Dog Owning Experience In Chiang Mai

steven.jpg

I am moving to Chiang Mai in late September, early October for 6-12 months and would really like to have my dog with me there. I posted in the sticky about transport/exportation so that's not my concern for this thread.

I would like to hear about the general feasibility of having a dog in Chiang Mai after we're there. I have found what looks to be a good place for boarding when I'm out of town (Lucky Dogs), but I'm more concerned with day to day issues.

1) Will I have problems getting a hotel/bed & breakfast place to stay initially? I read about lots of problems in BKK with dogs, but didn't see much about Chiang Mai.

2) Will I have problems renting a house with a dog? Also, is this something to state up front while looking or more of a don't ask, don't tell thing?

3) Is there anything I need to know about the general disposition of locals, especially in Chiang Mai, towards dogs? i.e., will I have problems having work done on house, maid service, etc if they either know I have a dog or encounter her while they are at my house.

4) Any other general information: dog friendly activities away from home? dogs allowed at most places/not allowed? etc

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steven

I expect you'll receive many opinions, these are mine.

I'm a dog breeder (kennel) and had dogs in Chiang Mai for 15 years.

Lucky Dogs is definitely a recommended boarding kennel.

Hotels and guest houses won't normally allow a large dog with guests, but you will just have to enquire.

Renting a house with a dog should be no problem and you should definitely declare your intention up front. Occasionally a landlord may not allow it. Be aware that if your dog causes damage to the property or furnishings, you'll be liable.

Local people have mixed feelings about dogs. Many are afraid of them for good reason - because they've been bitten in the past. In villages and even some housing estates it is common to see packs of dogs - most owned, some strays - wandering around freely. Some of these dogs (and at certain times of the year when bitches are in season) are territorial and aggressive and may fight each other and attack passers by.

When you employ maids you will definitely find that some will refuse to work with a dog in the home. Most will be OK and some will love it.

When you employ part tme service staff, be sure to lock your dog in a cage while they are on the premises, for their peace of mind.

You can take your dog to many parks and public places, but on a leash always recommended.

I'd say the #1 issue about owning a dog here is this: keep it on your property and make sure that your garden/yard has a secure perimetre wall or fence to keep your dog in and other dogs out. This is for two reasons:

1. To make sure you don't add to the problem of dogs roaming free all over the place and causing problems for other dogs, people and drivers.

2. For the sake of the dog, to ensue that it is safe. Expensive looking dogs have been known to be stolen. Dogs that cause a nuisance are often killed (usually poisoned). That could be by a neighbour deliberately, or 'by mistake' by hotels that put down poison on their premises to keep away strays (for example the Four Seasons Hotel in Maerim) because they have cases of dogs biting guests.

Hope that helps.

Steven,

We moved with our dogs from California to Chiang Mai in Nov last year, so some of our experiences might still be useful or relevant.

It was quite hard for us to find a hotel (over the web) that will take dogs. We only found the ComeOn Place. It was nice in that it is in the moat and is very convenient. What was not nice was that with dogs, you are restricted to the Garden Wing which are the old rooms. I didn't like the room at all, but the people are nice and they are fine with letting the dogs stay in the room (not in the kennel) with the AC on.

Renting a house is no problem. The landlord will usually ask for a larger deposit, but most are willing as they usually do not have very nice furniture or fittings ... ha.

You will find that the locals are very nice to dogs, even to the strays. Nevertheless, I find that they have an unfounded fear about bigger sized dogs or black dogs like the dobermans. Mostly, the bigger dogs are for "guarding" a property and they do not discipline them when they bark all day and night, hence the fear.

Dogs are not allowed in public parks which is a shame - soi dogs are allowed though! There are other places that I have found to take our dogs to, so it's not too bad. In all my search, I have only found the Palm Springs Place community that has nice and decent stretches of grass for the dogs to play in. Wished there were more communities like that, so that might be something for you to think about.

Matt

Renting a house is no problem. The landlord will usually ask for a larger deposit, but most are willing as they usually do not have very nice furniture or fittings ... ha.

Unfortunately a couple of the places I'm looking like have nice furniture. :) Is there a good way to find out in advance? I haven't found emailing CM businesses to be very helpful so far. On the other hand, I don't want to sign up for something in advance as that seems like a good way for an ignorant newbie to get screwed. I'd rather come and camp out in a hotel until I find the right place.

"soi dogs"... those are strays?

As far as my dog, she is the least intimidating/annoying dog ever. She hides behind my legs if someone new walks up, and only barks if they try to walk up to her. The only time she barks at the house is when someone knocks or the doorbell rings. There are three or four dogs on adjoining properties here that bark every time she goes outside and she runs/walks around like they don't exist even if I leave her out in the back yard for an hour or two by herself.

I checked out ComeOn Place before after seeing it in another thread. The new rooms looked good! I guess I'll have to make do with the old ones though. I emailed a few other places asking about dogs but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Edited by hookemlaw

Steven,

Dogs are not allowed in public parks which is a shame - soi dogs are allowed though! There are other places that I have found to take our dogs to, so it's not too bad. In all my search, I have only found the Palm Springs Place community that has nice and decent stretches of grass for the dogs to play in. Wished there were more communities like that, so that might be something for you to think about.

Matt

There are numerous very big parks that you can take dogs to in Chiang Mai. The only places you definitely won't be able to take them to are conservation areas like national parks - of course.

Just as a few examples of big parks that you can take dogs to in Chiang Mai, try Huay Tung Tao on the canal road, Rama IX Park near City Hall, Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens in Maerim, etc, etc.

I lived in Chiangmai for 15 years, and always had dogs. I lived near the University, and walked them to the Fitness Park next to the Zoo, where they could run free, and often met other dogs doing the same. I had an Alsatian for much of this time, and a Bangkaew for four years. The only dog I would not let off the lead in the park was the Bangkaew which was, as seems to be their way, unwilling to obey orders and liable to chase joggers. The other dogs caused no problems at all, and I never had any complaints. I often walked them in the University grounds too, but kept them on the lead in most places there... out of courtesy!

I had my own house, so there was no problem there.

We own a Thai dog (mongrel), she's wonderful. Our landlord laughed when we asked if we could have a dog at this house. Guess it's ok. She's an outside dog though.

We walk her at the Fitness Park on Hueay Kaew Road, she's come with us to a few waterfalls and no one has seemed to mind. In our neighbourhood dogs aren't allowed to run the streets so she has to be on a lead there, sometimes we go out at night so no one can see us running her without a lead....

Hope all goes well for you....