Abhisit Asks Airport Officials To End Malpractice Problems, Scams

george

Yes!! But it is unlikely to ever happen (any change) Corruption is built into the Thai psyche. :)

Try living with 5000 Baht in a month or less and support your family back in home at the same time. I'd bet you would be collecting all kinds of "fees" pretty soon if you were a cop here. Of course it is wrong but being hungry makes people do all kinds of things.

The problem is the ridiculous low salaries but if those salaries were any better, you guys would complain why Thailand is so expensive. Then you would complain about corruption in Cambodia. You cannot have it both ways. Corruption is a big problem all the countries in which the salaries are too low.

It is even big problem even in the US where Wall Street has basically bought the whole system and are given hundreds of billions to pay big bonuses to banksters by the US government! So maybe corruption is also built into American psyche too? Or European psyche when dealing with EU support money for various shady projects all around?

I really don't think it is fair to compare the billion dollar corruption in Wall St/Washington funded by ignorant submissive tax payers with the small time scams in Thailand funded by the victims. No where near the same league, scale or audacity.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. It's about time. All the measures should have been implemented from the time it opened.

:)

better late then never.

Wasn't Taksin the guy who arranged the whole lot??

I thought but I don't know from where that the Kings setup was kind of unofficial anyway and partly in the wrong place...

I suppose King Company is Indian so why not kick them back to where their shop was supposed to be...

- Living here when you retire because it's cheap is not necessarily the main reason, sure it's a factor. Personally I like Thailand because it's laid back, you are still respected even though you are getting on a bit in life, the people are mostly cheerful, there's not so much crime, I like the climate, the scenery, the food, the live music, etc etc.

- I think most people here on this site know that in Thailand nobody is really in charge, except during a military coup. There is no centralized institution with real power to enforce the law, except the army. We don't want the army occupying the airport, do we ?. The current PM is not very powerful, he can only cajole, persuade, issue directives and hope that lower down echelons pick it up and do something about it. PM's do this for show only. Probably the current PM would like to do a lot of things to improve Thailand, but he just doesnt have enough power. Taksin was more effective than most PM's, but we know what happened to him. Sometimes there are govt campaigns or crackdowns, but these are only temporary and change from year to year. Most Thai officials or workers appear to be more more worried about placating their bosses than about doing the right thing. So in general it appears to be chaos in Thailand, and there's not a lot of point about thinking about what should or should not be done about minor matters such as the current airport issue, or about how to reform the country. It will never happen in Thailand without a major social revolution of some kind and that is not on the horizon. But if you accept all of that, and don't do anything illegal or stupid, you'll most probably have a whale of a time. And there's no reason why you cannot also air your opinions about it all, helps to pass the time.

Cheers,

Chips

Yes!! But it is unlikely to ever happen (any change) Corruption is built into the Thai psyche. :)

Try living with 5000 Baht in a month or less and support your family back in home at the same time. I'd bet you would be collecting all kinds of "fees" pretty soon if you were a cop here. Of course it is wrong but being hungry makes people do all kinds of things.

The problem is the ridiculous low salaries but if those salaries were any better, you guys would complain why Thailand is so expensive. Then you would complain about corruption in Cambodia. You cannot have it both ways. Corruption is a big problem all the countries in which the salaries are too low.

It is even big problem even in the US where Wall Street has basically bought the whole system and are given hundreds of billions to pay big bonuses to banksters by the US government! So maybe corruption is also built into American psyche too? Or European psyche when dealing with EU support money for various shady projects all around?

You hit it right on the head. Most farangs live here because most things in life are cheaper than back home. But it doesn't stop them complaining everyday. If you were earning what these people get paid then you would also get on board the gravy train in case your kids get sick. I am not excusing the scams but at ground level accept that it is a side affect of an underlying cause. Considering how low these people are paid (a situation that most farangs take full advantage of) i believe the level of service and honesty is surprisingly high. We can fix all this buy improving education, social health, workers compensation, workers benefits, police salaries, highly paid internal affairs, higher salaries all around, funded by higher taxes and guess what? It will then be too expensive for most farangs to retire here on their paltry by western standard pensions. Add to that the fact that once all the girls here have real education, degrees, good paying jobs or a Thai husband with same, they won't have to feign affections or sexual attraction with old fat desperate farang drunks. But then i guess there is always the Philippines. But wait a minute what was the reason you all preferred Thailand? Someone mentioned Singapore. Why are so many SG expats moving to Thailand? Some one mentioned Kingpower Exclusive right. Sounds like Halliburton's exclusive right to Iraq.

