Sukhumvit Continues To Change - Soi 22 Now

kuma

So now Flyers at the top of Soi 22 is done, as is the Volvo dealership beside it. This is on top of the continuing gutting out of Washington square - my barber closed own as have a number of other businesses there.

Does anyone know what is to be built on the huge area that extends from the corner where Flyers and the empty lot behind it down the Soi plus all of Washington Square - it is a huge parcel of land.

Speaking of land and property does anyone know what will become of the Crowne Plaza and Sofitel on Sukhumvit?

So now Flyers at the top of Soi 22 is done, as is the Volvo dealership beside it. This is on top of the continuing gutting out of Washington square - my barber closed own as have a number of other businesses there.

Does anyone know what is to be built on the huge area that extends from the corner where Flyers and the empty lot behind it down the Soi plus all of Washington Square - it is a huge parcel of land.

Speaking of land and property does anyone know what will become of the Crowne Plaza and Sofitel on Sukhumvit?

seem to recall someone saying something unique was to be built there - a hotel / condo mixed use. :)

seem to recall someone saying something unique was to be built there - a hotel / condo mixed use. :)

One of the two Langham Hotels planned for 2012:

"...The Langham, Sukhumvit, Bangkok will enjoy prime position in the city’s central commercial district on Sukhumvit Road and offer a luxury heritage that benefits one of Bangkok’s most prestigious addresses. Built in the tradition of Europe’s first grand hotel, the property will feature 230 spacious guestrooms and suites as well as 80 Langham Residences. Complementing the luxury accommodation will be a complete array of services and facilities that embody the elegance and timeless spirit of The Langham. These will include the sister of The Langham Hong Kong’s two Michelin Star Cantonese restaurant – T’ang Court, a second fine-dining restaurant, the Traditional Chinese Medicine-inspired Chuan Spa, swimming pool and fitness centre, as well as a grand ballroom and extensive meeting facilities designed to create a Bangkok’s most luxurious hotel..."

Source: Hotel News Now

Well I hope condo's are part of the deal as well - in addition to some low cost rentals/housing as all the locals are getting mined out of here as all that seems to go up is 5* hotels and serviced apartments

One of the two Langham Hotels planned for 2012:

"...The Langham, Sukhumvit, Bangkok will enjoy prime position in the city’s central commercial district on Sukhumvit Road and offer a luxury heritage that benefits one of Bangkok’s most prestigious addresses. Built in the tradition of Europe’s first grand hotel, the property will feature 230 spacious guestrooms and suites as well as 80 Langham Residences. Complementing the luxury accommodation will be a complete array of services and facilities that embody the elegance and timeless spirit of The Langham. These will include the sister of The Langham Hong Kong’s two Michelin Star Cantonese restaurant – T’ang Court, a second fine-dining restaurant, the Traditional Chinese Medicine-inspired Chuan Spa, swimming pool and fitness centre, as well as a grand ballroom and extensive meeting facilities designed to create a Bangkok’s most luxurious hotel..."

Source: Hotel News Now

Recently had a couple of disasterous days at The Admiral Suites (booked in error thanks to a Wotif screw-up/scam) and got the very firm impression there was ZERO money being spent on much needed maintainance and looking at the piece of cleared land to the rear I guess another high rise planned for that plot.

It seems all the development there is (lighthouse at sai nam thip 2; new hotel going up by the beer bars) is all on that side of the street.

I have also heard the city is planning to add another lane to widen the street and that they are going to expropriate land from the frontage of shops on the flyers side of 22, given that it is the least developed side, now it is empty all the way down to the entrance to Washington square and no real new developments or important ones (exception is Queens park, which is already well set back) are on that side

Recently had a couple of disasterous days at The Admiral Suites (booked in error thanks to a Wotif screw-up/scam) and got the very firm impression there was ZERO money being spent on much needed maintainance and looking at the piece of cleared land to the rear I guess another high rise planned for that plot.

That use to be my favorite place to stay in Bangkok until my last visit in Jul 09. What you said is dead on, Even the TV reception was bad. They lost me as a customer.

That use to be my favorite place to stay in Bangkok until my last visit in Jul 09. What you said is dead on, Even the TV reception was bad. They lost me as a customer.

Likewise on the TV but we had failed air-con in 2 consecutive rooms, they would just come up and bang it...stick ice cubes in it! Arrived back at 1am, broke again , sweltering night they wouldn't change room again"so sorry sir change tomollow", had to go out for an early meeting & pleaded with them to get it fixed so we could shower before check-out, of course it didn,t happen and it was like packing your suitcase in a Turkish bath. Awful place, escaped to the sanctuary of The Bedrooms on On Nut for a much needed respite.

