Give Me One Good Reason?

So I will try again.

If you buy land here to live , it's ok, because the island can take that (sweet water, electric, etc.).

But if you are just here, to buy a piece of land, to sell it with a profit, ex. big villas, pools, jakuzis, too big (empty) hotelresorts , (wonder why,,,lol,,,) etc. (all we don't need and the island hasn't got the sweet water to support it), and then: these people just leave to f..k up another island!?!? Just making money, (for some few developers) does not make it right!!! And I know TIT, but these people should not be tolerated here, or what do you think, if you live here and love the nature here on the islands?

Any thoughts???

P.S.and please spare me that somalia stuff

... these people should not be tolerated here

Totally agreed - let's throw them all out.

Trouble is, these intolerable locals managed to get here 400 years before (and they seem to outnumber) the more progressive and enlightened expat community...

Trouble is, these intolerable locals managed to get here 400 years before (and they seem to outnumber) the more progressive and enlightened expat community...

Well I mean the "more progressive and enlightened expat community" (land developers) to be not tolerated here, NOT the locals. Good morning.

Well I mean the "more progressive and enlightened expat community" (land developers) to be not tolerated here, NOT the locals. Good morning.

Ok, let's setup a review board to weed out these intolerable undesirables, and a review board to oversee the review board... :)

Related to this topic.

Ok, let's setup a review board to weed out these intolerable undesirables, and a review board to oversee the review board... :D

Related to this topic.

I think we won't need these review board,,,lol,,,

cause all the speculators and developers with their land and greeed,

will feel the pinch soon when we will see the bottom of the rcession.

And hopefully it will be thought through, before building in the future.

But still, that has to be seen. :)

So I will try again.

If you buy land here to live , it's ok, because the island can take that (sweet water, electric, etc.).

But if you are just here, to buy a piece of land, to sell it with a profit, ex. big villas, pools, jakuzis, too big (empty) hotelresorts , (wonder why,,,lol,,,) etc. (all we don't need and the island hasn't got the sweet water to support it), and then: these people just leave to f..k up another island!?!? Just making money, (for some few developers) does not make it right!!! And I know TIT, but these people should not be tolerated here, or what do you think, if you live here and love the nature here on the islands?

Any thoughts???

You seem to forget a few things and the most important is the growing population in the world, in Thailand, in Koh Phangan...everywhere.

Thailand had 19 million people, just 60 years ago, in 1950 - see link*. Now it has 64 million people and the projection is 77 million for 2025 and that's just 16 years away.

That's a shorter period than I came to Samui in 1989 and a much shorter period I came to Thailand for the first time, more than 30 years ago when Patong beach on Phuket was an absolute virgin beach, practically empty. And you Frankman, when did you come to LOS for the first time ?

The world**, in 1950, had a mere 2,5 Billion people; now, 60 years later it has some 6,7 Billion people....when were you born Frankman ? :D

We have to face the facts that others are entitled to go and live where YOU live also. You don't own that right, you can't even dream of it, apart from a possibility to marry a Thai girl and start buying all the available land on Phangan and avoid the construction of more houses, villas and developments.

The people who own land want to sell it for various reasons; others build houses for other reasons, they ALL have the right to do so. Those people worked hard and made money and it is up to them to build a house as a 2nd home or for later to retire, not for the reasons you are willing to implement or in your own words:

"..these people should not be tolerated here..."

You asked me what I would think and this is my answer :)

* http://earthtrends.wri.org/text/population...rofile-179.html

** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population_estimates

Note:

if you think I liked it to see Phuket overdevelop and ruined...Samui develop (since 20 years), you're wrong. I saw it happen and had sad feelings. The only thing one can do about it....is disappear, cherish the memories, remember the good old days, smile, look at the old photos and move on, along the road.

You should do the same since you're not able to change the things how they are and will develop in the future; you're a guest in this country, on Koh Phangan, and if you don't like it anymore there's only one way out:

..the boat

post-13995-1251116902_thumb.jpg

LaoPo

There isn't much anyone here on this forum can do, but there are steps the government could take to ensure that the environment is not overwhelmed by out of control land clearing etc. There are protected govt lands, but as Samui has shown many times this is being encroached.

Some thoughts I have had in the past few years here -

1. Speedhumps - why on earth do the roads department not place speedhumps (or bumps, whichever you prefer) in strategic places? They could be clearly marked - even lit - definitely proven to slow traffic. We need hundreds!

2. Motor cars - there are more and more passenger cars on the island (not resort pickups). There should be a heavy tax imposed on non business owned vehicles, and visitors should not bring vehicles at all. Taxis are not bad here.

3. Dogs - introduce a dog licence fee and destroy animals not licenced by their "owners". Our neighbours have 10 :):D

4. Pedestrianise some of Thongsala!

I think the mistakes were made hundreds of years ago - the islands should never have fallen into private hands; instead life leases should have been granted in the same manner land was originally distributed (how that was done - anyone?).

