Manhattan's Vs. Bruno's?

tonititan

I'm looking for a steak place for a special occasion dinner. I've looked at the websites and read reviews for both Manhattan's Steakhouse and Bruno's restaurant. Is there anyone who can compare the two? The food at Bruno's looked great, but the decor seemed kind of stuffy. If you had to choose between the two, which would you pick?

I'm looking for a steak place for a special occasion dinner. I've looked at the websites and read reviews for both Manhattan's Steakhouse and Bruno's restaurant. Is there anyone who can compare the two? The food at Bruno's looked great, but the decor seemed kind of stuffy. If you had to choose between the two, which would you pick?

It's a no contest, Mata Hari's...... Bruno's theeeeeeeee, I'd rate it 3 out of 10, if htat, no sh*t

Bruno's is stuffy food not too good, Mata Hari is crap and the owner is rude and obnoxious, Manhattans is 'ok' but they seem to have gone downhill - if you're up for a nice meal and are considering these places - why not try Mantra? It has a great and comprehensive menu, fabulous setting, great service and a real car park ... Which is sorely absent at the other venues!

Bruno's is stuffy food not too good, Mata Hari is crap and the owner is rude and obnoxious, Manhattans is 'ok' but they seem to have gone downhill - if you're up for a nice meal and are considering these places - why not try Mantra? It has a great and comprehensive menu, fabulous setting, great service and a real car park ... Which is sorely absent at the other venues!

You sure you went to Mata Hari?????????

Bruno's is disingenous and pretentious though the waiting staff are attentive and keen. Manhattans is overpriced and souless and the faux New York theme is dated and incongruous.

Mata Hari is everything a top class restaurant should be. Great food. Great service. Great decor and an owner with a great sense of style and humour; something siamsoidog clearly lacks. Noisy Mantra has a bigger car park- where else would a street dog eat?

Bruno's is disingenous and pretentious though the waiting staff are attentive and keen. Manhattans is overpriced and souless and the faux New York theme is dated and incongruous.

Mata Hari is everything a top class restaurant should be. Great food. Great service. Great decor and an owner with a great sense of style and humour; something siamsoidog clearly lacks. Noisy Mantra has a bigger car park- where else would a street dog eat?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On what basis have you decided that I lack class?

Because I have a different opinion to you?

It's clearly you that is lacking in both class and manners when you feel it necessary to insult other board members without any point of reference ...

I could go on but I'm too classy to get drawn into an anonymous squabble with someone of dubious intellect and clearly very limited experience - please don't bother replying, I'm not interested in you or your biased, pusillanimous views :)

My two cents worth, having tried most of the places mentioned:

If you specifically want steak, go to Manhattan's. Nice restaurant, good staff. Don't order the Caesar salad - they don't do this very well. Otherwise, if you don't mind spending some coin you'll have a really good meal here. It is expensive, wine list in particular.

Both Bruno's and Mata Hari have more comprehensive menus, as they are not set out as specializing in steak. If choosing between the two of these, Mata Hari would win out in my book. And contrary to a previous post, the owner is NOT obnoxious, and seems to have quite a good sense of humor, and sets out a good meal to boot.

I don't recommend Mantra if you're looking for a sure thing. While the cocktails and the desserts at Mantra are extremely good, I think the entrees there are hit-and-miss. You might have a good main course, and you might not. Try it another time when its not such a special occasion.

Of course, this is only an opinion, and your mileage may vary. Let us know how it turns out.

lemel, how do I find cafe des amis?

Ulysses, Mata Hari is in the same building as Manhattan's, opposite side.

U

Edited by cochran

My wife and me went to Manhattan's for a meal with friends.For me it was ok thats all nothing to write home about.

But my wife was served fish which was rotten and smelled awful.My wife felt very ill at the smell and spent the rest of our time there waiting for us to finish our meals and leave .The manager did offer to cock her anything she wanted and I would of expected it to be free,but she did feel ill and wanted nothing to eat.

We will never go there again,or tell people to go for a meal there.

I was concened that with the prices that you pay that they have a "chef" and I do use the word in its losest term,who cannot tell the difference between fresh and bad (rotten) food.We were also the only people there so he wasn't rushed,maybe he just couldn't be arsed.

As for Bruno's yes very good steak, but for me it was like sitting under spot lights way to bright and over priced.

Mata Hari is very good been there loads of times.Always great food and very good service.

And the one guy that had a problem with the owner?well thats ashame, you can't please everyone.At least he comes over and welcomes you,more than most places.

My two cents worth, having tried most of the places mentioned:

If you specifically want steak, go to Manhattan's. Nice restaurant, good staff. Don't order the Caesar salad - they don't do this very well. Otherwise, if you don't mind spending some coin you'll have a really good meal here. It is expensive, wine list in particular.

Both Bruno's and Mata Hari have more comprehensive menus, as they are not set out as specializing in steak. If choosing between the two of these, Mata Hari would win out in my book. And contrary to a previous post, the owner is NOT obnoxious, and seems to have quite a good sense of humor, and sets out a good meal to boot.

