Old Bachelors In Chaing Mai

joe33

I'm quite happy for 5 months in my one room with a small balcony.

My_room.jpg

Lots to do including bowling. Believe it or not were WERE at a bowling alley, but it turned into a party.

Bowling_party_12.jpg

I might be an old fart but I still have lots of young friends.

Bowling_party_1.jpg

And we sometimes go to a local watering hole to listen to jazz...

Jazz_group.jpg

Friends.jpg

And there are some nice local hikes if you go the trail up Doi Suthep...

Doi_Suthep_trail_11.jpg

Doi_Suthep_trail_15.jpg

And there are great little restaurants everywhere...

Pim_at_Mr_Magus_3.jpg

BTW Ian, great pics. The warmth and happiness. A good reminder of why I live here.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to tell you that UOB bank was the only bank that did not charge a fee to use their ATM, but according to another thread, that changed today. There are several other banks in the US that do not charge a fee for using a foreign ATM but I don't know of any others that reimburse the fees.

Currently, GSB (Government Savings Bank) and AEON (have never used them) don't charge the 150baht fee yet.

You can also get an unlimited fee reimbursement ATM card from Fidelity and eTrade.

Oh I forgot to mention that I have read on TV that you can also go to a bank with your ATM card and passport and withdraw a sizable amount. I still am not clear on who controls the exchange rate, the local bank or visa for this type of transaction.

Thanks guy, really good into to know and much appreciated. All you guys have been great about providing very valuable info from your personal experiences there. Have a good one and enjoy. Joe

I was going to tell you that UOB bank was the only bank that did not charge a fee to use their ATM, but according to another thread, that changed today. There are several other banks in the US that do not charge a fee for using a foreign ATM but I don't know of any others that reimburse the fees.

Currently, GSB (Government Savings Bank) and AEON (have never used them) don't charge the 150baht fee yet.

You can also get an unlimited fee reimbursement ATM card from Fidelity and eTrade.

Oh I forgot to mention that I have read on TV that you can also go to a bank with your ATM card and passport and withdraw a sizable amount. I still am not clear on who controls the exchange rate, the local bank or visa for this type of transaction.

Thanks guy, very helpful info and much appreciated. You have a good one and enjoy. Joe

That's a good deal. How much is it without the frig?

25 baht per month less. Even though, the frig is a small, 2 meters high, double door model, re-stocked weekly (by owner at no additional charge, of course) with champagne, beer, cheese, steaks, chicken, milk, yogurt, cakes, ice cream and assorted organic vegetable and fruits, I think the additional 25 baht is probably a good value.

What do you think?

Oh dear. You'll start him off on whether it includes free water in a minute. A good response from you though. You have to match his attempts at humour.

Plus, not yet mentioned, one can easily transfer money from any other account into the Schwab account using the Schwab online website. The only reason I opened the Schwab account was to be able to access funds from overseas at no cost. They FedEx'd the ATM card to me to my Thai post office box so there was no hassle of having to be stateside to receive it.

I am curious about Schwab. Are you talking brokerage or bank account? Did you open the account as a US based Schwab account with a US address and then changed the address to Thailand or did you open a Schwab INTERNATIONAL account (different rules)?

I am curious about Schwab. Are you talking brokerage or bank account? Did you open the account as a US based Schwab account with a US address and then changed the address to Thailand or did you open a Schwab INTERNATIONAL account (different rules)?

I have both the US based High Yield Checking (.75%) and High Yield Savings (1.05%) FDIC banking accounts. They need a US address and unfortunately they don't allow an overseas mailing address unlike many of their brokerage competition. For this, you would need to get their international accounts which I assume have much lower interest rates. Most documents are available online and they, at least, mailed at my request, my ATM cards to my Thai address.

"My rent for my fan only room is under 2,650baht ...... a well maintained 5 to 7 years old apartment building with cabletv, wifi internet  and frig."

25 baht per month less. Even though, the frig is a small, 2 meters high, double door model, re-stocked weekly (by owner at no additional charge, of course) with champagne, beer, cheese, steaks, chicken, milk, yogurt, cakes, ice cream and assorted organic vegetable and fruits, I think the additional 25 baht is probably a good value.

What do you think?

A two metre high frig!! - That's not small. Espescially for Thailand. Okay, she comes well-stocked but all the same, it's not really my thing, so I'd rather save the 25 baht. 

That could buy a whole bottle of water in some places.

Ice extra, of course. :)

(Sorry, for changing the tack but all this talk about money ..... it's so common and vulgar!!)

Edited by KevinHunt

OK, this reminds me of a funny story.

I lived in Port Moresby PNG for quite a few years.

Someone wrote a book called "Port Moresby Mixed Doubles" (Sorry Mr. author, can't remember your name).

Theme of the book was short stories about European/PNG National relationships.

One story was of young Australian lad with his PNG girlfriend at a rather stuffy "colonial type expat" dinner party.

Question posed at the dinner table was "where did you meet your wife?"

For most of the colonial (white and white) couples, it was tennis club, golf club, university, country club etc.

Then came the turn of the young Aussie:-

"Well", he said "I was taking over the donga (apartment) of the outgoing tenant, and we were negotiating a price for his furniture and stuff".

