Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

In 1982, the Tourist Police was set up to coordinate with the Tourism Authority of Thailand in providing safety for tourists. Its responsibilities are receiving and acknowledging claims and complaints; to conduct investigations and acting as coordinator of tourist security protection. At present, some 500 tourist policemen are stationed in major tourist areas such as the Grand Palace, Phatphong and Lumphini Park. Bi-lingual Tourist Police are attached to Tourism Authority of Thailand offices in Bangkok, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Pattaya, Kanchanaburi, Nakhon Ratchasima, Ubon Thani, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Phitsanulok, Nakhon Sawan, Surat Thani, Phuket and Songkhla to provide speedy assistance to visitors. In case of emergency, contact the Tourist Police Centre, Krungthep Tower Building Phetburi Tad Mai Rd., Bangkok Tel: 02-939-1111

Edited by Udonfarang52

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"when a person feels there life is directly threatened".

That was not the case of the foreign volunteer on Pattaya beach road using Maze, off duty.

Cases like this in Pattaya, is what make people upset.

Udonfarang52: we are not after you (at least I am not). You volunteered in the past and in Udon. Most (all) critic here is about the Pattaya division.

You had 55 posts of the total posts when I checked yesterday.

What more can you possibly say?

Would be much more interesting if those who volunteer in Pattaya would explain and excuse their previous actions. Sadly, thats not the case.

(they "dont want to reply to the BS on these forums").

They know that this is a hot topic in all forums in LOS, and among expats. Still they "put their head in the sand" rather than face the critic, and improve their action and uniform. Problems never go away like that. Never had. Never will.

That was not the case of the foreign volunteer on Pattaya beach road using Maze, off duty.

Udonfarang52: we are not after you (at least I am not). You volunteered in the past and in Udon. Most (all) critic here is about the Pattaya division.

Would be much more interesting if those who volunteer in Pattaya would explain and excuse their previous actions. Sadly, thats not the case.

They know that this is a hot topic in all forums in LOS, and among expats. Still they "put their head in the sand" rather than face the critic, and improve their action and uniform. Problems never go away like that. Never had. Never will.

I am not discussing the use of any thing other than a baton......I

I'm Australian......thick skin.....it takes much more than this to rattle my cage!!!!

"Then if that happens, and if the volunteer started it.......Fair enough!!!!...........i meant what i said........Off duty.......no supervision.....no common sense.........will tea money be paid?

"do show a little bit of authority" .......

Since when did translating between tourist and the local police demand "authority" ?

What was the original reason for foreign volunteers, in the tourist police ???

Did someone forget that?

Yes, I am one of 3 main characters in the program (which is still being filmed by the way!).

Finally people will see what we REALLY do, which is very different to the BS written on chat forums.

It follows the Tourist Police around Thailand, but the main "action" comes from Pattaya.

I actually think that the program is a great advert for Thailand (the crime side is nothing you wouldn't see in any other tourist city). The camera teams have gone around Thailand to show the UK audience the beauty of Thailand which is a big part of the series.

It is filmed in a very "funky" way as it is on a channel which targets young guys.

I have seen rough cuts of the show and it looks good.

I actually think that the program is a great advert for Thailand (the crime side is nothing you wouldn't see in any other tourist city). The camera teams have gone around Thailand to show the UK audience the beauty of Thailand which is a big part of the series.
Situations range from drug busts to organised tourist scams, scorned lady-boys, violent brothel disputes, bar-room brawls, brutal murders, street robberies and sexual assaults.

All a bit contradictory isn't it.

I was living in Greece when Bravo did something similar about the holiday reps in Faliraki. No one came out looking good. I doubt very much if the Tourist Police, the volunteers or the tourists are going to come out this one looking good either. It wouldn't make for very good TV if it was boring and mundane would it?

It is absolutely bizarre to me that the volunteer police are as foreigners allowed to wear uniforms and patrol at all. They should not even require to carry a baton or handcuffs because they should not be at the front line of anything. They should be allowed to translate and assist at the station, but to be out patrolling is ridiculous.