Land should never have become a means to make profit - there is no end to peoples greed...

Who were the original "land owners"? Adam n Eve?

So I will try again.

Any thoughts???

You seem to forget a few things and the most important is the growing population in the world, in Thailand, in Koh Phangan...everywhere.

Thailand had 19 million people, just 60 years ago, in 1950 - see link*. Now it has 64 million people and the projection is 77 million for 2025 and that's just 16 years away.

That's a shorter period than I came to Samui in 1989 and a much shorter period I came to Thailand for the first time, more than 30 years ago when Patong beach on Phuket was an absolute virgin beach, practically empty. And you Frankman, when did you come to LOS for the first time ?

The world**, in 1950, had a mere 2,5 Billion people; now, 60 years later it has some 6,7 Billion people....when were you born Frankman ? :D

We have to face the facts that others are entitled to go and live where YOU live also. You don't own that right, you can't even dream of it, apart from a possibility to marry a Thai girl and start buying all the available land on Phangan and avoid the construction of more houses, villas and developments.

The people who own land want to sell it for various reasons; others build houses for other reasons, they ALL have the right to do so. Those people worked hard and made money and it is up to them to build a house as a 2nd home or for later to retire, not for the reasons you are willing to implement or in your own words:

Note:

if you think I liked it to see Phuket overdevelop and ruined...Samui develop (since 20 years), you're wrong. I saw it happen and had sad feelings. The only thing one can do about it....is disappear, cherish the memories, remember the good old days, smile, look at the old photos and move on, along the road.

You should do the same since you're not able to change the things how they are and will develop in the future; you're a guest in this country, on Koh Phangan, and if you don't like it anymore there's only one way out:

..the boat

LaoPo

So LaoPo,

I came her first time 1988 and it was paradise back then. I stayed more than 11 years on Koh Phangan and still like it here!!! And I am not leaving!!!

I don't know if you understand my point!!!

I have no problems with people building their own home (like metioned before) just the people speculating with land for their own benefit should not be tolerated! !!!!!! !

And the worldpopulation is growing, wow!!! Never thought about that,,,lol,,,

If you like the people building big appartementblocks so we have no water anymore and look at these ugly things, that is your thing.

Everybody should live where he wants, but going somewhere to f..k the island up just to make money, and than leave to do the same awfull thing somewhere else, IS NOT RIGHT!!

Got it now!?!?

There isn't much anyone here on this forum can do, but there are steps the government could take to ensure that the environment is not overwhelmed by out of control land clearing etc. There are protected govt lands, but as Samui has shown many times this is being encroached.

1. Speedhumps - why on earth do the roads department not place speedhumps (or bumps, whichever you prefer) in strategic places? They could be clearly marked - even lit - definitely proven to slow traffic. We need hundreds!

2. Motor cars - there are more and more passenger cars on the island (not resort pickups). There should be a heavy tax imposed on non business owned vehicles, and visitors should not bring vehicles at all. Taxis are not bad here.

3. Dogs - introduce a dog licence fee and destroy animals not licenced by their "owners". Our neighbours have 10 :D:D

I think the mistakes were made hundreds of years ago - the islands should never have fallen into private hands; instead life leases should have been granted in the same manner land was originally distributed (how that was done - anyone?).

Land should never have become a means to make profit - there is no end to peoples greed...

100% agreed :)

So LaoPo,

I came her first time 1988 and it was paradise back then. I stayed more than 11 years on Koh Phangan and still like it here!!! And I am not leaving!!!

I have no problems with people building their own home (like metioned before) just the people speculating with land for their own benefit should not be tolerated! !!!!!! !

If you like the people building big appartementblocks so we have no water anymore and look at these ugly things, that is your thing.

Everybody should live where he wants, but going somewhere to f..k the island up just to make money, and than leave to do the same awfull thing somewhere else, IS NOT RIGHT!!

Got it now!?!?

Why are you so unfriendly ? ...and ending with a very unfriendly "Got it now!?!?"

You asked: "Any thoughts"; I gave them to you and you start attacking me ? :D

*Why don't you say so to the developers you encounter on Phangan instead attacking me ?

* Why don't you have such a big mouth to the original citizens of Phangan who've lived there all their lives and decided to sell land to buyers and developers, instead attacking me ?

* Why don't you go to the responsible authorities on Phangan and give them such a big mouth, telling them you don't agree with the situation, instead attacking me?

Do so, be my guest, and wait and see if you're able to leave the island alive.... :)

You wrote: "..these people should not be tolerated here..." so, go out and talk to "these people" and stop attacking me and ranting on this forum, Mr. big mouth :D

LaoPo

Mankind has an insatiable urge to consume and destroy everything on his path to oblivion.