"He had this really big fridge, which I couldn't really afford, so he said 'look, I am worried what will become of my girlfriend when I leave...if you will take her on and take care of her, I will chuck in the fridge for free".

So I did - and we have been together now for three years.

Hope I haven't infringed copyright by that quick summary of his story, but I still laugh when I think of it because it rings so true.

Honestly, TIT has nothing compared to some PNG tales.

Cheers,

J.

Edited by Jangot

What do you think?

Oh dear. You'll start him off on whether it includes free water in a minute. A good response from you though. You have to match his attempts at humour.

Are you always so right! I know I am.

Now 7 posts without Ian's photos!

Okay, just for you. Here is the portrait I did of you in pencil... :):D:D

Art_gallery_2.sized.jpg

Here is the crazy market near China town where most of the Chiang Mai Thais go to shop. You can spend all day there and never see it all.

Chiang_Mai_market_4.jpg

Ian, I think PB was not alluding to lack of new photos from you...rather to the folk who keep on including your photos in their replies.

I too enjoy your photos, but not three or four repeats in rapid succession :-)

J.

What do you think?

Now that IS a poor attempt at humour Kevin :D

But on the other hand I have just seen your signiture....and that really made me laugh :)

Hi guys,

First I want to thank every one of you for helping out this old guy here with your input, all very helpful and in a reasonable and rational manner. Being new to this forum I have made some mistakes in replying to some of your posts, still learning how to navigate all of the site features here(you can blame me for duplicating the photos provided by Ian a couple of times, not his fault by any means as he seems to be a very straight shooter and I really like his "style" with his activities here, may just follow his lead). Now I don't want this thread to get beat to death so maybe I should break down my future questions into separate subjects. Based on your input to date I have decided for future visits there just to rent a 1 bedroom condo/townhouse(with a pool) for 15K a month or less in a nice quiet location with easy access by public transport to eating and entertainment facilities and if any of you can give me some recommendations for places like this(with a website) it would be greatly appreciated. OK guys, once again you've all been great with your help. You all have a good one and enjoy. Like General MacArthur said in his final departure speech at West Point, " Old soldiers never die, they just go away", maybe it's the same for us old bachelors. Joe

They FedEx'd the ATM card to me to my Thai post office box so there was no hassle of having to be stateside to receive it.

Is that a new FedEx service? I have never found them to deliver to a PO Box, only to street addresses with phone numbers.

Yeah, but it took ya nearly 5 days. Were you at an "all you can eat" roman orgy? :):D

Ian, I think PB was not alluding to lack of new photos from you...rather to the folk who keep on including your photos in their replies.

I too enjoy your photos, but not three or four repeats in rapid succession :-)

J.

I knew that. I was just poking fun at PB, just as he was poking fun at us.

When responding to a post with photos, or too much dialogue, it's easy enough to delete portions of that post and still reply to what the person said. Pictures can often illustrate what any amount of words can't.

I'll often reply to a topic just to keep it on the current page if I feel there is worthwhile information in a topic. There has been good info on this thread about the cost of housing and how to save on banking.

Hi guys,

First I want to thank every one of you for helping out this old guy here with your input, all very helpful and in a reasonable and rational manner. Being new to this forum I have made some mistakes in replying to some of your posts, still learning how to navigate all of the site features here(you can blame me for duplicating the photos provided by Ian a couple of times, not his fault by any means as he seems to be a very straight shooter and I really like his "style" with his activities here, may just follow his lead). Now I don't want this thread to get beat to death so maybe I should break down my future questions into separate subjects. Based on your input to date I have decided for future visits there just to rent a 1 bedroom condo/townhouse(with a pool) for 15K a month or less in a nice quiet location with easy access by public transport to eating and entertainment facilities and if any of you can give me some recommendations for places like this(with a website) it would be greatly appreciated. OK guys, once again you've all been great with your help. You all have a good one and enjoy. Like General MacArthur said in his final departure speech at West Point, " Old soldiers never die, they just go away", maybe it's the same for us old bachelors. Joe

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away"

joe33.

quote ... rent a 1 bedroom condo/townhouse(with a pool) for 15K a month or less in a nice quiet location with easy access by public transport

here you go with 3 choices all advertised on rimpings notice board this week.

enjoy .... dave2

ps ... i have nothing to do with these people or know them before the knives come out for me : )

They FedEx'd the ATM card to me to my Thai post office box so there was no hassle of having to be stateside to receive it.

Is that a new FedEx service? I have never found them to deliver to a PO Box, only to street addresses with phone numbers.

The box is not actually at a post office, but a rent-a-box at a local mall, so perhaps that is why there was no problem.

joe33.

quote ... rent a 1 bedroom condo/townhouse(with a pool) for 15K a month or less in a nice quiet location with easy access by public tra

here you go with 3 choices all advertised on rimpings notice board this week.

enjoy .... dave2

ps ... i have nothing to do with these people or know them before the knives come out for me : )

Many thanks Dave, appreciate you taking the time to provide this info, very helpful. Have a good one and enjoy. Joe

Hi guys,

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away"

I stand corrected sir, the old memory not what it used to be. Anyway, the result is the same. Now you have a good day and enjoy. Don't let the little things get you down. Joe