All in favour of the demolition of The Admiral Suites....preferably with the moneygrabbing ***hole owners still inside :)

Likewise on the TV but we had failed air-con in 2 consecutive rooms, they would just come up and bang it...stick ice cubes in it! Arrived back at 1am, broke again , sweltering night they wouldn't change room again"so sorry sir change tomollow", had to go out for an early meeting & pleaded with them to get it fixed so we could shower before check-out, of course it didn,t happen and it was like packing your suitcase in a Turkish bath. Awful place, escaped to the sanctuary of The Bedrooms on On Nut for a much needed respite.

All in favour of the demolition of The Admiral Suites....preferably with the moneygrabbing ***hole owners still inside :)

I have and do stay at the Admiral Suites, my most recent stay being last week, and I have had no problems at all. A/C has been fine (and I keep the room quite cool, so the compressor is working fairly hard), rooms well cleaned, staff is polite and helpful, etc. The only two things that may bother me a little bit are the small amount of English channels available and sometimes during the day the construction noise can get a little loud, but it is no big deal. Experiences vary, so I am not discounting yours at all, just thought to be fair and express my positive experience(s) at the Admiral Suites.

NEWS FLASH

The Langham is in fact planned for that nice old building on Sukhuvit Soi 6. Yes I know, we will all be sad to see that beautiful landmark go but that is progress.

my understanding was that its way to expensive to remove these half finished ghost buildings and that the option is to actually finish them with the existing infrastructure. is that what is happening here?

Edited by dondraper

NEWS FLASH

The Langham is in fact planned for that nice old building on Sukhuvit Soi 6. Yes I know, we will all be sad to see that beautiful landmark go but that is progress.

my understanding was that its way to expensive to remove these half finished ghost buildings and that the option is to actually finish them with the existing infrastructure. is that what is happening here?

don't know the specifics about this one Don, but if you saw the state of it up close, you wouldn't need to be an engineer to say that there is no way in he_ll that it is salvageable. Perhaps the pilings.

anyways, I believe (could be wrong) that a bank owned this land and the responsibility to deal with the mess would be with the new owners (subject to negotiation of course.

NEWS FLASH

It will be good to see that part cleaned up, because it really is an eyesore. Talking about Ghost bulidings the one on Pahonyothin Road has to be one of the biggest ghost buildings that I have seen.

NEWS FLASH

It will be good to see that part cleaned up, because it really is an eyesore. Talking about Ghost bulidings the one on Pahonyothin Road has to be one of the biggest ghost buildings that I have seen.

I agree, at least they could have put up those blue coverings like the one on Suk 13 to make it seem like it may actually ever get completed.

NEWS FLASH

I agree, at least they could have put up those blue coverings like the one on Suk 13 to make it seem like it may actually ever get completed.

Bkkjames, we got an official whisper fro mgmnt at trendy and an actual sighting yesterday of 2 engineers/ developer big shots walking through the gates at the regent. The first time the gates have been opened in months.....

Anyone care to estimate the cost of mothballing The Regent? its not dust cloth but a heavier material designed to keep the eliminates OUT. I always said no way anyone would spend a huge sum if the project was dead. At a wild uneducated guess, considering the cranes , workers and the material itself, maybe a few hundred grand????

I have and do stay at the Admiral Suites, my most recent stay being last week, and I have had no problems at all. A/C has been fine (and I keep the room quite cool, so the compressor is working fairly hard), rooms well cleaned, staff is polite and helpful, etc. The only two things that may bother me a little bit are the small amount of English channels available and sometimes during the day the construction noise can get a little loud, but it is no big deal. Experiences vary, so I am not discounting yours at all, just thought to be fair and express my positive experience(s) at the Admiral Suites.

Accepted. Place is kept very clean and to be honest TV doesn,t really bother me. However I also think its looking really dated but more relevant to this thread is that its pretty obvious that the deep maintainance required is not being done and I'm not the only one with that opinion either on this site or others like Trip Advisor, that to me suggests there is something in the offing for this stretch of Soi 22.

I had the same problem with the AC in both rooms, I turned out that the circuit breaker keep popping. found the breakers in cabinet above the fefrigerator and when it happened agian I just reset it and didn't bother to complain. My room was 306.