Piggy's Fish And Chip Shop

Krupnik

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In BC Canada we pay about $10 for two large pieces of deep fried fish and chips, or about $12 for the same amount of halibut. That is in the 300 to 400 baht range for comparison. All the fish is fresh out of the sea.

Pictures please! Im learning so much about Canada on this Thai forum thanks to you! You are a gift.

Sounds like a good thing. Gotta have a go so as to compare to the world's best Fish and Chip producers........Australia.

I only hope Ajarn doesn't order take away then photograph the leftovers 3 hours later and start complaining.

Agreed, but usually cooked by Greeks!!

Edit: How about a little map so us out of towners can find it without a half day search?

Edited by sceadugenga

The last four posts are completly off topic.

Kevin quotes prices though admits they are estimates. So of no value at all. Is he trying to keep threads open for as long as possible as he did in the water thread and the recent thread closed by a moderator

Then we get posts on Canada etc

Kevin quotes prices though admits they are estimates. So of no value at all. Is he trying to keep threads open for as long as possible as he did in the water thread and the recent thread closed by a moderator

Why is asking for a map of the location of a business mentioned in the original post off topic?

and sounds like caf is a moderator wannabe :D

but to keep it on topic, i must get to Piggys to give them a try as many have given them the big thumbs up*

*hopefully thats enough so I wont be smacked

Now folk's, I have to admit that I don't really go to Piggy's F & C for the F & C's

I just like to feast my eyes on the lovely cook.

Even if the F & C's were not all that great (they are great by the way) this girl has gotta be the tastiest looking cook in town.

Is that "on topic or off topic" :)

And yes Donnyboy, caf seems to be lining himself up for some sort of "official position"

Whatever you do DB, don't use the word "m&%#$@%#r" in any of your posts. That is if you don't want your little bum smacked.

Edited by john b good

Greengirl revived the topic, not me, and I wrote in, in defence of Charlie's (I've never been their and I have never met the guy), because she say's Charlies  is 'far too expensive'. Most people here have a very warped idea of what is expensive, I was told that 30 baht is three veggie meals with rice, so it's obviously a lot of money!! As far as I can recall the prices I quoted are within 10 baht of prices quoted earlier in the thread. I didn't need to be accurate; my point was that Charlie's is probably no more than 20 baht more expensive than Piggy's so it is not true to most people that it is 'far too expensive'. Get it? We then got a post, that put the prices in perspective by comparing them to BC, which is where Ian Forbes is at the moment. How is that 'off topic'? We were talking about the price of Fish n Chips, weren't we?

Some people think that I keep posts alive for some ulterior motive. Shall I tell you a secret ...I post stories here about my day to day experiences and since my days are spent in my pub, or playing tennis - that's what I write about, surprise, surprise. I could relate stories about my time 20 odd years ago when I was a computer programmer, or prior to that when I was a Production Planner, but guess what? - they're not current and they were'nt so interesting.

So you must think, like the other moderators, that I'm promoting my business. I'll tell you another secret. The 'Free Water' thread was why I got banned before because of 'advertising' . Do you know how many customers I got out of the 100,000+ views that it generated (is that good for Thai Visa? Maybe not). About 2. And they popped in to congratulate me about my dry wit, over half a lager and left. I can't recall them coming back. The reality is that my place (no names, you notice) is a Night Bazaar tourist pub. You can't park, it's too expensive to most people here I imagine, it's full of bloody tourists, there's no Leo Girls or tarts, the owner is a Scouser. I wouldn't go there if I lived here so I don't expect most others that  live here to. Furthermore, too many expats, like you, take life far too seriously. They're mostly the ones that write into TV. I neither want nor need them, thanks. 

For your information, I'm here for a bit of banter and to relate some interesting (I hope) aspects of my days, which happen to be set in a pub. I'm also here to take the piss out of the sad souls that take it all too seriously .Bear in mind that if Basil Fawlty had been a poster here he'd have been similarly banned.

