Hardware Firewall

Uncle_Ho

Can anyone recommend me a hardware firewall to buy ... I went to pantip plaza today i was not sure about it ..

I have 4 computers .. someone recommended to "Linksys BEFSR41" ..

I am constantly being targeted by HACKERS .. i use Zone Alarm .. but i get 3000 attacks being block by zone alarm a day .. most of it from TRUE ips ( amazing ) ...

i have very valuable data and i have decided to buy hardware firewall .. and also to link all those 4 coomputer and share the true ADSL connection

PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE

You could get yourself some kind of router with a built in ADSL modem, which will act as a gateway/firewall to your LAN.

I'm fairly happy with my SMC Barricade G router (its a 4-port model, but you may not need the WIFI). I've tested it on a few 'stealth testing' sites and it has come through very well.

Dk- you are correct! Definitely not home use - purchased one of the higher end models for work. :o However symantec does have a base model that could be used for home.

Well the watchguard soho retails around 250 $ US so it's not to bad :D

i have my self a watchguard III at home :D, for my biz though :D

.....I am constantly being targeted by HACKERS .. i use Zone Alarm .. but i get 3000 attacks being block by zone alarm a day .. most of it from TRUE ips ( amazing ) ...

What your probably seeing are not actual attacks, but rather what is commonly referred to as network control messages or internet background noise, similar to the static one hears occassionally while listening to the radio.

If you have not already done so, ZoneAlarm allows you to "turn-off" the pop-up notification window and the logging of these "hits" on your system. (You can still review and track them later, utilizing ZoneAlarm's "More Info" button in the "Alert" window.) While a firmware firewall/router is generally better than a software only firewall, you may also wish to consider using both, for added protection.

To test your firewall(s), suggest you visit Steve Gibson's website (here) and run the ShieldsUp and LeakTest programs.

.....i have very valuable data and i have decided to buy hardware firewall ...

Remember, no computer connected to the internet, regardless of hard or soft protection devices, is 100% safe from attack. If your data is as important and sensative as you indicated, I would suggest you back it up to CD, DVD or Tape, remove said data from the computer, and only when off-line utilize the backups to do whatever work is needed.

cheers

:o

Linksys BEFSR41 is a good choice. Dlink 604 models are also pretty easy to setup, and they're my preference for home networks, although you get a manual with a lynksys whereas the Dlink has online documentaion only (big issue if you are new to them).

Don't go wireless unless you know what you're doing, they are a pain to troubleshoot.

Remember when setting it up to change the default admin password, as many people don't and most hackers know them.

cv

it's not what firewall you buy/purchase/use - it's how and where to use it.

basics of comp security will guide you through steps, look at proper manuals.

Raptors are from symentics, watchguards - from another company, right DN?

get one Raptor for SME - you won't regret.

and disconnect comp with valuable data from Inet.

hi'

the link given above(quoted by mod), is a Linux distro, as a firewall system, esaily configurable(with browser) and very reliable, can do every network configuration even with mail server and ftp server, useless for less than 2 different types of connections, (ie) ethernet and wifi + vpn ...

not fot single user, it's well known in Linux world since long, now in version1.42, the download give you an iso image.

anyway, useless for small network as it had been asked :o

francois

ps: might be the one of the best firewall system :D [imho]

and just need an "old" machine to make it run ...

useless for small network as it had been asked

Francois was the above a typo ? I hope it was or poeple here might get the idea that IPCop is useless.

I have been using IPCop since it branched from Smoothwall, and although my Linux skills are useless, Ipcop has certainly been very usefull for me.

The best things about it are that it takes an old pentium low spec computer and turns it into a firewall/router internet gateway,DNS server,Web proxy/cache, NTP time server etc very easyly. (use new hispec hardware if you want)

If you run into problems there are many support groups that offer quick and free support. If you don't like something about the way IPCop works you can change it. There are many addons that enhance it's features. http://firewalladdons.sourceforge.net/index.html (hope the mod is ok with that :o )

guys, the question was about hardware firewall to buy, means appliance. nobody ask about Linux based gateway solution on used pent. comp.

straight question - share your experience about the device you used. and if you didn't - sorry, go to next subj.

anybody used Raptors, please ? how about tech support etc... would be happy to hear

cheers

[
.....i have very valuable data and i have decided to buy hardware firewall ...

Remember, no computer connected to the internet, regardless of hard or soft protection devices, is 100% safe from attack. If your data is as important and sensative as you indicated, I would suggest you back it up to CD, DVD or Tape, remove said data from the computer, and only when off-line utilize the backups to do whatever work is needed.

cheers

:o

If your data is valuable and/or you could be laible in court if someone manages to misuse it - learn about encryption - nothing connected to the outside world is 100% safe.

Crushdepth - I had a quick look at the configuration menu of a smc barricade and could not find where to turn of broadcasting the SSID , is it possible via the html configuration menu?

guys, the question was about hardware firewall to buy, means appliance. nobody ask about Linux based gateway solution on used pent. comp.

straight question - share your experience about the device you used. and if you didn't - sorry, go to next subj.

anybody used Raptors, please ? how about tech support etc... would be happy to hear

cheers

Raptors are excellent and support from Symantec is great! I highly recommend them especially with a business solution in mind. As DK stated earlier these are more for business than home use - can be quite pricey!

cheers

Raptors are excellent and support from Symantec is great! I highly recommend them especially with a business solution in mind. As DK stated earlier these are more for business than home use - can be quite pricey!

What you mean pricey britt :D

650.000 bath for a checkpoint firewall without implementation consulting.

which easely takes it up to 850.000 at european consultancy prices.

You Don't think that much do you britt :D:o

Dk- :o Well low end model is around 40000THB w/out support.

No nokia box then :D, pantip PC :D

No, DK - I've seen somethging about 1000$ on the market. 3 or 4 Ethernet outlets, console port, 1U case.

bloody easy to config, auto update through internet, web and telnet config, restart-reboot in few seconds, filtering by ip, protocols, MACs, ports and pretty powerfull for small to medium LANs.

didn't have a chance to play with, though... customer was too smart, they did everything themselves.

about self made boxes on Linux... well, could be nice, but why to spend time on something that could be bought in the box and takes only 1-2 hr to config?

and there's another story about Sing company tried to sell industrial firewalls here... if wanna know.

Crushdepth - I had a quick look at the configuration menu of a smc barricade and could not find where to turn of broadcasting the SSID , is it possible via the html configuration menu?

I have an SMC Barricade as well - and I have turned off the broadcast of SSID, so the answer is yes...

It's on the HTML screen for the Wireless configuration - ESSID broadcast - Radio buttons for enable and disable. Disable to stop broadcasting, obviously...