I suspect most expats know how to navigate the airport, it really is disgust at killing the goose that laid the golden egg - tourism, it is the tourists that get scammed.

Your point about education has validity, however I note it is often expats complaining about the poor education. This is something for the government to address to illicit social change, that they don't we can all pontificate as to why.

How about applying the same standard to the rest of the government and country???

Stop the scams...ripoffs.... payoffs... etc.... Or at least, give foreigners living or visiting in the country an official place to turn (English speaking) to help mediate such problems when they arise... The Tourist Police clearly don't function in that role...even though they should....

PS - It's easy to issue directives and regulations in Thailand... It's far less easy to see that the rules are actually enforced so that things really change... like mandatory motorcycle helmets.... no smoking in indoor aircon bars... etc etc...

I AGREE 100% Well Said :)

When you talk about motorbike helmets absolutely correct. Go to Phuket and Kamala, Surin Beach, upto heroine monument

Its very difficult to find anyone with a motorbike helmet. In Phuket Town they get checked but in the villages???

And donot forget the idiots who donot how to sit on a motorbike!! Some of them cannot brake!!

Here's a new one. This just happened to me this last week. Due to a very dodgy, sloppy, unorganized Visa Run service (initials are JTGI) I found myself THB 6,500 poorer for a 13 day over-stay. But, it didn't end there. There were four police officers there and when I had paid my fine and went through the tunnel to the concourse. They came up behind, stopped me, and pulled me to the side. They demanded THB 10,000 for my over-stay. I told them in Thai that I had already paid my fine and showed them a receipt. That's for the government one said. He being the apparent leader let a big smile escape and very quietly told me that the extra 10,000 was for all the trouble the farangs have been stirring up at the airport. I told them that I wanted to talk to the tourist police. The leader just put his hand on his gun and smiled. What could I do? I gave up the money. I have lived in Thailand for 3 years now and I am surprised this happened. Yes I know this kind of stuff goes on every day, but I never thought I would be on the receiving end of such a brazen crime

I am a frequent Irish traveller to the land of Snarls but I will not set foot in King Power outlets for fear of this rip off, nor will I carry anything of value in my baggage. It's disgusting however when the prime minister of a country states that these practices now have to stop. Do I assume therefore that until now it was ok to rip off travellers with these scams and now that it is becoming embarrassing the "practice" must stop! The corruption in Thailand is getting beyond a joke. I have almost 50 trips to Thailand under my belt ,but I dont think I will go again! Too much hassle,too much making it difficult for Falangs, too much double standards, too much corrupt policing, too many scams, too many traps for the unwary traveller and last but not least, there are even too many pickpockets! Thailand is losing favour with me and others like me. The world is a big place,we can go elsewhere. If Thailand wants to go down the tubes,then they are going the right way about it. Are they entirely stupid?

I tried to read all the post but only made it about half way.  The issue is not poor or bankers do it in the US or anything else.  Its this airport and it needs to be fixed because it effects us, we all use it and so do tourist.  

Stealing a cheating people is wrong and making excuses sound like a 3 year old talking back.  

I have been fully employed at a time with the US government and paid so little that my power bills would go un paid and I had to go to the State and get food stamps to feed my family.  Thank Jimmy Carter.  I never even once though it would be OK to steal anything.    Rich is only relative to where you spend it.  Lots of people in the US have no money.  I v never met a poor Thai person in the US.

I agree. It's about time. All the measures should have been implemented from the time it opened.

better late then never.

i passesd through survanha scam airport, two weeks ago,

on my way to london .

they wanted allthe usual ,for the scannner .

PLUS MY WALLETS.

i obviously objected to this ,

and was told no put wallet in tray ,

i would not be allowed to check in .

i obliged ,VERY RELUCTANTLY ,

pissed off , farang .{big time }

My feeling is that Abi had been offended because his fellows British mention the story.

Abi is sooooooooooooooooo terrifying, virile, strong...

He'll give a warning. After 30 warnings , they could receive a reprimand.

In French we say "pisser dans un violon".

In English, I guess it's "raking water up a hill" or "herding cats".

But he's a handsome bugger and looks go far in this country.

better late then never.

on my way to london .

PLUS MY WALLETS.

Have refused always to put my wallet and my watch through the machine in a tray. I have placed them in my bag, or carried them through myself for inspection.

Have never been told I couldn't or been told that I couldn't check in if they didn't go in the tray.

