Gazebo Sukhumvit Nightclub

jfchandler

Spent a good portion of Thursday night/Friday morning at the Gazebo Sukhumvit nightclub located at the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Sukhumvit Soi 1, just a block from the Ploen Chit BTS station. It's a comfortable, pleasant "chill out" setting in a moderate price range (and no cover charge the night of our visit), and made for a fun night out.

post-53787-1250918147_thumb.jpg

Located on the top 4th floor of a large, pretty nondescript building, you walk thru a pretty nondescript ground floor parking area into the interior of the building. But don't be put off by that. You then take an elevator to the top floor, where you find a lovely Moroccan-decor themed nightclub with live music, a pretty extensive and varied menu of drinks and food, and lots of comfortable couch and cushions seating that makes it easy to get cozy.

post-53787-1250918157_thumb.jpg

The club supposedly opens about 8 p.m. We arrived about 9 p.m. and were surprised to find (at least on a weeknight) that they were offering a buy-1, get-1-free Happy Hour drinks special from 8 to 10 p.m. That's good, because their basic mixed spirits drinks typically ring in at about 250 baht apiece, though there are beers and some spirits available for less.

The fourth-floor rooftop space is covered... so you won't get rained on. But the side walls/windows are open, meaning you get quasi-fresh air breezes and unobstructed views of the surrounding Bangkok skyline. At that level, you're just about eye-level view with the BTS Sukhumvit line Skytrains that run alongside on the main road.

On the night of our visit, they had an early band that started about 9:30 p.m. with a decent Thai female singer, and then a later band about 11 p.m. with a very entertaining Thai male lead singer, who was quite the character in a "hipster" kind of way. The band did a good job drawing a connection with the crowd, even though the club wasn't particularly busy that night. Music was modern and mostly farang, with a bit of Thai thrown in (Queen, Britney Spears, Tata).

Just before midnight, the second band broke into a medley of Michael Jackson songs, and sure enough, (even in death), that was enough to get people off their seats and draw about 20 women to the front of the stage for some dancing. The crowd was pretty mixed, with both mixed couples and groups of Thais.

We shared a Thai shrimp appetizer (pla goong) later in the evening, and it was nicely prepared and tasty. And the food menu, mostly tapas-type snacks and appetizers, seemed very reasonably priced, in the 100 to 200 baht per item range.

post-53787-1250919868_thumb.jpg

Our waiter/server indicated Gazebo Sukhumvit's regular closing time is 2 a.m., though it supposedly stays open later (at times...or often times???) But we left that night about 1 a.m., so can't vouch on that point.

The web site for Gazebo Sukhumvit appears pretty out of date...but it does show a good representation of how the club looks and feels inside.

One thing I liked about the place was their attentive, but low-key service. When we wanted new drinks or to order some food, our waiter was nearby and easy to call. But when we were just relaxing and enjoying the band, no one was coming to pester us for drink refills. Just the right balance, for my tastes.

Elsewhere in the Khao San Road area, there is another Gazebo nightclub with the same logo, so presumably it is related. They also have a separate web site located here. But the Khao San Road location also appears to have a somewhat complicated system of cover charges, depending on what day/night you go and what time you arrive. That is detailed on their web site.

If you're a fan of flavored shisha pipes, both clubs appear to offer them...

Overall, if you're looking for a good, comfortable, fun night out with a date or spouse, and don't want the typical club hip-hop or techno music and aren't searching for a freelancer to take home, then I'd rate Gazebo Sukhumvit a winning choice.

I can't speak to the weekends there....since we were there on a Thursday night...

On our visit, it definitely seemed a place for already connected couples and groups....

I do recall there being some couples of women there, however.... dancing with each other....

But it didn't seem to have the same kind of meeting/interaction vibe you might find in other nightclubs around Sukhumvit...

That said.... I'm already spoken for...in that regard... So...I'd be interested to whether others have the same or different experience about Gazebo Sukhumvit...