And when all is done and there is nothing left to devour, it will turn on itself for the final feast.

well that's cheered me right up! I think I'll eat my own arm now :-)

3. Dogs - introduce a dog licence fee and destroy animals not licenced by their "owners". Our neighbours have 10 :):D

I agree with # 1 - 2 - 3 and 4; very good ideas.

However, I fully disagree with your last sentences and you're not aware of the consequences if land would be leased according to your ideas. The whole economical system would collapse leaving millions of people out of work, income and bread/rice. Your idea was/is implemented by communistic regimes: everything is owned by the state....

Land and real estate are a major part of the (worldwide) economical progress and development of which you and I are depending on.

Many people do not realize that traveling to Phangan, Thailand... or thousands of other destinations in the world, is depending on major developments, two major inventions, most important amongst those, are: airplanes and fuel....

Without those two we wouldn't even discuss "Phangan" and be here.

50 years ago VERY few people even traveled any further than their immediate area; now we've people who think they have more rights to be somewhere than others...10,000 miles away from their place of birth... :D

Your idea of leasing land by the authorities is a nightmare idea; its very nice if you have a lovely government and authorities.....it would be a nightmare if YOU were hated by one of those -corrupt- authorities and not granted any land but the sons and daughters of that man were granted all the fertile and beautiful land around you....just think of that.

Ideology but not realistic.

LaoPo

Why worry.

Nature is going to regain all the failed projects.

Maybe not in my lifetime, but 50 years from now the Coco project might be a tourist attraction.

When the jungle has taken over the houses and crocodiles lives in the abandoned swimming pools. :)

So I will try again.

Any thoughts???

Note:

..the boat

LaoPo

So LaoPo,

Got it now!?!?

I understand your feelings and frustrations, as you see the landscape you have grown to love changing outwith your control, but I cant help but wonder what answers you would like people to offer re your original post.

When asking for 'any ideas' surely you must be gratefull for any constructive replies.

To state 'People Speculating with land for their own benefit must not be tolerated'?? Seems quite a strange thing to say. Why would anybody buy land if not to speculate as to what they might do with it? Do farmers not buy land and speculate as to what proffit they might make? should they also not be tolerated?

Throughout history people have always migrated to virgin territory, bought up land and used it to their advantage (ie America, Australia ..anywhere really). There are always winners and losers.

Making the most of what land you have and trying to achieve a proffit from it is not a new thing. Why should Koh Pangan be any different?

Edited by smallprawn

Can we get back on topic please. Have deleted several posts that have nothing to do with this thread.

Exactly what is the topic: "give me one good reason" seems fairly general to me?

Comparing the situation here to a different culture is hardly off topic.

Can we get back on topic please. Have deleted several posts that have nothing to do with this thread.

Exactly what is the topic: "give me one good reason" seems fairly general to me?

Comparing the situation here to a different culture is hardly off topic.

What are you comparing? KPG's social standing against Cuba's political & social reform? What in the world has that got to do with the OP's original question?

So LaoPo,

Got it now!?!?

Why are you so unfriendly ? ...and ending with a very unfriendly "Got it now!?!?"

You asked: "Any thoughts"; I gave them to you and you start attacking me ? :D

*Why don't you say so to the developers you encounter on Phangan instead attacking me ?

* Why don't you have such a big mouth to the original citizens of Phangan who've lived there all their lives and decided to sell land to buyers and developers, instead attacking me ?

* Why don't you go to the responsible authorities on Phangan and give them such a big mouth, telling them you don't agree with the situation, instead attacking me?

Do so, be my guest, and wait and see if you're able to leave the island alive.... :)

You wrote: "..these people should not be tolerated here..." so, go out and talk to "these people" and stop attacking me and ranting on this forum, Mr. big mouth :D

LaoPo

Ah,

now I remember why I stopped posting on this enlightened forum... :D

Hi all !

I was just wondering,

if somebody can give me ONE good reason,

why we need all these luxury land developments on KPG,

if we know how bad Samui is overdeveloped.

Just a thought...

Cheers

Frank

Well, look away... it's called "Development"...

but one has hit the floor already with 17 Billion Baht gone...

many more will follow.

30 Mill. for a "Villa"... :)

Hi all !

I was just wondering,

if somebody can give me ONE good reason,

why we need all these luxury land developments on KPG,

if we know how bad Samui is overdeveloped.

Just a thought...

Cheers

Frank

Well, look away... it's called "Development"...

but one has hit the floor already with 17 Billion Baht gone...

many more will follow.

30 Mill. for a "Villa"... :)

Yeah I know,

but do you have a good reason why we should need that "beautiful developement" here?

Good to see,

all the greedy specolatiors going down the drain!

:D

Edited by frankman

i knew that was coming but if you have lived here as long as i have, and i think you have lived here longer, you will know that you don't have to upgrade that land to put a small house on it, not in phangan, not if your family are from here.

I know, but money is tight now. So we will have to wait. :)