Pinky's was open and had customers.

im gonna have to try them soon as well, :)

if yr down under in NZ, heres a beauty F&C shop in Northland~Mangonui Fish Shop

I believe the customer toilets drop the deposited matter into the water which in turn attracts the fish which are then trapped by the staff, pulled into the kitchen and delivered to the customers anxiously awaiting their freshly caught lunch.

This is a method often employed in Thailand.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I tried to go to Piggy's today for lunch. It was closed. Someone on this thread mentioned that they were there drinking for 8 hours. Not exactly what I want to do, but if they're not open on a Saturday afternoon at 1:30, they're missing out on business. Are they ever open for lunch?

btw, Pinky's was open and had customers.

They are deciding whether to open in the day or open later around 4-5 till 3am when its likely to be busier dont think there initial hours opening at 10am was working like I said previously new business working out the kinks and tweaking things

had there cheese burger the other day very tasty bun was small but home made burgers very juicy and tasty I requested the vintage cheese for 10B extra which was delicious

Try the fish and chips at the UN Irish Pub. Best that I've had of its type in Chiang Mai. The other is at the Dukes. The difference is in the batter. The Dukes uses a batter that really is different - a little bit spicy and delicious. But for more traditional fish and chips, the Irish Pub is the best. The Dukes and the Irish Pub are tied in my book.

Thanks for the tip mate.

Will give them a try.

Regards

Will

im gonna have to try them soon as well, :)

if yr down under in NZ, heres a beauty F&C shop in Northland~Mangonui Fish Shop

I believe the customer toilets drop the deposited matter into the water which in turn attracts the fish which are then trapped by the staff, pulled into the kitchen and delivered to the customers anxiously awaiting their freshly caught lunch.

This is a method often employed in Thailand.

nice summation BB, not unlike the exported sheep we offload to our ozzie cousins after we finish with them on a nite out :D

Actually, in New Zealand the locals find fun in the paddocks at night but that's another story.

We gotta get this back up the top. Piggy (what a name for a girl let alone a F & C shop) is a real honey.

That's what I thought looking at her anyway "I know looks can be deceiving at times"

But the tattoed man if he doesn't take on a little bit of advice is gonna be looking at a failed business.

The food is good (the F & C were to my liking anyway) but if the menu offers cod ya gotta have cod. No BS about we are out.

Maybe he has some glasses to drink out of now but drinking out of coffee cups is not on (apart from this Buddha day nonsense when I am happy to drink out of anything)

Much has been said, but is he listening, or is someone passing on the message ??

He has a good product, but the heat in the back of the shop is way up.

I would not like to see this business fail.

I will go back "if only to see what he charges for water"

Seriously I enjoyed my meal but he has gotta make it work.

Piggy's beauty alone is not gonna keep the customers flocking in.

I applaud the guy's attempt to have a go, every business has teething problems but listen up man "maybe every thing is now hunky dory"

Now John Dory would be nice wouldn't it.

Where are you UG, what's your thoughts :)

i tried there last week and the fish wasnt cod but it was nicely done but the chips ( i like mine soft ) were way underdone.

the thiner small ones were ok but every one over about an eighth of an inck thick wasnt cooked at all

i had a friend who ran a chip shop once who said if you cant squash a chip with a fork its not cooked enough.

most of the chips i had i couldnt squash with the knife they were that hard

ill try there again coz the fish was nice and if i get lousy chips again he has other things on the menu that i d like to try

his cheese on toast for one

dave2

ps ... i also asked if they did mashed potato .. no have .... which seems a bit daft not to have the option to me coz i like mashed

Well I just hope that he's getting the message because Chiang Mai needs a good fish and chip shop.

Suda might have called her shop "fish and chips" but her chips were shyt and like the Dutchman "wooden shoes and wouldn't listen"

And her tartare sauce was like cats p1ss. Wouldn't even list to 'Kiwi'

And that's one thing about that guy who charges mega baht for the water at least he don't <deleted> around (or didn't at Haus Munchen) he had Heinz tartare and none of this home made shyt.

Tennis anyone :)

Well I just hope that he's getting the message because Chiang Mai needs a good fish and chip shop.

Suda might have called her shop "fish and chips" but her chips were shyt and like the Dutchman "wooden shoes and wouldn't listen"

And her tartare sauce was like cats p1ss. Wouldn't even list to 'Kiwi'

And that's one thing about that guy who charges mega baht for the water at least he don't <deleted> around (or didn't at Haus Munchen) he had Heinz tartare and none of this home made shyt.

Tennis anyone :)

Singles at 4.30 Monday, Gymkhana (weather permitting). If you've got a racquet your okay, cos I've got balls. It rained last Friday but although we tried to play on it just wasn't possible. At least we confirmed what we always suspected - you can't play with soggy balls. Fact.

As regards to Fish n Chips those in the know, know where the best are. The only problem is - they have a strict no Riff Raff policy, which excludes almost everyone here.

i tried there last week and the fish wasnt cod but it was nicely done but the chips ( i like mine soft ) were way underdone.

the thiner small ones were ok but every one over about an eighth of an inck thick wasnt cooked at all

i had a friend who ran a chip shop once who said if you cant squash a chip with a fork its not cooked enough.

most of the chips i had i couldnt squash with the knife they were that hard

ill try there again coz the fish was nice and if i get lousy chips again he has other things on the menu that i d like to try

his cheese on toast for one

dave2

ps ... i also asked if they did mashed potato .. no have .... which seems a bit daft not to have the option to me coz i like mashed

Canned or instant mash!! Or uses that stuff? :)