I respect anyone that bothers to volunteer for anything, and I do so myself for some things in Thailand. However, if someone asked me to put on a uniform and act as a pseudo cop, I would politely decline. One day, it will go horribly wrong.

The real Thai tourist Police in Pattaya, has a bicykling division. Wearing white polo shirts (w/logo + Police on the back) and black shorts.

If they find it suitable, and remember they are cyckling around Pattaya getting very hot, why can't the foreign volunteers?

:)

well who selected these colours!!!!

"Mr Harrison said they were selected after careful consideration."

"they were selected".......where does it say he selected the color?........they trialed the color and gave a favorable response!!!

a lot of the discusion here has been about the choice of this uniform, and i think it speaks volumes about the people who wanted it. and whats all this about ( a little bit of authority ) ie( give us some respect as well )

The real Thai tourist Police in Pattaya, has a bicycling division. Wearing white polo shirts (w/logo + Police on the back) and black shorts.

If they find it suitable, and remember they are cycling around Pattaya getting very hot, why can't the foreign volunteers?

:)

maybe,because volunteers do not ride bicycles,some are in there 60's......,sounds like the wrong uniform.........to be wearing in the hot sun!!

Bravo U.K. Slates Doc Series on Thai Tourist Police

By Mansha Daswani

Published: August 20, 2009

LONDON: The fall schedule on Bravo U.K. will be led by the new eight-part documentary series Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand, launching on the male-skewing channel on September 7.

Slated in a 10 p.m. slot, the original commission promises unprecedented behind-the-scenes access to Thailand's tourist police force—those charged with policing Westerners unfamiliar with the country's customs and laws. The show follows three specially recruited British expats who are part of the force. The show, filmed in tourist hotspots like Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya and Chang Mai, features previously unseen rescue scenes following the crash of a Bangkok Airways crash in Koh Samui, as well as other incidents involving tourists in Thailand. In addition to following the Tourist Police, the series features the Royal Navy Military Police, the British Consulate, SWAT teams and Thai Emergency Services.

Daniela Neumann, the director of programming for Virgin1, noted: "This show is a powerful reminder of the hidden dangers and high drama that happens in what is one of the U.K.'s favorite dream holiday hotspots. In a British first, Bravo cameras will allow viewers an unprecedented and hard hitting insight into the inner workings of the Thai authorities, the Brits that are working for them, and the harsh reality of breaking the law there.’

The series is being produced by Vera Productions, which filmed the Tourism Police over the course of 15 weeks.

Seems like it may be a bit more than just the tourist police volunteers.

Can't wait to see the "High dangers and hidden dramas". As for the "hard hitting insight" into the "inner workings of the Thai authorities", if it is any way accurate, they will be lucky if the tourist arrivals from the UK only drop 10%.

Then again, it is on Bravo, so only hopefully only 45 people will watch it.

Sounds like it could be described as "El Dorado" (awful 80's sitcom with Brits set in Spain) seasoned with a laokao and somtaam lao burp.

Just saw the trailer on youtube... has the same feel as banged up abroad. :D I'm sure it will be trashy entertainment, but I suppose that is the point.

Regardless if you support the tourist police volunteers or not - they are here to stay and the thai tourist police seem to be very happy with them. At best I like the fact that they are visible because that alone is a deterrent to crime. I wish I saw them in other areas of Pattaya besides Walking Street. (only place I've ever seen them in all the years I have been there)

As for the video lad - get permission before you video or take photos of anyone. Plain rude and highly offensive in a lot of countries. :)

Edited by britmaveric

As for the video lad - get permission before you video or take photos of anyone. Plain rude and highly offensive in a lot of countries. :)

I don't think it was the video itself that set them off, it was following them around with the camera that was annoying them. I can't imagine a different reaction from anyone else, the guys with the camera included.

Just saw the trailer on youtube... has the same feel as banged up abroad. :D I'm sure it will be trashy entertainment, but I suppose that is the point.

