Brit Arrested With Bogus Banknotes In Phuket

george

You are right, it doesnt mention an ATM, only "branch" - my mistake - surely the branch in question can verify the claim, do the banks in england track serial numbers on bank notes they hand out? i.e. the record that XYZ serials were handed out during a given transaction?

No is the answer to that question.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well lets see maybe he did get the notes from a bank in Uk and maybe they were real notes.

Maybe he handed over the real notes to the in the Nakorn Luang Thai Bank and as he was probably unable to track the movements of the notes from the time of handing them over who is to say that he was not a victim of yet another scam in Thailand with the bank replacing his real notes with fakes they had inadvertently taken from another customer.

There is no mention of him posessing any other fake notes or otherwise and as has been posted many times already where did he get the bail money.

This is noy making sense really - I guess another case of tourist or farang beware.

Well I guess if the notes are found to be authentic he has already been scammed 300,000 baht in bail money because in thai there is no refund on bail bonds.

Just last week I handed over A$380 at a bank exchange just nesr the Landmark hotel on Sukhumvit, the teller barely even looked at them puched the currency and the amount ibto his computer and counted out the 10,000 odd Baht. He printed off the receipt asked me to sign the paper and then handed me my copy and the Baht. He never requested my passport or any form of ID either, something that always happens when I go inside a bank here. Let's face it why would someone knowingly risk a long sentence for a mere 21,000 Baht? I think this guy will be seen to be the victim here and hopefully get his bail money back and go home.

why in this day of technology is anyone walking around with the thick end of 75,000 baht in his pocket?was he looking for a lady boy to steal it from him? It for sure was his first time in Phuket,he was lucky(or stupid)that he made it all the way to the bank without some smiling Thai relieving him of his hard forged money.Tough luck,be more aware and wise up!!!

post-65831-1250505930_thumb.jpg

The exchange rate is a bit odd. How could he receive almost 22,000 baht from a twenty pound bank note. The exchange rate for buying baht with British pound is about 55 baht at the moment which would mean about 11,000 baht for twenty pounds or did he have two of these notes?

Why would he need to post bail if they've not yet checked the authenticity of the notes? That means any old teller could call the police on suspicion of fraud and the police would automatically arrest you?

Dear JJ, I have 100, 20 pound notes I would like to exchange with you at the rate you have quoted (11,000 Baht for 20 Pounds). Please PM to set up a meeting. I will gladly give you 100,000 Baht commission on the exchange so just bring 1.1 Million Baht for the exchange. I am sure I can source some more 20 Pound notes so that we can have an ongoing regular exchange. :)

Edited by midasthailand

Who withdraws currency and travels to another country to exchange them there? (Forgeries are usually bought locally.)

I withdraw using VISA or (/and) change money at a teller Before flying to another country. But that is me...

Actually, I still bring a stack of $100 and $50 bills with me when I come to Asia. I also bring my VISA debit cards, but since they charge services fees and now a 3% currency conversion fee, I believe I get a better deal at the currency exchange.

Of course, the black market in Manila is even better, although I have heard the stories and watch them like a hawk. I think writing down the serial numbers before using the money changer is an excellent idea.

One other problem I have encountered with the debit card is finding a bank with the same network as my US bank. Can be difficult.

Make sure the bank notes you bring are in virtually mint condition. Indonesia is the worst about accepting used or creased bills. I think they intend to use them for years over there, so they give a better exchange rate for perfectly new bills.

When trying to change $100 bills last October in Bangkok, I was told that the bank could not accept bills with a series date earlier than 2003. I had just gone to the bank and gotten good $100 bills, but did not know about the series date thing. It was a good thing I had travelers checks, because over half of the bills I had were too 'old' for the bank to accept. When I asked why this was, I was told that earlier series were too easy to counterfeit.

So this year I will be sure to get crisp, new bills, of the newest series...and still get travelers checks. :)

why in this day of technology is anyone walking around with the thick end of 75,000 baht in his pocket?was he looking for a lady boy to steal it from him? It for sure was his first time in Phuket,he was lucky(or stupid)that he made it all the way to the bank without some smiling Thai relieving him of his hard forged money.Tough luck,be more aware and wise up!!!

