Thailand Issues Urgent AIDS Warning

george

Two weeks ago I saw on tv a case of a 2 years old child infected with the virus through blood transfusion in a hospital. The hospital admitted the fact and promise to provide treatment until the day she dies. The hospital has no insurance and as someone representing that hospital it seems that sometimes they don't test the blood for virus because there are no donors and a big shortage of blood. In resume, how does the government aprove the functionality of an hospital with this kind of administration who allow this kind of situations? As for the patient's family they go home happy knowing that they will lose child?. The family seemed to be low edcated people but after being shown on tv shouldn't the authoritues take immediate action? well just a comment but this kind of situation can happen to anyone in Thailand.

:)Any hospital that transfuses unscreened blood, should be shut down now. What is the government doing, allowing this!

Let us never forget that a previous French government knowingly, I repeat knowingly, gave HIV tainted blood to patients. The facy is that AIDS is not a big problem in the West, and of course big Pharma could care less. Let's make money on flu!!!, even though millions die of "normal" flu every year. To die of AIDS means that you die of one of 26 listed diseases and your blood if HIV positive. If you die of one of these diseases, without HIV positive blood, you die of the disease. With proper medication, there is no reason why someone cannot live a normal life being HIV positive. In a previous life, I did wear 2 condoms and it was fantastic! I never missed a good sleep and now have a healthy family of my own.

• 2 weeks later...
The question I have is - What are the government doing about it?

500,000 infected and only 46,700 get help from the government. Obviously the government should do more.

The BIGGER question is,what are you and me and others doing about it.I am dismayed when i read of posters coming on this,and other boards boasting about their conquests of bare backing in Thailand,and even more frightening,their conquests with katoys.

How anybody can not wear a condom with the ladyies of the night is totaly beyond me,as many have thai bf and some have bar boy, boy friends too,who go with guys.The only way to reduce aids/hiv is to wrap it and not rely on the government to take care of you when its too late.

Two weeks ago I saw on tv a case of a 2 years old child infected with the virus through blood transfusion in a hospital. The hospital admitted the fact and promise to provide treatment until the day she dies. The hospital has no insurance and as someone representing that hospital it seems that sometimes they don't test the blood for virus because there are no donors and a big shortage of blood. In resume, how does the government aprove the functionality of an hospital with this kind of administration who allow this kind of situations? As for the patient's family they go home happy knowing that they will lose child?. The family seemed to be low edcated people but after being shown on tv shouldn't the authoritues take immediate action? well just a comment but this kind of situation can happen to anyone in Thailand.

If that is true, I wish that the international and local press get hold of the story and run with it to the hills. This is tantamount to murder and if the screening processes are not in place to insure the safety of donated blood this issue needs to be solved ASAP.

Nonsensical posts about a toxin and the replies to them have been deleted. If you wish your posts to remain available for others to read, please do not include such nonsensical post in your reply.

--

Maestro

As always these reports needs to be clarified! What exactly is 'risky behaviour'? Needle sharing? Lots of (female) prosititues? Katoeys? Gay sex?

This is alike to the misconception in the West were the majority of funds are aimed at heterosexual college kids who make up close to zero percent of new cases. Ditch the PC crap and focus where it matters. I can't believe that HIV isn't eradicated yet in first world countries. Sometimes I think there's not a real interest?

E.D.U.C.A.T.I.O.N = keyword

Thai people are very well educated about the use of condoms to prevent HIV/Aids yet they choose other wise.

Its the same in African nations they are educated but decide not to, your argument is leftwing propoganda that poor ol 3rd world person is stupid and needs rescuing by silver spoon fed, super educated western liberals.

Peer education. That might not get up Light's nose. Most successful campaigns will come from the community supported by the Government and media.

Free condoms could help. Any % for the IV community?

"If its not on its not on". This is also a terrible disease to watch someone go thru, not only for the person but the whole family.

500,000 infected and only 46,700 get help from the government. Obviously the government should do more.

Easy question to answer. The Thai government is doing the same for AIDS sufferers and AIDS prevention as it does for everything else except fr posturing and using their power for self-aggrandisement and pursuing personal vendettas.

Nothing.

Dealing with Thais is dealing with children and it is unlikely to change for as long as they profit from it.

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson

Thailand has really lost its way on this. There was once a time when the country was a model for HIV education and programs to combat the spread of the disease.

Yes...they actually had great success in reducing the spread of this infection. Looks like they have lost control ....again.

The old Thai adage and attitude from the "authorities" applies here.....up to you.

If you want boom boom, you take risk.

Live with result.

No problem.

We not take care you.

This is a global problem and as such Thailand is no different to many countries. It boils down to education, knowledge and understanding. Thailand, however (or its government) appears to care little for the education of its people as there is no short term gain for poloticians conscerned.

I agree the authorities should be doing more.

I don't see how the government could possibly be blamed for people getting Aids. Blame the people themselves after all the government doesn't say go out and inject yourself with dirty needles, go out and have unsafe sex. On the contrary the Aids awareness education in thailand is almost 100%. Particularly for students in primary schools! After all the education that money can buy, it is up to the individual to protect themselves.

Statistically speaking, if the quoted figures of 70 people dying per day and 35 new infections per day are true then it indicates that the infection rate is past the peak.

The BIGGER question is,what are you and me and others doing about it.I am dismayed when i read of posters coming on this,and other boards boasting about their conquests of bare backing in Thailand,and even more frightening,their conquests with katoys.

How anybody can not wear a condom with the ladyies of the night is totaly beyond me,as many have thai bf and some have bar boy, boy friends too,who go with guys.The only way to reduce aids/hiv is to wrap it and not rely on the government to take care of you when its too late.

+1

I wouldn't bother if the barebackers hit the wall, but it is the girls, whether they are girls, ladyboys or gays, who I feel sorry for.

A lot of them is ignorant of HIV transmission and how to avoid it. Many think it is just bad luck when they get it. "money first" And they will carry on until they fall dead, to rake in as much money as possible for their family.

Most western johns who are infected get medication that reduces virus load below detection levels, effectively reducing to almost zero the risk of infecting others.

The virus in Thailand is spread by thai barebackers.

The government must again launch campaigns to inform the population, especially the young population about the risks.

A campaign in the schools and free condoms for thais would certainly help a lot.