Regardless if you support the tourist police volunteers or not - they are here to stay and the thai tourist police seem to be very happy with them. At best I like the fact that they are visible because that alone is a deterrent to crime. I wish I saw them in other areas of Pattaya besides Walking Street. (only place I've ever seen them in all the years I have been there)

As for the video lad - get permission before you video or take photos of anyone. Plain rude and highly offensive in a lot of countries. :D

With respect...I disagree Brit.

In your opinion (as well as others) it would be OK to install Foreigners/Expats, acting like tourist police volunteers in all tourist countries ?

Sorry, but there's no other country in the world allowing foreigners/expats to act like police volunteers.

It's plain silly.

* Brazilian expats as police volunteers around Disney World - Florida...OK ?

* German expats as police volunteers on Mallorca in Spain, OK ?

* Australian expats as police volunteers on Bali.....OK ?

* English expats as police volunteers in Rimini - Italy...OK ?

* Chinese expats as police volunteers in the Philippines...OK ?

* Dutch expats as police volunteers in Portugal.....OK ?

hmmmmmmm...plain silly and idiotic and only to be seen in Thailand... :)

What a world.. :D

LaoPo

I can't see the program improving Thailand's image or making it any more attractive to potential visitors, but perhaps that is not the motivation for it's makers. Combine the likely sensationalist style (lets be honest, that is what it will be - its on Bravo/Virgin FGS :D ) with the widely reported airport scams and IMHO it can do nothing but harm to the LOS.

Certain egocentric participants may well live to regret their involvement with program by drawing (even more) attention to themselves as an outcome, but I am sure they know best :) .

I though I would butt in with the 200th post on this thread.

Why don't you all just wait for the program........there is 8 pages of rubbish here (which I have no interest in participating in), or at least make the next 200 posts worthwhile and relevant. :)

Edit: I will take that back, because there are some sensible posters here, thanks for your contribution!

Edited by hm1973

I can't see the program improving Thailand's image or making it any more attractive to potential visitors, but perhaps that is not the motivation for it's makers. Combine the likely sensationalist style (lets be honest, that is what it will be - its on Bravo/Virgin FGS :D ) with the widely reported airport scams and IMHO it can do nothing but harm to the LOS.

Certain egocentric participants may well live to regret their involvement with program by drawing (even more) attention to themselves as an outcome, but I am sure they know best :) .

Agreed; it's hardly to become a serious series about whales, giving birth on the shores of Pattaya, produced and paid for by National Geographic I suppose.

I think the producers of Bravo understood VERY WELL what the series are about to become.... sensational stuff and attracting lots of viewers... :D

LaoPo

The UK police use translators all the time, never seen them in uniform. When in the cell's they sometimes have a high-vis vest with visitor on them; so why can't these guy's just have a h/v vest with Police Translator/ Tourist assistance or something similar without the paramilitary garb and keep out of the agro? Unless they like the buz: Oh yes, the translators in the UK are paid!

"Paramilitary" is a great scare word but I think people are making too much out of it. Postal workers, boy scouts, and tool booth operators wear "paramilitary" garb. It means nothing, it's just a uniform.

"Paramilitary" is a great scare word but I think people are making too much out of it. Postal workers, boy scouts, and tool booth operators wear "paramilitary" garb. It means nothing, it's just a uniform.

That's the point CDNVIC.....people book a holiday to a sunny destination and don't expect to see Farang faces in Thailand, dressed in a uniform with handcuffs and a baton; their first reaction will be....: :D what the heck is this?

Nobody seems to have an answer WHY only Thailand has these chaps... :)

LaoPo

That's the point CDNVIC.....people book a holiday to a sunny destination and don't expect to see Farang faces in Thailand, dressed in a uniform with handcuffs and a baton; their first reaction will be....: :D what the heck is this?

Nobody seems to have an answer WHY only Thailand has these chaps... :)

LaoPo

Fair enough, I just don't see the big deal about a few foreigners playing rent-a-cop. I mean, the reaction to these guys is way out of proportion if you ask me. By the sounds of it if you stay off walking street you can avoid them altogether.