I don't recommend Mantra if you're looking for a sure thing. While the cocktails and the desserts at Mantra are extremely good, I think the entrees there are hit-and-miss. You might have a good main course, and you might not. Try it another time when its not such a special occasion.

Of course, this is only an opinion, and your mileage may vary. Let us know how it turns out.

lemel, how do I find cafe des amis?

Ulysses, Mata Hari is in the same building as Manhattan's, opposite side.

U

Goole map.. http://maps.google.com/maps?source=s_q&amp...=15&iwloc=A

Thanks for all of the info, everyone. Here's my post-dining update....

I chose Manhattan's, and I am thrilled with my decision. What a fabulous meal, and a fabulous night!! I thought that the decor was great, and I completely disagree with claims that the decor is outdated. We thought that the black & white theme looked beautiful. The big, black leather chairs were so comfortable and great for a long, leisurely meal. As for the food...wow. One of, if not THE best meals we've had in the past year of living in Thailand. I had fish, and unlike a previous poster, it was delicious and not at all rotten. My dining partner had steak, and he said it was the best he's had in Thailand. The sides and appetizers were great, too. The food might not be as "haughty taughty" as at some other places, but it fit our style perfectly. Not a cheap place, but well worth the money for a nice meal.

We also thought that the waiters were excellent - very friendly. And the manager/owner (?) was also friendly, too, stopping by to say hello and asking how everything was at the end of our meal. We were celebrating a birthday, and the waiters surprised my friend with a personalized dessert (with his name on it) and a round of "Happy Birthday." We couldn't have asked for anything better. On top of everything, the free shuttle (a fancy van) to/from our hotel was a great added bonus.

Bottom line - we LOVED Manhattan's, and we plan to recommend it to all our friends, and definitely go back when we're in Pattaya again.

Thanks for all of the info, everyone. Here's my post-dining update....

I chose Manhattan's, and I am thrilled with my decision. What a fabulous meal, and a fabulous night!! I thought that the decor was great, and I completely disagree with claims that the decor is outdated. We thought that the black & white theme looked beautiful. The big, black leather chairs were so comfortable and great for a long, leisurely meal. As for the food...wow. One of, if not THE best meals we've had in the past year of living in Thailand. I had fish, and unlike a previous poster, it was delicious and not at all rotten. My dining partner had steak, and he said it was the best he's had in Thailand. The sides and appetizers were great, too. The food might not be as "haughty taughty" as at some other places, but it fit our style perfectly. Not a cheap place, but well worth the money for a nice meal.

We also thought that the waiters were excellent - very friendly. And the manager/owner (?) was also friendly, too, stopping by to say hello and asking how everything was at the end of our meal. We were celebrating a birthday, and the waiters surprised my friend with a personalized dessert (with his name on it) and a round of "Happy Birthday." We couldn't have asked for anything better. On top of everything, the free shuttle (a fancy van) to/from our hotel was a great added bonus.

Bottom line - we LOVED Manhattan's, and we plan to recommend it to all our friends, and definitely go back when we're in Pattaya again.

Totally agree, took my parents there a few months ago. They both loved the place and said if id taken them there on the first night they wouldnt have eaten anywhere else in the evening. I have been there myself about 6 times now and personally think it has got even better everytime. They seem to be getting busier everytime also, so they must be doing something right :)

If memory serves, you'll get some change from 6k, but not a whole lot. It also depends on the wine you choose, as this was probably 35 - 45% of the bill. There's a detailed write up early in the "Recent Dining Experiences - Reviews" thread from my visit there.

]

Sorry Cochran I did not see your request, If you come up Thrappayaa hill go past mata hari on your right go about 150 yards and turn right down soi 11 or 12 to the ottom and you will see it opposite on the left or the right. great place great food ask for Blue the owner!

• 1 month later...

I've just arrived home from eating at Cafe Des Amis with the wife etc and my parents, all courses from starter through to main were superb, couldn't fault it. Even my 17 year old Thai step daughter finished all of hers, not bad considering she normally lives on mama noodles and isn't used to western food like this.

Highly recommended and the owner is also a nice guy, have to say its conquered Mata Hari and Bruno's food wise IMO (although they are also very good).

Going Manhattens also this week which I'm looking forward to.

:)

Edited by davethailand

Cafe Des Amis for me every time, four people three different courses each and all agreed superb. Manhattans overpriced for what was a mediocre piece of steak. I have to agree that the owner of Mata Hari is a stuck up self opinionated ****, when I am out for a meal the only time I wish to see the owner/manager is for the 10seconds it takes him to ask how my meal is.

Edited by RabC

manhattens was a bit overated for me...was on my own there twice ..only me and my wife 7pm..........too expensive also.......nice place tho very clean atc...but when there is more waiters than customers ..not a good sign............i wont be back again ............