I just noticed that you're NOT a moderator!! That's sad. :)

Maybe your post was 'flaming' to keep this topic more active, and interesting (and off post).You don't have shares in the place do you?

PS - This thread is all about Piggy's and Charlie's - neither of whom advertise here!?

reason for edit -  Changed 'sad soles' to 'sad souls' - I must have been thinking about fish!!

Edited by KevinHunt

i went to piggy's yesterday the cook is so lovley and the food was exellent I have been to charlies and it was far too expensive also i went to a fish and chip shop at a rimping supermarket near the airport 69 baht for fish and chips but the portion was far too small.

piggy's is far the best! :D

but for pizza which is my other favourite food the dukes gets my vote. the one by the river. :)

Just out of curiosity, how much is 'far too expensive'. Different people have different ideas about what's expensive, so it would be nice if we could compare. Piggy's is about 140b isn't it? (more for cod, obviously). How much was Charlie's? In order for it to be 'far too expensive' compared to Piggy's that would make it 300b or more, in my books, but I don't think it is. More like 160b, at a guess, which I would class as 'a little bit more expensive'.

I remember charlies normal fish to be more expensive than piggy's cod. its about 60 baht more expensive, add another 9 baht and you can get a meal at the airport rimping fish and chip shop!

i have to be a little careful with my money as im not on an old age pension {yet!} hehe

:D:D:D

Greengirl revived the topic, not me, and I wrote in, in defence of Charlie's (I've never been their and I have never met the guy), because she say's Charlies  is 'far too expensive'. Most people here have a very warped idea of what is expensive, I was told that 30 baht is three veggie meals with rice, so it's obviously a lot of money!! As far as I can recall the prices I quoted are within 10 baht of prices quoted earlier in the thread. I didn't need to be accurate; my point was that Charlie's is probably no more than 20 baht more expensive than Piggy's so it is not true to most people that it is 'far too expensive'. Get it? We then got a post, that put the prices in perspective by comparing them to BC, which is where Ian Forbes is at the moment. How is that 'off topic'? We were talking about the price of Fish n Chips, weren't we?

Some people think that I keep posts alive for some ulterior motive. Shall I tell you a secret ...I post stories here about my day to day experiences and since my days are spent in my pub, or playing tennis - that's what I write about, surprise, surprise. I could relate stories about my time 20 odd years ago when I was a computer programmer, or prior to that when I was a Production Planner, but guess what? - they're not current and they were'nt so interesting.

So you must think, like the other moderators, that I'm promoting my business. I'll tell you another secret. The 'Free Water' thread was why I got banned before because of 'advertising' . Do you know how many customers I got out of the 100,000+ views that it generated (is that good for Thai Visa? Maybe not). About 2. And they popped in to congratulate me about my dry wit, over half a lager and left. I can't recall them coming back. The reality is that my place (no names, you notice) is a Night Bazaar tourist pub. You can't park, it's too expensive to most people here I imagine, it's full of bloody tourists, there's no Leo Girls or tarts, the owner is a Scouser. I wouldn't go there if I lived here so I don't expect most others that  live here to. Furthermore, too many expats, like you, take life far too seriously. They're mostly the ones that write into TV. I neither want nor need them, thanks. 

For your information, I'm here for a bit of banter and to relate some interesting (I hope) aspects of my days, which happen to be set in a pub. I'm also here to take the piss out of the sad soles that take it all too seriously .Bear in mind that if Basil Fawlty had been a poster here he'd have been similarly banned.

"Most people here have a very warped idea of what is expensive"

That has to be the most accurate comment of the year on TV.

Half the people commenting / posting on TV want caviar at McDonalds prices.

They must be 90% back packers or cheap charlies.

For Christ's sake what is 10 or 20 baht difference in the price of a plate of F & C's gonna make.

