Piggy's Fish And Chip Shop

Krupnik

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All this excitement about English style fish and chips, ooh, and it makes me wonder. What have the Pomms ever achieved gastronomically except indigestion?

Want decent and delicious fish fillet, not hard, just whip your missus into action. Here is a simple recipe: But some Dory fillets at Rimping, batter in a light Japanese style batter, add bread crumbs and fry. End result a very light and tasty fillet. Or try some recipes for a nice light Aussie beer batter, Google Doyles in Sydney for their excellent recipe, better with Whiting fillet but OK with Dory as well.

Hope that sorts out some of you troglodytes and brings some enlightenment.

By the way, this is not a critique of Piggys in any way, I haven't eaten there yet.

All this excitement about English style fish and chips, ooh, and it makes me wonder. What have the Pomms ever achieved gastronomically except indigestion?

Want decent and delicious fish fillet, not hard, just whip your missus into action. Here is a simple recipe: But some Dory fillets at Rimping, batter in a light Japanese style batter, add bread crumbs and fry. End result a very light and tasty fillet. Or try some recipes for a nice light Aussie beer batter, Google Doyles in Sydney for their excellent recipe, better with Whiting fillet but OK with Dory as well.

By the way, this is not a critique of Piggys in any way, I haven't eaten there yet.

sorry, but a bit of an ignorent comment,if you did some research you will find that some mighty fine cuisine gets turned out of the hard working kitchens of england.looks like you've come on here to show your superiority,not very constructive to the thread. havn't eaten there yet ? so why try and deceive us with your stories of "light aussie beer batter" as if australia had invented fish and chips, in 1860 the first fish and chip shop was opened in london. Of course there are good chippies in australia,but do you you really need to turn this thing into england v australia, you'll be mentioning the ashes next, :) is this what all this is about ? ? i have always felt that the fish in rimping isn't of the freshest, they always have cloudy eyes which is a sure sign,sitting around dead for too long.plenty of good live local fish about, perfect for deep frying in your favourite batter :D

For what it's worth, I did return to Piggy's F & C a few days back.

The main man was not there however the personable Moo was and she did an excellent job of cooking the the cod and chips which I chose, and were exactly to my liking.

I may have had better but certainly not in Thailand

I spoke to her a bit and she said that she had never done this sort of cooking before the advent of Piggy's F & C shop so full credit to her on being a fast learner.

Even had a glass to drink my beer out of.

I will return again.

Edited by john b good

sorry, but a bit of an ignorent comment,if you did some research you will find that some mighty fine cuisine gets turned out of the hard working kitchens of england.looks like you've come on here to show your superiority,not very constructive to the thread. havn't eaten there yet ? so why try and deceive us with your stories of "light aussie beer batter" as if australia had invented fish and chips, in 1860 the first fish and chip shop was opened in london. Of course there are good chippies in australia,but do you you really need to turn this thing into england v australia, you'll be mentioning the ashes next, :D is this what all this is about ? ? i have always felt that the fish in rimping isn't of the freshest, they always have cloudy eyes which is a sure sign,sitting around dead for too long.plenty of good live local fish about, perfect for deep frying in your favourite batter :D

One thing the Welsh learnt from the English was how to do a good fish and chips. Piggys is not far off. High marks.

I'm not going to mention the ashes, but a previous poster mentioned sheep, so a response is in order..

Some Aussies visited our farm in Wales and asked how we counted sheep so accurately, we had to patiently expalin we count the legs then divide by four.

We visited two years later. Beautiful country, Australia. Love it. And yes, there they were counting sheep as we advised. Fast learners, the Aussies :)

I went Friday afternoon and had F&C to take away, they had just opened and informed us it would take 10 mins or so, we had a cold beer each while we waited and I had a chat to Ryan the owner while the meal was being cooked, Nice guy. I took the food home and it was great, nothing but praise for it. Will be using it on a pretty regular basis..... :):D

I went Friday afternoon and had F&C to take away, they had just opened .....

So are they now open during the day? Everyday? What time?

They were closed on two of the three afternoons when I went past. The one time I saw them open was just after I had lunch.

I went Friday afternoon and had F&C to take away, they had just opened .....

So are they now open during the day? Everyday? What time?

They were closed on two of the three afternoons when I went past. The one time I saw them open was just after I had lunch.

It was about 4pm, the owner said thats what time they open.

We gave it another crack.

Had the cod and chips washed down with

a few bevvies. The fish was nice and the the

chips were really good. Had F&C's at The Dukes

for the first time a while ago and while the fish was

nice, the chips were more like French fries.

