Trip From Pattaya-kanchanaburi

tomahawk

I am coming to visit pattaya for a few days and would also like to visit Kanchanaburi. Do you think it would be better to take trek or tour from Pattaya company or better to take bus, minivan or train? Thank you for any assistance.

Absolutely take a tour. It is cost effective and very well organised.

Just book it at a reputable travel agent in central Pattaya and they will pick you up from your hotel, early morning.

My first ever trip to Thailand, I took a tour from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, we set off at 5am, Central Bangkok, and returned at 9pm in the Evening. The Bus had the Air con on full, we were frozen, and the driver was snug and warm in his little cab at the front - grinning.

I am glad I went to Kanchanaburi, it was very nice, but the long time it took us to get there was ridiculous. We were exhausted when we got back to the Hotel, maybe we should have stayed a night or two.

Good luck and enjoy. If you get a Tour Bus, take a warm Jumper with you.

My first ever trip to Thailand, I took a tour from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, we set off at 5am, Central Bangkok, and returned at 9pm in the Evening. The Bus had the Air con on full, we were frozen, and the driver was snug and warm in his little cab at the front - grinning.

I am glad I went to Kanchanaburi, it was very nice, but the long time it took us to get there was ridiculous. We were exhausted when we got back to the Hotel, maybe we should have stayed a night or two.

It is a long day for a day trip from Pattaya or Bangkok. I went on a three day/two night trip for two for 5,800 baht inclusive of meals, accommodation and transportation and entry fees and rail ticket etc.

It is a long day for a day trip from Pattaya or Bangkok. I went on a three day/two night trip for two for 5,800 baht inclusive of meals, accommodation and transportation and entry fees and rail ticket etc.

Did that 3 day/2 night trip a few years ago and it was excellent. Great value for money, stopped at the floating market near Bangkok on the way, good buffet meals at the overnight hotel, a rail trip, museum visit and a number trips along the Mekong in long tail boats all included in the price.

Yes its a lovely place to visit. The War Cemetery and the Death Railway are a must.. Fond memories, i must go back one day !!!!!!

I never walked completely over the Bridge, does anyone know what is at the other side ?? is the other side Burma ??? or is there a Border Crossing further on?

Did that 3 day/2 night trip a few years ago and it was excellent. Great value for money, stopped at the floating market near Bangkok on the way, good buffet meals at the overnight hotel, a rail trip, museum visit and a number trips along the Mekong in long tail boats all included in the price.

I'm pretty sure the Mekong flows along the border between Thailand and Laos (North and Eastern Thailand).

I think there's a couple of rivers in the Kanchanaburi area - I'm guessing one of them is the River Kwai (as in Bridge over the....) but I could be wrong.

Edited by chickenslegs

I'm pretty sure the Mekong flows along the border between Thailand and Laos (North and Eastern Thailand).

I think there's a couple of rivers in the Kanchanaburi area - I'm guessing one of them is the River Kwai (as in Bridge over the....) but I could be wrong.

Yes you're right it sure ain't the Mekong........I realised my error a short while after posting but the edit option had already disappeared!! Sorry :)

I went in 2002 on a day trip, on the way there we went to a floating market, a wood carving factory and a typical Thai village so we did not get long enough to walk round the cemetery and museum. It was very sad and you see graves of 18 year old boys and 50 year old men who were worked to death in that heat with no medical treatment, dirty drinking water, brutal treatment and starvation rations. It reminded me of the hatred that we had for the Japs when I grew up in London after the war and the horrors of what those POWs went through was made known to the public. Around 30% of all allied POWs captured by the Japs died in captivity.

I think every holiday maker should make a pilgrimage to pay their respects to these poor blokes who were sent to the Far East 70 years ago and never came home. It is a sobering experience to walk around that cemetery and try to imagine how they suffered under such conditions, so completely different to the ones we experience in the bars and hotels of Pattaya. I'd advise you to do do the 2 or 3 day trip as you'll be able to see it all at your leisure. It's a bit grim and solemn but it's an experience you'll never forget and you won't regret it.

I remember when I first bought a VCR in about 1979 and it had 'Made in Japan' on it. My mother was horrified to see that I had purchased it knowing that it was Japanese and I had to explain that it was only the Japs who made them. She retorted that I should "Go without one then" such was her abhorrence of the Japanese and anything to do with Japan. It surprised me as years went on and the Japanese people that I met were such pleasant, polite and apparently gentle folk.

Edited by yogi100

Thanks everyone. I agree it sounds that I would have to spend more than 1 day there for it to be worth trip from Pattaya. people I talk to say don't stay in raft house. Have any of you guys or ladies stayed in them? Bridge on the River Kwai was one of my favorite movies and also I loved the book. The book is actually more factual. A very terrible ordeal for those poor guys to be sure. I think it would be nice to go there during the ceremony in December but I read in guidebook it is very crowded then.

My Thai Partner says the River that runs under the Famous bridge is The River Kwai.

Ohh I want to go back now we have all been talking about it.