I will give you 400 pound, you give me 60,000 Baht OK? :) you can keep the other 15,000 Baht as commission. maybe you and JJ should get together.

Edited by midasthailand

I think hes telling the truth and the money he got from the bank in the UK was 2000 GBP in brand new 20's. They would have been kept nice and clean in his luggage and when he took the money to the bank in Thaliland they got suspicious because of the newness and being the newer 20' with the hologram . I would also think that not many people these days bring bundles of cash as debit/credit cards are used. This man possbly thought about the cost of using the ATM transfer fee and exchange rate given , decided to take cash and when the rate was higher than what he could get in the UK , cash in the money here for a higher baht rate and aslo save money by not haveing to pay 8 GBP per 100 pounds in UK and Thai bank fees .. Its not rocket science but I think the newer notes confused the teller .

Either his stories kosher and a British ATM machine can't detect counterfeit ---mmmmmm'

Or..

Their kosher and the tellers mucked up...

Or..

The teller knows the difference cos he handles cash day in day out...

I'm inclined to put money on the latter..

Edited by mongoose11

Well if they didnt find any printing equipment etc how can they charge him with "Forgery" ? I dont buy his story about pulling the dodgy notes from an ATM in England, but its easily checked by the Banks in England. Sounds like the guy just bought some dodgy notes down the pub and thought he could pass them off as real whilst on Holiday - silly boy! :)

Where does the report mention anything about an ATM withdrawal ??

"He told police he withdrew 1,500 pounds from a branch of Lloyds TSB in England before coming to Thailand on holiday last month."

In fact if it was possible to withdraw those particular notes from an ATM - then it is probable that they would NOT be counterfeit, as the bank's processing of notes prior to loading the ATM is very thorough.

Saying he got them from a UK ATM is a big mistake...

Yep he proberly is a <deleted> and tried to pass photocopies!!!! But I have got fake notes from a atm in the uk.remember back in about 1995 in the Uk there was a mountain of fake 20's and the banks could not tell the difference .I installed one of those blue light machines in my shop and found a few more..maybe now they are better at it now as that was a age ago.Seems to me they had to be poor fake like photcopies and this guy was on a looser!! bUT WHO KNOWS?

Feeling cynical today, I comment:

Whats the difference? "real" pound notes are not worth anything more than the paper.

Hear, hear ... Yes, the Brits have to take some guitar lessons so that they can play the pavements in BKK, C/May, and on the coasts, in order to increase their income, because the value of the UK pound will be down for years to come.

100% True Story.

I went to change £1000 into Baht last year at the bank in town. The teller was looking at all the notes very suspiciously in particular the 'watermark' area. He was inspecting them then referring to the 'big book of bank notes'. The manager was called and after much of a cafuffle the manager looks at me and says, ;the teller says there is a problem with all these notes'. What problem I enquired. 'He says the notes are not real because the Queen is not smiling!' What! says I, 'on the watermark' says the bankmanager, 'The Queen is not smiling'

After a pause of only 2 seconds silence which seemed like a lifetime to the Bank Manager and the Teller I am sure I could do nothing else other than piss myself giggling/laughing. I mean serious rib cracking laughter. Customers in the bank were visibly bemused by laughing farang. The manager looked at the teller and said , just give him the Thai Baht!

On another occasion for the same amount of money the teller would not take any notes with the pencil marks on the notes that the bank clerks leave. I asked why not they are the numbers the bank clerks write. He said they shpuld not and it means the notes might not be real. He would only change about £800 out of £1000. When he gave me my currency in 1000 baht notes, I went through them all and pulled out 15 notes with pencil marks on them. I said I wanted notes without pencil marks. He looked at me realised he had been a tool and had to go through his draw looking for 1000 baht notes without pencil marks on. LoL Funny I never had that problem with him again.

[/quote

Would have loved to be there to witness that! Just spat my tea all over my laptop reading that!! Thanks for that..lol

It may just be that with all the Quantitative Easing (why don't they call it what it is: printing money) being encouraged by governments and central banks that some nationalistic citizens are trying to do their part and help out. After all the government wants more money in circulation appearing out of thin air, so what is the problem?