And then there are the people who talk about the ambience of "Cheap Charlies"

I don't know where these folk come from but it seems that most would consider ambience to be sitting eating F & C's under the flyover at the Nong Hoi intersection as being ambient.

I have read posts that are obviously been written by folk down on their luck or those that want champagne at cask wine prices.

They want a BMW or a Merc and yet can only afford a Lada. So they buy a Lada and then complain that it hasn't got power steering, electric seats, remote keyless door locking, six speed auto, ABS, ETC, cruise control, etc., etc.

Every day you you see on TV posts about something expensive yet only 10, 15 or 20 more than some other place.

I suppose these people (these posters) must lie awake all night worrying about how much extra it it to leave the television on standby or turn it off, how much the LED on a plug is gonna inflate their power bill. (they probably turn the refrigerator off at night to save power) :D

Life is for living not for worrying about a dime here and a dime there.

Kevin I don't give a shi... "no, sassenie said I shouldn't resort to bad language" I am not worried if your breakfast is more expensive or your F & C is more expensive (and you did serve good F & C at Haus Munchen) so what.

You cannot get "Foveaux Strait" oysters (best in the world) "even in NZ" for less than about 70 baht each but if you want the real McCoy ya gotta pay. Even 'donnyboy' will have to agree with that.

A dozen cooked "Foveaux Strait" oysters will set you back the equivilent of 850 baht. So what ya gonna do moan and groan or are ya gonna treat yourself once a week to something that you really enjoy.

I don't think that Cheap Charlie (the proprietor of the F & C shop of the same name) is the only cheap charlie posting on TV :)

I remember charlies normal fish to be more expensive than piggy's cod. its about 60 baht more expensive, add another 9 baht and you can get a meal at the airport rimping fish and chip shop!

i have to be a little careful with my money as im not on an old age pension {yet!} hehe

:):D:D

You're not careful, you're obsessive - you mentioned it again in the Poll.

UG was very specific.. 'Don't consider price. Which tastes best?'. 

When I was a kid (one of 8) we were quite poor but we were told never to talk about money - 'it's uncouth'. Here, it's practically compulsory!!

Times change!!

:D:D:D

You're not careful, you're obsessive - you mentioned it again in the Poll.

UG was very specific.. 'Don't consider price. Which tastes best?'. 

When I was a kid (one of 8) we were quite poor but we were told never to talk about money - 'it's uncouth'. Here, it's practically compulsory!!

Times change!!

What did I just say Kevie.

Some people are absolutle paranoid about one baht here, one baht there.

'greengirl' is obviously one of them.

As Bob Keating once said get a job so 'greengirl' take the hint. And then you might (I said might) be able to afford the caviar :)

Me, I hate the shyt. It's highly over rated but I think that that the Lada is a great car.

So you must think, like the other moderators, that I'm promoting my business. I'll tell you another secret. The 'Free Water' thread was why I got banned before because of 'advertising' . Do you know how many customers I got out of the 100,000+ views that it generated (is that good for Thai Visa? Maybe not). About 2. And they popped in to congratulate me about my dry wit, over half a lager and left. I can't recall them coming back. The reality is that my place (no names, you notice) is a Night Bazaar tourist pub. You can't park, it's too expensive to most people here I imagine, it's full of bloody tourists, there's no Leo Girls or tarts, the owner is a Scouser. I wouldn't go there if I lived here so I don't expect most others that live here to. Furthermore, too many expats, like you, take life far too seriously. They're mostly the ones that write into TV. I neither want nor need them, thanks.

For your information, I'm here for a bit of banter and to relate some interesting (I hope) aspects of my days, which happen to be set in a pub. I'm also here to take the piss out of the sad souls that take it all too seriously .Bear in mind that if Basil Fawlty had been a poster here he'd have been similarly banned.

I just noticed that you're NOT a moderator!! That's sad. :)

Maybe your post was 'flaming' to keep this topic more active, and interesting (and off post).You don't have shares in the place do you?