Even managed to get some glasses :)

Nicely done.

Will

I went Friday afternoon and had F&C to take away, they had just opened and informed us it would take 10 mins or so, we had a cold beer each while we waited and I had a chat to Ryan the owner while the meal was being cooked, Nice guy. I took the food home and it was great, nothing but praise for it. Will be using it on a pretty regular basis..... :):D

now having retiredto Chiangmai. I have tried various places for fish and chips and it wasnt until I came across Cheerful charlies .That I tasted the best fish and chips in Chiangmai along with mushy peas and malt vinegar also bread and butter which I could make my own chip buttie.Thanks Charlie it was a pleasure to have found your place

From farly3 ( Retired Chef)

now having retiredto Chiangmai. I have tried various places for fish and chips and it wasnt until I came across Cheerful charlies .That I tasted the best fish and chips in Chiangmai along with mushy peas and malt vinegar also bread and butter which I could make my own chip buttie.Thanks Charlie it was a pleasure to have found your place

And isn't this thread about Piggy's? Funny that someone would join TV and his 1st post promotes a competitor???

I had to look that up. Chip butty, never heard of it. Sounds absolutely horrendous, especially uttered from the mouth of a chef.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_butty

I had to look that up. Chip butty, never heard of it. Sounds absolutely horrendous, especially uttered from the mouth of a chef.

If he is a retired chef perhaps he can comment on how batter is prepared at the various eateries he has tried here. Has he watched piggy prepare the fish?

Well, he's a retired chef. You may have found out why :D

/ Priceless

What have the aussies ever achieved period!

... besides churning out piss poor, dishwater lager that is :):D

One thing the Welsh learnt from the English was how to do a good fish and chips.

Shame you never learnt anything else... although technically you're also English; Wales being absorbed sometime in the 1200s. :D

We all know where the best F&C comes from and it certainly isn't in an ass backards desert or in the valleys boyo.

What have the aussies ever achieved period!

... besides churning out piss poor, dishwater lager that is :):D

One thing the Welsh learnt from the English was how to do a good fish and chips.

Shame you never learnt anything else... although technically you're also English; Wales being absorbed sometime in the 1200s. :D

We all know where the best F&C comes from and it certainly isn't in an ass backards desert or in the valleys boyo.

Hi Jackr

Henry VII was Welsh, born in Pembroke ( which is neither in the valleys nor is a desert by the way) and in 1485 fought the English king Richard III. With the Welsh, his French supporters, and some English support he beat, although heavily outnumbered, the English king at Bosworth Field ( it may have looked a bit like a desert rather than a field after Henry had finished though, I grant you that. :) )

I always thought that the 1536 Act Of Union was precisely that - a union not an absorption, with the Welsh king Henry VII at its head. Henry also of course made numerous marriage contracts subsequently with England and Spain to secure his families claim to the Throne. Through this and particularly through Margaret Tudor the present queen can prove she has Welsh blood flowing in her veins.

In my post I credited the English with teaching us how to fry Fish and Chips and no doubt Piggy, who is Thai, will do the same. Her beer batter is excellent.

But obviously your historical knowledge about absorption in the 1200s is better than mine so I bow to your superior intellect on that. Having googled deserts in Wales though it seems the Google computers are still searching. So perhaps Geography is not your strongest suit. :D:D

In my post I credited the English with teaching us how to fry Fish and Chips and no doubt Piggy, who is Thai, will do the same. Her beer batter is excellent.

But obviously your historical knowledge about absorption in the 1200s is better than mine so I bow to your superior intellect on that. Having googled deserts in Wales though it seems the Google computers are still searching. So perhaps Geography is not your strongest suit. :D:D

:D

Apologies, I was still seeing a bit of red from the aussie comment about our fish n chips and being a Welshman thought perhaps you were following suit. The deserts quip was in reference to the quote above yours (meaning Australia), while the bit for you was 'valleys boyo'. I will be sure to pen any further replies on the subject less overly-demanding :)

Could be right about the union thing, perhaps it was part of it that was absorbed back then.

By the by, some nice fish n chips in Hay on the border :D

:D

Apologies, I was still seeing a bit of red from the aussie comment about our fish n chips and being a Welshman thought perhaps you were following suit. The deserts quip was in reference to the quote above yours (meaning Australia), while the bit for you was 'valleys boyo'. I will be sure to pen any further replies on the subject less overly-demanding :)

Could be right about the union thing, perhaps it was part of it that was absorbed back then.

