Do New Moterbikes Come With Red Plates

lemsip

We can hire them in Amphor Ban Dung --- Udon Thani Province. TW paid 100Baht/Month. Complete waste of money and unnecessary. Status symbol bullshlt!

Still yet to figure, after 9 years living here, why the Thais can't produce number plates to meet demand and issue them with new vehicles as in the rest of the so called civilized world!

This is a thorny issue..

Here on Phuket you ALWAYS get a red plate and not having one would lead to massive problems.. Unplated bikes dont ride around without problems.

I am told in BKK you dont get them if you pay cash.. But you do if you buy on credit..

I firmly believe the law states you must have a red plate to ride on the road.. I readily admit that in bangkok the police may tolderate this process, but no one has ever shown me a law that says its ok for so many days like members post on here. Of course the law is in reality only what is enforced but welcome to Thailand TiT etc.

My understanding is red plates belong to the dealer, they are what in the UK we call trade plates, they register the bike to that dealer and these cost the dealer money, hence getting more of them is extra costs and hassle and many dont want to comply. When you done with the plate (hes got you the white plate and book) the plate goes back to the dealer and is recycled onto the next sold bike etc.