Wifes Passport Soon To Expire

My wife and i are now living in Ireland,she holds Thai passport,she has a visa to stay in Ireland until June 2010 when her Thai passport expires - June 2010.Were travelling to Thailand in sept 09, returning Oct 2009,whats the story on getting a new passport can this be done by post from Ireland ? should we renew her passport while we are in Thailand next month. Any advice on how to go about this i thank you in advance, a little lost on what to do. thanks

My wife and i are now living in Ireland,she holds Thai passport,she has a visa to stay in Ireland until June 2010 when her Thai passport expires - June 2010.Were travelling to Thailand in sept 09, returning Oct 2009,whats the story on getting a new passport can this be done by post from Ireland ? should we renew her passport while we are in Thailand next month. Any advice on how to go about this i thank you in advance, a little lost on what to do. thanks

Unless you have an embassy in Ireland, why wait. Get it in Thailand. If no name changes, takes little time.

I think you would have to use London. Have a look at this Link

Would suggest renewing passport in Thailand. You will then need to get your wife's Irish visa details transferred to the new passport.

I don't know the situation in Ireland but I'm sure i've seen on this forum that in the UK you can travel with a new passport and the old one with the visa with no need to transfer. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Would suggest renewing passport in Thailand. You will then need to get your wife's Irish visa details transferred to the new passport.

That is the best way to go. It is a 3 day turn around in Bangkok and a good number of weeks if it is done in London. No chance in Ireland at all.

Contact the Embassy in London. Your wife probably needs to be on someones household book if she wants to get a new passport in Thailand. There is no such requirement when applying at an embassy, but she will need her birth certificate.

I don't know the situation in Ireland but I'm sure i've seen on this forum that in the UK you can travel with a new passport and the old one with the visa with no need to transfer. Maybe someone can confirm this?

This point needs to be checked carefully with the Irish Authorities. I suggest it's a little dangerous to assume the same rule applies to all passports on this subject.

- I have PR for Thailand, the last time I renewed my foreign passport I took it to the Soi Suan Plu office to have the PR endorsement transferred from old to new passport. They said, "no need to do that anymore". This means I always have to carry new and old passport but it saved me about 3,500Baht which I had paid on previous occasions to get the stamps transferred from old to new passport.

- My son had a student visa for Singapore in his Thai passport, he renewed his Thai passport, we called the Singapore embassy here in Bkk and they said just show the old passport (for the stamps). On next arrival in Sinagpore the immigration people were very polite but indicated that the student visa had to be transferred promptly to the new passport. In fact they made an appointment for my son to visit a city immigration office (in Singapore) the next day and it was all completed within 5 minutes, no fee, no hassle.

Just to add a point:

If your wife obtains a new PP in the home country the authorities do not return the old PP as a rule unless asked! This is only done at an embassy outside the home country.

Also make sure they do not stamp the main page and the page having the Irish visa as VOID!

After your wife gets the new PP it may be a good idea to visit the Irish embassy/consulate in BKK to check with them if they can transfer the visa or how to proceed.

opalhort

Believe Thailand returns passport without asking as wife has always had it returned.

Could well be, but three years ago my wife got a new PP and the old one was not returned, but since it did not contain any unused or active foreign visas this was not an issue.

I'm sure it can't hurt to point out that the old PP is still required by the holder.

opalhort