When it comes to western countries employing foreigners in similar capacities, you must remember that they tend to be far more culturally diverse and the likelihood of needing to hire non-citizens to fill the role of interpreters and to deal with people from other cultures is far less likely.

Personally, I think the uniforms look a little silly, and the nightsticks are not needed, but at the end of the day, it's a small group of isolated people. Why are some people so obsessed with them?

Personally, I think the uniforms look a little silly, and the nightsticks are not needed, but at the end of the day, it's a small group of isolated people. Why are some people so obsessed with them?

:D .....I agree completely and totally; maybe these Farang chaps don't even realize they also look silly and macho in a uniform in a touristic area. I wonder if they dreamed about wearing a uniform when they decided to live in Thailand...?

Obsessed? maybe because it's so utterly silly.

BTW: what on earth would the more than 60% (of total Thai inbound toruism) Asian tourists to Thailand think of these guys ? :D

I rest my case and go and have a look in Thai Student Uniforms 'too Sexy'-thread :)

LaoPo

Well like cdnvic I don't notice them apart from Walking Street and my only interaction has been having a few cordial conversations with Howard. Basically they are a fixture in Pattaya and I appreciate their efforts. What did I think when I first saw them? I thought their presence in Pattaya was more a curiosity, and I definitely wasn't put off. Basically think anyone who volunteers their free time for the community should be praised, not scorned.

Well, I really meant what I said before that IF they had some legitimate powers MAYBE they could do some actual enforcing

instead of just sitting at the entrance to walking street where nothing ever happens? EXAMPLE: Just the other night I went

down there for a stroll and near soi 16 there are now 20 katuhy's who make this their permanent location. Crossing the

street, no-thank-you, ignoring them, nothing works. attempts to deflect their incessant advances are met with insults and to

be quite honest, if you are not wary of them, especially in groups, it can very easily turn into a physical altercation. So why

is this taking place at NUMEROUS locations on walking st? the thais are obviously not interested in addressing any of the

real problems the volunteers CANNOT so the nonsense continues. i'm not talking about other areas of the city, right there

on walking st i've witnessed several fights with gangs of locals beating up drunken tourists and where are the volunteers?

nowhere to be seen either during or after? what's the point of it all? it seems to be nothing but a rather big joke? but yet

these guys want to strut about with their combat boots and paramilitary gear? dress the part but never can never do nothing. :)

In 1982, the Tourist Police was set up to coordinate with the Tourism Authority of Thailand in providing safety for tourists. Its responsibilities are receiving and acknowledging claims and complaints; to conduct investigations and acting as coordinator of tourist security protection. At present, some 500 tourist policemen are stationed in major tourist areas such as the Grand Palace, Phatphong and Lumphini Park. Bi-lingual Tourist Police are attached to Tourism Authority of Thailand offices in Bangkok, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Pattaya, Kanchanaburi, Nakhon Ratchasima, Ubon Thani, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Phitsanulok, Nakhon Sawan, Surat Thani, Phuket and Songkhla to provide speedy assistance to visitors. In case of emergency, contact the Tourist Police Centre, Krungthep Tower Building Phetburi Tad Mai Rd., Bangkok Tel: 02-939-1111

And they are all Thai nationals, there is no mention of foreign nationals being employed within the Tourist Police

^Cali4995 - agree wish they were on patrol through the entire Beach/Walking Street to 2nd Rd Circuit course with the Thai Tourist Police with them. This would deter alot of the petty crime in Pattaya. But let's be honest at the end of the day there is no interest by the Tourist Police.

i agree with you and i'm not trying to be overly harsh on the volunteers, but like i said before they seem to have

pitiful little powers to do anything and the regular police have other concerns. so they beach area as you mention

is overrun with these young, punk drug dealers and they're always causing trouble down there. i honestly think if

they (the volunteers) had some training and were given "authority" to do something maybe they could effect a

difference because the local agencies seem to be completely disinterested in any of the actual crime problems?