Parsley Sage Rosemary And Thyme

brennanstimpy

And by familiar, I mean, knows a specific stall that sells western styles herbs like parsley sage rosemary and thyme, basil and oregano too. I went there yesterday and couldn't find anything of the sort, but the place is pretty huge and I am not that familiar with it. The only edible plants I saw were fruit trees. I specifically want an herb garden. Any help would be great even if these elusive plants are somewhere else.

I shop there frequently, and have bought rosemari, parsely and also sage, but can't say I have seen thyme. All the sections are numbered as as the shops. I will see if I can give you a shop and zone number after my next visit at the weekend.

Possibly the best thing to do is go with a Thai speaker which would be the quickest.

Kham teang market, they sure have rosemary I think that's about it I found. Extensive travel to The Royal project "ศูนย์พัฒนาโครงการหลวงหนองหอย" or Nong Hoi Royal project at MaeRim is highly recommended (way beyond the Botanical garden).

I think they are one of the herb suppliers of Chiang Mai. Very friendly people, almost subtroical climate (elevation over 1000 meters)

About one hour drive from mid town. Just find the green house nursery pick what you want, enjoy the air and the scenery it is difficult not wanting to live there.

It's a bit tricky to find the green house nursery so drive up into the farm until you see this sign on your right

(I once confused the name Nong Hoi Royal project and Nong Hoi area. The fact is although the Royal project call Nong Hoi, it is located in Mae Ram/ Mae Rim district)

post-50475-1249961630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maccheroncini

In Kamthieng market the stall that has the most herbs seems to be ( I will take a stab at directions, here goes!)

Coming from Lotus back entrance, take the second left after the big field area. Fork (main road) straight/left( there is a smaller road off to right up to orchids). Follow road up to end and take a right (can't go straight). First crossroads , it is on the left at the crossroads , far side. On the right side you should see biggish trees for sale.

They definitely have basil and most Thai herbs, sometimes have rosemary. Never looked for Thyme or sage though.

Sorry if directions not particularly clear!

I shop there frequently, and have bought rosemari, parsely and also sage, but can't say I have seen thyme. All the sections are numbered as as the shops. I will see if I can give you a shop and zone number after my next visit at the weekend.

Possibly the best thing to do is go with a Thai speaker which would be the quickest.

I am a Thai speaker so that works out. I didn't talk to anyone when I was looking the first time, I didn't even get off my motorcycle actually.

In Kamthieng market the stall that has the most herbs seems to be ( I will take a stab at directions, here goes!)

Coming from Lotus back entrance, take the second left after the big field area. Fork (main road) straight/left( there is a smaller road off to right up to orchids). Follow road up to end and take a right (can't go straight). First crossroads , it is on the left at the crossroads , far side. On the right side you should see biggish trees for sale.

They definitely have basil and most Thai herbs, sometimes have rosemary. Never looked for Thyme or sage though.

Sorry if directions not particularly clear!

I do think your directions make some sense. I will go check it out. Thank you

Rimping frequently have potted thyme and rosemary - the latter usually in a large, low clay bowl containing a small bush (about 200 baht). I think I also saw sage there once and certainly oregano.

A health warning - all three like dry, poor, sandy/gritty soil and don't like humidity. Particularly with the rosemary, you'll need to re-pot it from the mainly coconut husk medium that the growers use into something more suitable for long-term survival. My experience with growing/keeping the main western herbs here is that they are highly prone to keeling over and dying no matter how well you look after them (position, not too wet, not too much strong sun etc).

Various parsley seeds (e.g. moss curled and "French") are available from AFM* (packets usually available at Rimping). Parsley is notorious for being difficult/unpredictable to germinate ( http://www.answers.com/topic/parsley-seed-...es-to-the-devil ). I had a lot planted in a tray which did nothing; after several months, I was all set to toss them out - and then noticed one had sprouted. Transferred into the ground, it went on to grow to the size of a football and produced industrial quantities of leaves for weeks - until something started to rot the central root.

* http://www.afmgroup.com/afm/catalog/index.htm (they have more seeds - particularly herbs - than are shown in their online list)

Rimping frequently have potted thyme and rosemary - the latter usually in a large, low clay bowl containing a small bush (about 200 baht). I think I also saw sage there once and certainly oregano.

A health warning - all three like dry, poor, sandy/gritty soil and don't like humidity. Particularly with the rosemary, you'll need to re-pot it from the mainly coconut husk medium that the growers use into something more suitable for long-term survival. My experience with growing/keeping the main western herbs here is that they are highly prone to keeling over and dying no matter how well you look after them (position, not too wet, not too much strong sun etc).

Various parsley seeds (e.g. moss curled and "French") are available from AFM* (packets usually available at Rimping). Parsley is notorious for being difficult/unpredictable to germinate ( http://www.answers.com/topic/parsley-seed-...es-to-the-devil ). I had a lot planted in a tray which did nothing; after several months, I was all set to toss them out - and then noticed one had sprouted. Transferred into the ground, it went on to grow to the size of a football and produced industrial quantities of leaves for weeks - until something started to rot the central root.

* http://www.afmgroup.com/afm/catalog/index.htm (they have more seeds - particularly herbs - than are shown in their online list)

"all three like dry, poor, sandy/gritty soil and don't like humidity."

No wonder my rosemary is not growing well but sometime this type of rain just out of control

Rosemary seems to prefer a brighter place but not total sunshine. Mine wouldn't grow in a shaded location, I moved it to receive some afternoon sun and now its doubled in size.

In the UK my rosemary bush is in almost total shade and still grows, I guess there must be some acclimatization going on.

My Italian parsley mysteriously eaten buy something at night still can't figure out what's the culprit. Now at least I know where to ask about herbs!

Rosemary seems to prefer a brighter place but not total sunshine. Mine wouldn't grow in a shaded location, I moved it to receive some afternoon sun and now its doubled in size.

In the UK my rosemary bush is in almost total shade and still grows, I guess there must be some acclimatization going on.

Agree - I saw a healthy rosemary at Ricardo's place in Mae Jo (actually the doing of green-fingered Mrs Ricardo) that was growing happily in the dappled (i.e. 50/50) shade of something else. Regarding humidity/rain, the key seems to be providing excellent drainage (e.g. a good few centimetres of almost pure grit under the root ball). In southern Spain, I kept seeing rosemary growing prolifically on the most arid wind/sun-blasted bits of near soil-less rock you can imagine - seems to be one of those "treat 'em mean" plants. Best prospect in Thailand seems to be to get it into the right medium in a good-sized clay pot (maybe even give it some small rocks to push it roots through) and position it where it won't get rained on and will get only a few hours morning sun or maximum 2-3 hours afternoon sun.

Regarding a later post: Thailand + greenhouse? Ermmmmm....... :)

Well I went to Kahm Tieng and bought oregano, basil, thai chiles, and a rosemary bush. Thanks for the heads up about Rimping though. It is obviously much more expensive than the market, but if I can't find thyme and sage anywhere else I will go there. I have them all planted now in a small herb garden in front of my house. The original soil is pretty crappy, I knew herbs did well in bad dirt, but I added some planting soil on top of it and poorly mixed it. The area gets direct sun light from about 9 to 1230. So we will see. I just hope the rain doesn't drown them.

Well I went to Kahm Tieng and bought oregano, basil, thai chiles, and a rosemary bush.

I have found that basil needs to be very well drained or it succumbs to "damp off" and it does not like direct hot sun. Part shade is ideal.

I read that after I planted it. I have no idea how my dirt is going to act. Also, I don't really understand this pinching off business when the plant is going to seed. Does that just mean picking off the flowers?