Upgrading Firmware True-branded Zyxel Modem: How To?

Cheops

Hi All,

I'm still strugling to get a better internetconnection. Many times I get a "page is reinitialized" error. Now this is ok for some websites and a refresh will help and the page loads, BUT I'm working on some websites and when I logged in and try to save some changes or configs I also get many times the "page is reinitialized" error. Some pages are giving this standard (I mean I know on forehand which page gives me this error) and I cannot save the changes I made. For sure this has something to do with True's DNS servers etc. OpenDNS does not work and I don't want to use OpenDNS as well, since True for sure is now intercepting errors from OpenDNS etc.

By the way, some month's ago I didn't have any of this problems at all!!

Long story, but my question:

Before buying a new router, how can I upgrade the firmware in my Zyxel True-branded P-660HW-T1 v2 router? Is it even possible?

Normally you should be able to do this when you logon using the standard address etc, but True :) has of course left out the normal way of upgrading the firmware. Even if you login the router they use some kind of double password. If I try to telnet to the router I cant login. Very sneaky!

I downloaded some firmware for this modem already, but can't upgrade now.

Anyone who succeeded in this? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Last option for me will be buying a new router, but just would like to try upgrade firmware first.

Hi All,

I'm still strugling to get a better internetconnection. Many times I get a "page is reinitialized" error. Now this is ok for some websites and a refresh will help and the page loads, BUT I'm working on some websites and when I logged in and try to save some changes or configs I also get many times the "page is reinitialized" error. Some pages are giving this standard (I mean I know on forehand which page gives me this error) and I cannot save the changes I made. For sure this has something to do with True's DNS servers etc. OpenDNS does not work and I don't want to use OpenDNS as well, since True for sure is now intercepting errors from OpenDNS etc.

Before buying a new router, how can I upgrade the firmware in my Zyxel True-branded P-660HW-T1 v2 router? Is it even possible?

Normally you should be able to do this when you logon using the standard address etc, but True :) has of course left out the normal way of upgrading the firmware. Even if you login the router they use some kind of double password. If I try to telnet to the router I cant login. Very sneaky!

Last option for me will be buying a new router, but just would like to try upgrade firmware first.

I'd just get a new modem. They are cheap. And also, if it doesn't work for some reason you still have the True one.

I really doubt your troubles come from the firmware - maybe your modem is bad, but the firmware is what all True customers get so if it caused severe issues they'd find out and fix very quickly. I know TIT but if you have an issue that affects all your customers you'll fix it fast even in Thailand.

As for dual login, thats what they did for sure. My TOT modem has two user modes, and you can switch between them. TOT didn't give me the password but you can search for it and find it online (admin/tot for TOT modems). Once you are in admin mode you can do more. But on my TOT modem, even in admin mode, there's still no way to upgrade the firmware or turn on bridge mode. I think it's just intentionally locked down - nothing you can do.

Thanks for your reply nikster.

I really doubt your troubles come from the firmware - maybe your modem is bad

I would like to set my own DNS settings in the router, that's why I would like to upgrade to a normal firmware. Sure there must be some backdoor to flash the firmware. Sure will get a new router, but would like to try this first.

I know TIT but if you have an issue that affects all your customers you'll fix it fast even in Thailand.

Well, in my opinion, True really don't care about any customers as long as they get there monthly subscription fees. It's a known fact that their DNS servers are at least to say not optimal. I think they are optimal set to reach websites like manager.co.th and alikes which about 90% from their Thai customers are visiting :)

My problem on the internet is mostly not related to speed, but only to connect to websites, which is really unworkable now. I'm using newsservers as well to download, but that is fast (max my connection).

Hi All,

Take your router and visit Fortune Town.

Here is the address in English http://www.zyxel.co.th/web/contact_us.php

You will get the answer you are looking for: whats wrong with my router... and can the firmware upgrade be done.

It's not possible. As you already noticed, the True firmware has the option for an upgrade removed. Just buy a proper router.

Edited by lothda

It's not possible. As you already noticed, the True firmware has the option for an upgrade removed. Just buy a proper router.

It's always possible, but just need to know how to hack this router. I already sniffed the 2nd pwd which flashed just a second while you enter the standard pwd to go to config:

post-23947-1250420941_thumb.jpg

By the way , passwordspectator is quite handy when you can't remember some password (and which is not recorded by explorer). It doesn't work in Firefox though, but only in explorer and many other applications on your pc for which you can't remember your pwd!

[stubborn mode]

Sure will buy a proper router later, but would like to try this first :)

[/stubborn mode]

Edited by Cheops