By the by, some nice fish n chips in Hay on the border :D

Touche

But Hay is on the wrong side of the Dyke :D

And isn't this thread about Piggy's? Funny that someone would join TV and his 1st post promotes a competitor???

I don’t see how farly3 is promoting a competitor.

His post simply says that he has tried various places for fish and chips and prefers a certain establishment to all the others.

And as for the assuming that this thread is exclusively about Piggy’s, it seems Piggy or whatever his name is, and his muckers are doing all the promoting and for some reason troubled by the mention of any opposition.

I suggest that if any café or restaurant proprietors wishes to have exclusive rights for the promoting and advertising of their businesses on ThaiVisa without the mention of other establishments on their threads, than it would be more of benefit for them to advertise in the excellent Thaivisa classified sections and business directory.

Please let me remind you that this is a forum.

FORUM:

A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website. Open opinion.

Edited by sassienie

His post simply says that he has tried various places for fish and chips and prefers a certain establishment to all the others.

And as for the assuming that this thread is exclusively about Piggy’s, it seems Piggy or whatever his name is, and his muckers are doing all the promoting and for some reason troubled by the mention of any opposition.

I suggest that if any café or restaurant proprietors wishes to have exclusive rights for the promoting and advertising of their businesses on ThaiVisa without the mention of other establishments on their threads, than it would be more of benefit for them to advertise in the excellent Thaivisa classified sections and business directory.

FORUM:

A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website. Open opinion.

keep on digging that big old hole sassieine hahahhahahahahahaha :)

FORUM:

keep on digging that big old hole sassieine hahahhahahahahahaha :)

This sounds like a threat from a psycho.

Care to elaborate on what you mean?

Also, skinnygoat, your defence of these lock ups seems to go way beyond the normal disagreements between preferences of where to eat in Chiang Mai.

Perhaps these places are owned by a syndicate of Farangs? Including yourself, who knows and who cares.

And it seems they become very angry towards people just for having the shear audacity of mentioning that they prefer eating somewhere else for whatever reasons.

Well, skinnygoat, you certainly scare me and I have no wish to become involved with any one like you, there are already too many crazy Farangs to avoid in Chiang Mai, and will stay well clear of anything to do with these establishments and their threads here on ThaiVisa.

Also, skinnygoat, your defence of these lock ups seems to go way beyond the normal disagreements between preferences of where to eat in Chiang Mai.

Perhaps these places are owned by a syndicate of Farangs? Including yourself, who knows and who cares.

And it seems they become very angry towards people just for having the shear audacity of mentioning that they prefer eating somewhere else for whatever reasons.

Well, skinnygoat, you certainly scare me and I have no wish to become involved with any one like you, there are already too many crazy Farangs to avoid in Chiang Mai, and will stay well clear of anything to do with these establishments and their threads here on ThaiVisa.

keep on digging hahahahahahahahahahaha your a little bit crazy to be getting sooooooo wound up don't you think???

everyone at piggy's are very friendly and happy your just putting a business down that you've never even been in!!!

see you at piggy's everyone for a cheap and friendly meal!!!!

:):D:D

I tried Piggy's Fish & Chips, because I just happened to be passing the place.

They were OK - nothing special and the price was reasonable.

Having eaten Fish & Chips at most places in Chiangmai, I can't think of anywhere that I would go out of my way for in order to eat them.

Good luck to Piggy for trying. :)

Took the rug-rats to eat at Piggy's last week, it's not up to Yorkshire-standards, but certainly tasty and good value-for-money, so we shall return ! The fish-and-chips + enormous pickled-onion for 130B was good !

Apologies, I was still seeing a bit of red from the aussie comment about our fish n chips and being a Welshman thought perhaps you were following suit. The deserts quip was in reference to the quote above yours (meaning Australia), while the bit for you was 'valleys boyo'.

This prompts the thought, is there anywhere in C.M. which does Welsh food, I always wanted to try 'cawl' ?

Took the rug-rats to eat at Piggy's last week, it's not up to Yorkshire-standards, but certainly tasty and good value-for-money, so we shall return ! The fish-and-chips + enormous pickled-onion for 130B was good !

This prompts the thought, is there anywhere in C.M. which does Welsh food, I always wanted to try 'cawl' ?

You should have been at Maejo Manor the other night and sampled my leek cawl :D Definitely not rug rat fodder :)

i went to piggy's yesterday the cook is so lovley and the food was exellent i have been to charlies and it was far too expensive also i went to a fish and chip shop at a rimping supermarket near the airport 69 baht for fish and chips but the portion was far too small.

piggy's is far the best! :D

but for pizza which is my other favourite food the dukes gets my vote. the one by the river. :)