Do they? :) More like 500 per day from my experience.

Yes, £500 is the norm but occasionally you need to ask them to 'upgrade' your account, otherwise it can be as low as £200.

Remember - not all ATM machines are the same, there are lots of ATM machines operated by private business other than banks, they are in bars, convenience stores, etc.

These ATM machines are loaded with cash by the operator so anything could be put into them. Check http://www.cashpointmachines.com/

Most Banks have a limit of £200.00 per day from ATM machines in the UK. So unless the person in question had a number of accounts it is unlikely that he got the notes by that method

£300 from Nationwide & £250 from A&L in 20's & 10's!7_8_123.gif

Edited by peecee

May be he got it as small change in notorious King Power Duty free shop while coming to Thailand. He should contact Srilankan Mr.Tony for his release :)

Hey everyone...before this poor alledged passer of forged notes is found guilty from "trial by forum experts" consder this...

Three years ago I received USD$5,000.00 in 100 dollar notes from my account via a bank teller in HSBC Singapore.

Upon returning to Phuket, I tried to change 10 x $100.00 notes for Baht. Four of the notes were rejected as forgeries.

Lucky for me, the guy at the exchange booth didn't contact the police, or I would have been in the same diabolical position.

HSBC firstly refused any liability, but when I threatened to contact the media, they reluctanly requested return of the notes

and two weeks later my account received a credit for $400.00. Think again folks...it could easily be you in the same position !!!!

Thanks for educating posters that always jump to conclusion without thinking of the other side of the coin.

The daily limit, without special authorisation, on most UK ATMs is still £200.00. They do not dispense £20.00 notes. The £20.00 note is acknowledged as being extrememly difficult to forge. They are obtainable only from the tellers inside the bank.

If they are fake, then the man is an idiot to try and change them at any recognised exchange facility.

Well, you might be right on the limits, although I've always had 500 limits without any special authorisation, and that is through Nat West. In respect of not dispensing 20 pound notes, that is total nonsense.

Hear, hear ... Yes, the Brits have to take some guitar lessons so that they can play the pavements in BKK, C/May, and on the coasts, in order to increase their income, because the value of the UK pound will be down for years to come.

I beg to differ. Had a quick glance at Bangkok Bank exchange rates today - 55.something sterling to the baht as opposed to 32.something for the dollar. Pounds up dollar's down.. and this has been a trend for a few weeks...

The Chinese are now moving into the UK real estate market for the first time in a big way although it ain't big news yet..

I'm predicting a resurgence of the pound not just due to this in sharpish time...

Anyway...back on topic!

Well I guess if the notes are found to be authentic he has already been scammed 300,000 baht in bail money because in thai there is no refund on bail bonds.

Wrong ! Bail money is refunded in Thailand as long as you go through the proper procedures. I got my Thai wife's bail money refunded

I just don't see a guy that age thinking he can bring forged currency into thailand and like a few posters say i smell a scam somewhere not from the poor brit. I also notice the local rag aimed at tourists and locals have also carried it on there front page pity there not that fast at reporting on the murders and shootings, which takes a while if any to reach there page's.

Who withdraws currency and travels to another country to exchange them there? (Forgeries are usually bought locally.)

I withdraw using VISA or (/and) change money at a teller Before flying to another country. But that is me...

Then you get an awful exchange rate..

Much better rates changing pounds to baht here rather then in UK..

Agree. Always got a much better exchange rate in Thailand for £ to Baht (and leftover Baht back to £) than back in Blighty .

Edited by katana

Pretty much everyone who knows what they are doing. You can get stung by as much as 10-15% by purchasing currency before you travel depending on where you buy it, I learned this the hard way years ago.

The daily limit, without special authorisation, on most UK ATMs is still £200.00. They do not dispense £20.00 notes. The £20.00 note is acknowledged as being extrememly difficult to forge. They are obtainable only from the tellers inside the bank.

If they are fake, then the man is an idiot to try and change them at any recognised exchange facility.

