How Does Thailand Compare With...

dumbnewbie

I find that you really only know a place in relation to another place. For instance, most of us only really understood our native countries after living in another country for the first time.

With that in mind, how would you guys compare Thailand with some other countries you know (either your home country or others, especially in Asia)?

For example, I'll start: Thailand compared w/ Japan

Thailand pluses:

cheaper

friendlier

better dental/medical care (if at one of the better clinics/hospitals)

great food

more advanced anti-smoking laws

Thailand negatives:

too hot & humid all year long

air pollution

pickpockets, aggressive lady boys, muggers, scam artists, police shakedowns

political instability, some risk of terrorism, coups, strikes, violent demonstrations

too many bugs all year long

mosquitoes - malaria, dengue fever, etc.

traffic in Bangkok - stressful, pollution

Japan pluses:

very clean

very safe (little kids take the subway alone in Tokyo; people leave their cars running while shopping in 7-11!)

4 seasons in most of the country - fall & spring very beautiful

tap water is safe to drink; also means you don't have to worry about ice, salads, etc. containing dirty water

hygiene in general is very high

fantastic public transportation in Tokyo, other big cities

very clean taxis, w/ honest drivers (but very expensive)

no tipping! (not sure about Thailand, but I think you tip in some places, right?)

Japan negatives:

expensive

cold, racist, arrogant people (for the most part, but they are polite)

expensive, bland food gets old very quickly; good foreign food hard to find, not so good, very expensive

ridiculously difficult and expensive to rent an apartment (most won't even allow foreigners)

service in restaurants not so good or friendly (due to no tipping!)

Edited by dumbnewbie

Some years ago my best pal and I were discussing this same topic, but approached it from a different angle. In an effort to find the “perfect” country in which to live, we each made a list of aspects we favoured and a list of intolerable faults for each country. Then, by a process of elimination, we discovered there was only ONE country that fulfilled our aspirations.

Not England, not Thailand, not Finland, not even New Zealand…..it’s known as

Cloud Cuckoo Land

Some years ago my best pal and I were discussing this same topic, but approached it from a different angle. In an effort to find the "perfect" country in which to live, we each made a list of aspects we favoured and a list of intolerable faults for each country. Then, by a process of elimination, we discovered there was only ONE country that fulfilled our aspirations.

Not England, not Thailand, not Finland, not even New Zealand…..it's known as

Cloud Cuckoo Land

:) yooooou mean ......mae hong son land, surely......and aka land of sugar n american pies, english buttercakes, dutch parmesan cheeses, napoli pizzas, et. al., at much much lower prices :D

A real eye opener of a story on Dubai in the online Washington Post today. If farangs think it's bad for them in Thailand, it seems that the middle east's utopia has really turned on its foreign expat business community. It makes Thailand seem "gulp" hospitable in comparison.

I mention this because it wasn't too long ago the threads were filled with how much better Dubai was compared to Thailand, and now it seems it aint so.

Right, many expats are in BKK, but most live somewhere else. I live next to the sea since many years in wonderful surroundings and like BEENTHEREDONETHAT said already: Many of the problems you comment on we do not have in the area where I live.

Some years ago my best pal and I were discussing this same topic, but approached it from a different angle. In an effort to find the "perfect" country in which to live, we each made a list of aspects we favoured and a list of intolerable faults for each country. Then, by a process of elimination, we discovered there was only ONE country that fulfilled our aspirations.

Not England, not Thailand, not Finland, not even New Zealand…..it's known as

Cloud Cuckoo Land

hi Riley'sLife , I may have missed something here ... what is Cloud Cuckoo Land ? is it Australia ?

cheers :)

dumbnewbie,

It has been a while since the forum hosted a "why I hate Thailand" thread, and we appreciate you taking the time to start a new discussion.

That was not my intention. Read the OP again. My hope is to learn the good and bad points of many countries.

Edited by dumbnewbie