“Measures must be issued so that thiefs could not carry out their crimes,” Mr Abhisit said. “Duty-free shops must clearly display prices, cashiers counters, and signs specifying where merchandise cannot be removed,” said Mr. Abhisit.

He said airport authorities were told to install more surveillance cameras to help prevent baggage thefts."

Does Thailand need that the Prime Minister himself personally takes care to summon the "Airport Authority" on TV?

I ask:

Is THIS a matter of priority for the Prime Minister's Agenda ????!!!!

If Khun Abhisit has to take care this far about internal problems...

OMB (Oh My Buddha)!

I have been fully employed at a time with the US government and paid so little that my power bills would go un paid and I had to go to the State and get food stamps to feed my family.

Except here poor Thais do not get aid from the government. Dog-eat-dog world for the poor. People usually do not start breaking their moral codes until the last dollars/bahts/rubles have been spent and nobody loans more money.

When you consider the situation to Brazil or Argentina, it is not that bad at least yet. Corruption there is also a big problem.

Edited by tim73

Also VERY VERY confusing is the 'limosine Taxi' boot inside and all these limo-agents!

Tourists tend to think that this is the only taxi there is, and don't get informed of more than 100 Bangkok taxi's with meter, waiting for yoy outside!!

Please kick these limo-guys out!! and give CLEAR info where tourist can get a normal taxi, for a normal price (on the meter).

Ciao

I came thru there last week and while I was waiting for the bags to appear I went up to the limo taxi booth that is inside the arrivals hall before Customs. I was shown a sheet with pictures of some cars ranging from a limo down to a regular sedan. I was told that the sedan ( Nissan something ) was " only 950 Bt " and that included taxes !!!

Thats to the city and not Chiang Mai by the way :)

What is a fair price these days .........Swamp to City ?

:D

better late then never.

on my way to london .

PLUS MY WALLETS.

If we are gonna get into making comparisons, NZ would have to be one of the the most unfriendly immigration / customs / security people in the world. I believe that they must all be Nazi descendants.

I gotta a lot of negative things I could say about the realm but visit NZ "for a real airport experience" :)

PM asks airport officials to end malpractice problems, scams

BANGKOK: -- Faced by a number of negative reports appearing in international media about malpractice problems and scams taking place at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi international airport, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Saturday ordered airport officials to resolve the problems and restore confidence among foreign tourists.

After inspecting airport facilities and talking with airport authorities on problem-areas including duty-free shops, unlicensed taxis, baggage theft and government officials acting as influential figures, Mr. Abhisit said guidelines would be laid out so that transparency and tourist confidence could be restored at the airport.

“Measures must be issued so that thiefs could not carry out their crimes,” Mr Abhisit said. “Duty-free shops must clearly display prices, cashiers counters, and signs specifying where merchandise cannot be removed,” said Mr. Abhisit.

He said airport authorities were told to install more surveillance cameras to help prevent baggage thefts.

An international news report recently said that a number of European tourists – British, Danish and Irish in particular – reported they were falsely accused of shoplifting at Suvarnabhumi international airport and some recounted being taken to seedy motels where they were shaken down for thousands of dollars by a shady middleman.

Poorly-defined boundaries between different businesses sharing the same zone in the airport means that shoppers can unknowingly carry items they intend to purchase from one shop to another, and suggestions from come complainants that such gray-zones are intended to produce apparent shoplifting situations in which tourists can be pressured in scams.

Britain and Denmark are warning tourists on official government websites about such problems at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The facility opened in 2006 and has been dogged by corruption allegations, taxi touts with ‘broken metres’ and baggage thefts, prompting a recent order for luggage handlers to wear uniforms without pockets.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

I fail to undertand how the Prime Minister, with a straight face, can publically direct the Airport Authority to "stop stealing"... unless public self-humiliation is the only avenue.

[

on my way to london .

PLUS MY WALLETS.

Hey guys, I know we can blame the workers but if you plan ahead a bit and stow your valuables in the bag going through the scanner then you dont risk losing them as individual items. I always pack them in my bag. and then watch the bag go in and come out. You could even lock it if you want. the scanner is looking for liquids and wires. give security a chance, they are protecting you....

My feeling is that Abi had been offended because his fellows British mention the story.

Abi is sooooooooooooooooo terrifying, virile, strong...

He'll give a warning. After 30 warnings , they could receive a reprimand.

In French we say "pisser dans un violon".

In English, I guess it's "raking water up a hill" or "herding cats".

