My Experience With The International Hospital

keestha

August 17 our infant daughter was admitted to the International Hospital with what was diagnosed as a viral stomach flu. Today August 21 she was discharged.

About the medical treatment I was fully satisfied, also she wasn't kept in the hospital any longer than strictly necessary.

As far as the costs are concerned, the room set us back 1800 Baht per night. There was only one room free when we came (late afternoon), and it was the one but cheapest type of room. Meals are included in the room price. Of course our daughter was only given stuff like rice soup and pudding, I don't know what food they give adults.

Nursing fee is 500 Baht per day, but I have the impression the Thai hospital system is based on there always being somebody (spouse, mother, whatever) to take care of the patient, so the nursing charge might be more if this is not the case. The doctors fee becomes less per day if the patient stays longer, in our case it was 2700 Baht for 4 days.

You can save money by buying medical supplies like cotton, pampers and anti-inflamatory creme outside the hospital, the Big C next door has everything.

I was a bit shocked when after 2 days I was presented with a statement which said I already owed almost 21000 Baht, but later I found out this was mainly due to the fact that you are charged in one go for the medicines, which you have to purchase per bottle or package. The 3th plus the 4th day only added 5000 Baht to the bill.

As far as non medical facilities are concerned, the International is not a 5 star affair like the Bangkok-Phuket hospital or the Bumrungrad in Bangkok. There is a cafetaria which serves acceptable Thai, Western and Japanese food, of course they also send food up to the rooms. There is a small shop on the premises, and a bakery which has excellent products. There are internet connected computers in the lobby, free for 15 minutes, and for a charge if longer. There are also some patient rooms with WIFI, available on request if any are vacant.

t seems that all the hospitals now charge exorbitant rates for medicine. This is because the doctor gets a cut, I think, and because they need to make money. But it leads to oversubscribing.

I always refuse to buy any medication from the hospital and buy it outside at one of the wholesale pharmacies at 1/3 - 1/2 the cost. I usually ask the doctor to write down the medicine for me. They are not too happy about it but usually comply or write a prescription for only 5 tablets.

t seems that all the hospitals now charge exorbitant rates for medicine. This is because the doctor gets a cut, I think, and because they need to make money. But it leads to oversubscribing.

I always refuse to buy any medication from the hospital and buy it outside at one of the wholesale pharmacies at 1/3 - 1/2 the cost. I usually ask the doctor to write down the medicine for me. They are not too happy about it but usually comply or write a prescription for only 5 tablets.

My main experience with the International (Sirirot) Hospital is that doctors (at least the one I dealt with) there are very quick to recommend an operation, when in fact it may not be necessary. In my case it was lumbar disk trouble.

Regarding medicines I have been told at the Bangkok-Phuket Hospital that they have a policy to ONLY use brand medicines, even when the patent on the drug has already run out and legal generic drugs produced in Thailand are available. Do not know whether this applies to the International Hospital also, but perhaps yes, by judging the comments of the first poster. That is the reason why I transferred last year from the Bangkok-Phuket to Wachira where I paid only about 20% of what I would have paid at the Bangkok-Phuket for exactly the same drug, one brand name the other generic. I my case it made a big difference as this drug had to be admistered intravenously for more than 6 weeks.

My doctor at Phuket International tells me that the doctors make nothing on prescribing medicines and he is quite happy for me to buy elsewhere. I always make a point of not buying hospital medicine as it can be as much as 10 times the price at your local pharmacy, even cheaper if you go to SuperCheap. Hospital excuse it that they only stock 'original' medicines and they have high overheads.

This has been said many times before, and probably most ex-pats know but tourists don't.

Go to Santi in Phuket Town for all medecine and it will save you probably 50/70% on the Hospital charges.

-----------------------

antony 77 and many others. Thanks for a great advise.. Will always from now on buy the medicine outside that dam_n hospital. However I have experienced one hospital being very cheap in comparizon to others here in Chaiyaphum.

I bought my bloodpressure medicine (2 different) and was debited for 2 month 1.900 baht. I was very upset, took with me that

name of the medicines and went to Ram Hospital and they debited me 1000 baht. But it is great to know that this is the fact here in Thailand, and I shall also try, what you guys do, buy at big C and others.

hanks

Glegolo

My doctor at Phuket International tells me that the doctors make nothing on prescribing medicines and he is quite happy for me to buy elsewhere. I always make a point of not buying hospital medicine as it can be as much as 10 times the price at your local pharmacy, even cheaper if you go to SuperCheap. Hospital excuse it that they only stock 'original' medicines and they have high overheads.

As far as I know Supercheap has the largest variety of drugs available freely. Never been to Santi, do not know where it is.

But it is not legal to sell a great number of drugs over the counter, even though some anti-biotics are sold at Supercheap. This is dangerous, as they tend to be over-used by the patient, without proper directions by a doctor, and users as well as the bacteria develop a resistance. For example Ciprofloxasin is freely available and the result is that it has lost its effectiveness with many people in Southeast Asia. As far as I know these restricted drugs are only available through doctors, either at clinics or in hospitals. I my opinion the only places to obtain these drugs at a reasonable price is at a government administered hospital, or perhaps one that is run not for a profit, such as Mission Hospital.

I guess I got off lucky. I went to an international hospital and each time, my fees kept rising. When the urologist recommended a procedure costing 10,000 baht, I had to draw the line.

Later, I looked up my credit card balance and found a charge on the credit card from Mumbai, India as well as the hospital, same day. Took me two months to get rid of that one. I found a good hospital after that. I get the idea that the international hospitals think we are all funded either by companies or embassies.

As far as I know Supercheap has the largest variety of drugs available freely. Never been to Santi, do not know where it is.

But it is not legal to sell a great number of drugs over the counter, even though some anti-biotics are sold at Supercheap. This is dangerous, as they tend to be over-used by the patient, without proper directions by a doctor, and users as well as the bacteria develop a resistance. For example Ciprofloxasin is freely available and the result is that it has lost its effectiveness with many people in Southeast Asia. As far as I know these restricted drugs are only available through doctors, either at clinics or in hospitals. I my opinion the only places to obtain these drugs at a reasonable price is at a government administered hospital, or perhaps one that is run not for a profit, such as Mission Hospital.

I am the same I never buy from Bangkok Phuket or the International Hospital to expensive I buy from Santi Health in Phuket Town 156/2 , 55-57 Phang Na Rd not far from Robertson. I don't buy from Super Cheap the storage conditions aren't good far to hot, drugs lose there effectiveness when stored incorrectly!!