Sorry to say that this is the biggest BS I have heard in a while! The normal limit is deermined by your card but £300 is the standard for bank cards. And they give out 20's all the time mixed with 10's from time to time. EG take 250 and you are likely to get 10 20's and 5 10's

Get your info straight instead of just dishing out non info :)

Sorry to say that this is the biggest BS I have heard in a while! The normal limit is deermined by your card but £300 is the standard for bank cards. And they give out 20's all the time mixed with 10's from time to time. EG take 250 and you are likely to get 10 20's and 5 10's

This is correct, any ATM's I use give you as many 20's as possible and only really issue 10 pound notes if they need to. For example, if I withdraw £250 I will get £240 in £20's and a single £10.

You are right, it doesnt mention an ATM, only "branch" - my mistake - surely the branch in question can verify the claim, do the banks in england track serial numbers on bank notes they hand out? i.e. the record that XYZ serials were handed out during a given transaction?

I guess they guy wished he'd bought travellers cheques now :)

It doesn't specify whether it was an ATM or not. Not sure how it works in England, but I'd be surprised if it was possible to withdraw 1,500GBP from an ATM.

btw; how do you make the "stylized L", "LB" symbol on your keyboard?

I will give you 400 pound, you give me 60,000 Baht OK? :) you can keep the other 15,000 Baht as commission. maybe you and JJ should get together.

Pay attention, he tried to change 400 Pounds, he brought 1,500 Pounds with him. Mcinnes had read the post and so he knew that the man had 1,500 Pounds with him. If you had read the post, this fact obviously didn't sink in :D

Either his stories kosher and a British ATM machine can't detect counterfeit ---mmmmmm'

Or..

Or..

What is the matter with you people! So many of you keep on referring to ATMs. Despite being pointed out so many times already, he went into a branch of LloydsTSB and withdrew the money.

Hopefully for the last time - Listen very carefully, I will say this only once (though it has been said soooooooooooo many times by others.

Pay attention now

Put that beer down

Stop doing that thing with your other hand - you know it will make you go blind.

" He withdrew the money from a branch of LloydsTSB"

If you don't understand plain English, that means that he entered a branch of the bank and withdrew the money.

He did NOT withdraw the money from an ATM !

I'm starting to think that this forum needs a vetting procedure for new members to make sure that they have an intelligence level higher than a goat.

Most Banks have a limit of £200.00 per day from ATM machines in the UK. So unless the person in question had a number of accounts it is unlikely that he got the notes by that method

lloyds tsb is £200 per day at the atm

if he says that he withdrew from lloyds tsb they "lloyds tsb" will confirm this easy as to withdraw the amount he says he would have to have ordered the cash the day before and i doubt he would have been given forged bank notes there and his cash will be given back to him but he has already been found guilty here on T.V

it will be all a fuss about nothing

if he is trying it on then he have to face the music with the thai and pay the price

simple

no need for all these asumptions

Pay attention, he tried to change 400 Pounds, he brought 1,500 Pounds with him. Mcinnes had read the post and so he knew that the man had 1,500 Pounds with him. If you had read the post, this fact obviously didn't sink in :D

Or..

Or..

What is the matter with you people! So many of you keep on referring to ATMs. Despite being pointed out so many times already, he went into a branch of LloydsTSB and withdrew the money.

Hopefully for the last time - Listen very carefully, I will say this only once (though it has been said soooooooooooo many times by others.

Pay attention now

Put that beer down

Stop doing that thing with your other hand - you know it will make you go blind.

" He withdrew the money from a branch of LloydsTSB"

If you don't understand plain English, that means that he entered a branch of the bank and withdrew the money.

He did NOT withdraw the money from an ATM !

I'm starting to think that this forum needs a vetting procedure for new members to make sure that they have an intelligence level higher than a goat.

i agree i started a new post a week ago for all the "bull shit" it was stopped by a moderator as he didnt think it was good idea

i think those who choose to be moderators should block silly replies who just dont read and digest the facts in the op

lloyds tsb is £200 per day at the atm

It's not a clear cut as that, I use Lloyds TSB and I can withdraw £500 per day. This is standard on the Premier account, the daily amount varies depending on which type of account you have.