Looking For A Good Muay Thai Camp

trigg

Hi there !

I will be staying in Chiang mai for 2 months and i was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations for a good place to train muay thai.

I am a little unsure about what place to choose.

One of the most interesting places i have looked into so far was the Chai-Yai Gym close to the Nonghoi market.

Has anyone experiences with that place or heard anything about it ?

And how about Krav-Maga ? Is there any chance of taking courses in Chiang mai?

thanks in advance

Hi there !

I will be staying in Chiang mai for 2 months and i was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations for a good place to train muay thai.

One of the most interesting places i have looked into so far was the Chai-Yai Gym close to the Nonghoi market.

thanks in advance

The biggest most established gym is Lanna Boxing, you can contact Andy through their website. They've been around for a long time and have trained many pro and amateur boxers. There's a smaller gym in Mae Rim, about 20 min from central Chiang Mai if you're looking for a smaller gym with less distractions. PM if you're interested in either and I can find their phone numbers.

Thanks for your reply seesip.

I know about the Lanna Camp and have a friend who has trained there.I think it was about 2 years ago.He advised me not to go there because of some of the trainers attitudes.When i visited the place i also did not have the best feeling about it either.

The other place you mentioned sounds interesting, but i am staying in the city ,so that would be at least a 40 minutes drive everyday to get there and come back.And that is only if you go there once a day.But if it is really a good place it maybe worth it.Can you give me some more details about that place on Mae Rim?

How many training sessions per day? How about the cost? Have you trained there yourself?

And what about the Chai-Yai gym has no one experiences with that place?

Thanks for your reply seesip.

I know about the Lanna Camp and have a friend who has trained there.I think it was about 2 years ago.He advised me not to go there because of some of the trainers attitudes.When i visited the place i also did not have the best feeling about it either.

The other place you mentioned sounds interesting, but i am staying in the city ,so that would be at least a 40 minutes drive everyday to get there and come back.And that is only if you go there once a day.But if it is really a good place it maybe worth it.Can you give me some more details about that place on Mae Rim?

How many training sessions per day? How about the cost? Have you trained there yourself?

And what about the Chai-Yai gym has no one experiences with that place?

No experience with Chai Yai gym. You can get out to Mae Rim easily by yellow truck (Rot Day San) from Chang Phuak, it's 20 baht each way. If you're in town just to train, you could consider renting a place in Mae Rim as an option.

The camp is called Phet Muen Wai, you can call him directly 087-193-3571 to ask about pricing. It's a small camp, about 6 boxers, foreigners very infrequently. The locals train a bit in the morning, but the main session is the afternoon one. It's from 5 to about 8. The training is hard, interval running at the start for about half an hour, then bag drills, pad work, sparring etc. You will definitely get your money's worth, there's not a lot of down time. If you're interested, head out there for a few days of training to see if you like it, just pay by the day while you decide. Good luck.

I live round the corner to the one in Nong Hoi and have stopped by a couple of times to take pictures. I see tired, tattooed, sweaty but frighteningly fit looking foreigners running around the block almost every afternoon and it seemed like a friendly kind of place when I visited.

post-40471-1250246110_thumb.jpg

post-40471-1250246145_thumb.jpg

post-40471-1250246190_thumb.jpg

post-40471-1250246337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greenside

Hi there !

thanks in advance

There is no Krav-Magda is Chiang Mai that I know of.

If you want to seriously study Muay Thai I would recommend, Pedro Villalobos' gym in Hang Dong, though he expects his students to train 5 days a week, for around 4 hours min a day. He teaches his own style which is based on Muay Boran, the original bare knuckles version of Thai Boxing. An excellent teacher with very little ego. The website is www.ancientmuaythai.com, there are students of all abilities training there.

Thanks for all your replies greenside,seesip and anonymouse.

I guess it will either be the Chai-Yai or the place on Mae-Rim.

But i am a little worried that if the place on Mae-Rim caters mostly to thais , the trainer can speak sufficient english? That could maybe turnout to be a problem.

Will visit both places during the next days and then decide what fits best for me.

I will let you know what place and why i chose it as soon as i decided.

trigg