Oui, oui. In the USA it is called "pissing up a rope".....same assertation.

And when will the US government get serious about prosecuting those Wall Street crooks who caused this financial crisis of gigantic proportions? Or UK government. Banksters are running amok both in New York and London but still, they will receive their yearly bonuses no matter what! Pot calling the kettle black.

Most Farangs here have their monthly pension of 50000, 100000 or more Baths. That puts them straight to the upper class. Then it is easy to complain about corruption....

:):D:D:D:D

Dear, may I call you Magio6?

PM asks airport officials to end malpractice problems, scams

BANGKOK: -- Faced by a number of negative reports appearing in international media about malpractice problems and scams taking place at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi international airport, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Saturday ordered airport officials to resolve the problems and restore confidence among foreign tourists.

After inspecting airport facilities and talking with airport authorities on problem-areas including duty-free shops, unlicensed taxis, baggage theft and government officials acting as influential figures, Mr. Abhisit said guidelines would be laid out so that transparency and tourist confidence could be restored at the airport.

He said airport authorities were told to install more surveillance cameras to help prevent baggage thefts.

An international news report recently said that a number of European tourists – British, Danish and Irish in particular – reported they were falsely accused of shoplifting at Suvarnabhumi international airport and some recounted being taken to seedy motels where they were shaken down for thousands of dollars by a shady middleman.

Poorly-defined boundaries between different businesses sharing the same zone in the airport means that shoppers can unknowingly carry items they intend to purchase from one shop to another, and suggestions from come complainants that such gray-zones are intended to produce apparent shoplifting situations in which tourists can be pressured in scams.

Britain and Denmark are warning tourists on official government websites about such problems at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The facility opened in 2006 and has been dogged by corruption allegations, taxi touts with ‘broken metres’ and baggage thefts, prompting a recent order for luggage handlers to wear uniforms without pockets.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

Where are the airport police who arrested the tourist for false accusation?...Put them on T.V. on the spot,if not it will happen again..Thai help Thai,did we tousit or foe foreigner workin here in Thailand win any suggestion,,,hahahahahahaahah,,,They will never accept thier mistake,so be it...Just keep that in mind and enjoy your stay in Thailand....

[

on my way to london .

PLUS MY WALLETS.

The Tahi man is after your wallet, did you keep your eyes on him? Like you say they are all corrupt it's built into their psyche. I wonder who put it there.

"Mark" is much like Bill Clinton. Clinton was very good at introducing popular changes but the statements were purely made for the "feel good" effect. Clinton almost never followed up on his numerous "changes". Clinton's changes disappeared and a new one appeared the following week. It appears this PM is walking the same path. Soon it will be obvious that he is completely ineffective.

Take the right wing B.S. someplsce else.

This is pretty stupid excuse to be immoral and criminal

I think the poster was pointing out the fact not making excuses.

Oh Yeah stilll NZ is worse? Made my experience with them back in 1989 which has lead to an Striptease in the middle of the Immigration section, I am throw around my cloths, until I was just on removing my last piece of cloth when they finally stopped the stupid action.

Was great entertainment for the other arrivals and as well for me, shouting on them Nazis and tell them about the IATA Rules on how to treat suspects, or do an Body and Baggage search, but not like they did in the middle of all the other arrivals. :)

Imi here in Thailand where never a problem in all the Years I am been and going from here to Jobs all over the World. The Scams, and Taxis I just avoid, using it just as a gateway, as Suvanap is not a great Airport to relaxe and enjoy. Putting all in account for the last 4 years gone on in Thailand, in November 09 I change Place moving to Israel and get the spiritual and physical freedom to do my work, and not being hasseled with stupid and senseless laws implemented against Foreigners. The Thais have changed and not to the better, going against themselves, holding a convicted Criminal in high esteem, asking even for a royal pardon. Then all what can be said. My dear Thai fellows, the awakening will be very cruel and unpleasant, but the time is near that you have to take responsibility for your actions and doings. Face gehock will not help anymore.

I wish you good luck in your endevaour, I just relax as good as possible for the last few weeks I am here, and will watch then from the outside where the beloved Country is heading.

Simple just respect the facts in being in Thailand means you have to change your attitude and life is easy, just do not expect anything and you will get more then you are asking for. :D

If we are gonna get into making comparisons, NZ would have to be one of the the most unfriendly immigration / customs / security people in the world. I believe that they must all be Nazi descendants.

I gotta a lot of negative things I could say about the realm but visit NZ "for a real airport experience" :D