PS - This thread is all about Piggy's and Charlie's - neither of whom advertise here!?

reason for edit - Changed 'sad soles' to 'sad souls' - I must have been thinking about fish!!

I think I owe you an apology kevin for mentioning that you had ulterior motives on another thread which was totally tongue in cheek by the way, there seems to be a lot of humourless people posting on this forum moderators or otherwise :D

just to keep things on topic back here in Blighty I had a nice battered cod fillet with some oven chips last night, 4 for 2 quid from Iceland and a quid for the oven chips :D

You cannot get "Foveaux Strait" oysters (best in the world) "even in NZ" for less than about 70 baht each but if you want the real McCoy ya gotta pay. Even 'donnyboy' will have to agree with that.

too right mate~ oysters from Bluff :)

whitebait season now thou :D

I think I owe you an apology kevin for mentioning that you had ulterior motives on another thread which was totally tongue in cheek by the way, there seems to be a lot of humourless people posting on this forum moderators or otherwise :D

just to keep things on topic back here in Blighty I had a nice battered cod fillet with some oven chips last night, 4 for 2 quid from Iceland and a quid for the oven chips :D

You don't owe me an apology, but it did get me in trouble, unbelievably. Please keep your tongue out of your cheek, henceforth!! I'm skating on thin ice now.  :D

BTW - Ian Forbes was told he was 'off topic' for mentioning the price of Fish n Chips in BC (not by a Moderator, I might add) . I think I should warn you that your post about what you had to eat in Blighty is equally inappropriate - Fish n Chips or not. Please stick to the topic - the subject is Fish n Chips at Piggy's.

Didn't somebody mention their Curry? :)

I'm taking at least a week off. 

I tried Piggy's, I had the fish and chips, it was good. I sat inside, it wasn't that hot. They had fans going. The best part was that I was able to find it. Could someone draw me a map to Cheap Charlies? I was down that way looking again today and even followed some signs but still have not found the place. I even did a search and came up with a Chiang Mai news article but no map. I found another review with confusing directions that I thought I more or less followed today and still no luck.

I hope this is allowed, I did mention Piggy's, I mentioned the fish and chips. If asking for directions to another shop is forbidden then move or delete this post, or whatever the appropriate action is for such an infraction.

I tried Piggy's, I had the fish and chips, it was good. I sat inside, it wasn't that hot. They had fans going. The best part was that I was able to find it. Could someone draw me a map to Cheap Charlies? I was down that way looking again today and even followed some signs but still have not found the place. I even did a search and came up with a Chiang Mai news article but no map. I found another review with confusing directions that I thought I more or less followed today and still no luck.

I hope this is allowed, I did mention Piggy's, I mentioned the fish and chips. If asking for directions to another shop is forbidden then move or delete this post, or whatever the appropriate action is for such an infraction.

It not cheap charlie`s, the restaurant is called, Cheerful Charlie`s.

Here is an easy way to find Charlie`s in plain English:

Travel down the Tapae Road towards Tapae Gate.

About two thirds of the way down on the left, there is a big green sign that says, Tapae Place hotel. Turn left into that Soi by the sign.

Travel all the way down to the end of the Soi. At the end, turn left. About 5 metres on, turn right at the T junction. Charlie`s is about 3 metres on the left.

Edited by sassienie

It not cheap charlie`s, the restaurant is called, Cheerful Charlie`s.

Here is an easy way to find Charlie`s in plain English:

Travel down the Tapae Road towards Tapae Gate.

About two thirds of the way down on the left, there is a big green sign that says, Tapae Place hotel. Turn left into that Soi by the sign.

Travel all the way down to the end of the Soi. At the end, turn left. About 5 metres on, turn right at the T junction. Charlie`s is about 3 metres on the left.

My apologies to Charlie. I wandered around there today and wound up back on Loi Kroh rd without spotting it. I will give it another go