Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

Mentions Howard.... wonder if that's Howard Miller? (Howard if reading please confirm or not)

N0 it is NOT Howard Miller.

eeerrrr....yes it is me!!!! :)

Good to see your still popping in howard, I am looking forward to seeing this program.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mentions Howard.... wonder if that's Howard Miller? (Howard if reading please confirm or not)

N0 it is NOT Howard Miller.

eeerrrr....yes it is me!!!! :)

Good to see your still popping in howard, I am looking forward to seeing this program.

I'm always watching......Thai Visa provides the best entertainment I could ask for :D

I believe the tourist police have a great potential to serve the Thai tourist industry positively.

But,if they are involved in activities such as going to bars and taking ladies to hotels so that Thai police can the ladies and the barowners, then that seem like questionable participation, at least to me.

I'm always watching......Thai Visa provides the best entertainment I could ask for :D

What next howard?

Thaivisa the movie? :):D

It would definetly be a comedy :D

But the question is howard would it be tongue in cheek, Or foot in mouth?

Sure some of the posters on here would be perfect as extras. :D:D

What next howard?

Thaivisa the movie? :):D

It would definetly be a comedy :D

But the question is howard would it be tongue in cheek, Or foot in mouth?

Sure some of the posters on here would be perfect as extras. :D:D

Better still Howard, how about you drawing up a cast of characters from thaivisa members?.

Just for fun really.

I think any show that actually gives people a real impression of Thai Justice and Prison systems is only going to be detrimental to Thailand's image. Its basically a big advert for "Here is our 3rd world justice system, our below UN standards prisons and the people who enforce the laws are putting on this lovely show for you at the same time" I mean really does anyone expect anything more than the highest standards when something is put for the world to see, the joke is the standards are a joke.

The idea of Foreign Police Volunteers is radical and somewhat untested in other countries. Before you scoff - remember that the alleged problems regarding bribery, violence etc.....go beyond the FPV. If your criticism of them is a veiled attack at the Thai police, or Thai society, or Bar-girls then drop the duplicity and clearly express your concerns. I do not think that the FPV is the problem or, from my knowledge and experience, add to them.

I adamantly believe that the Thai legal system should be fair & just; just accepting inadequate standards means that both indigenous and farangs remain vulnerable.

:) ...the credibility of the Pattaya Foreigners' Volunteer Police force took a serious hit:

NORWEGIAN VOLUNTEER POLICE ARRESTED IN PATTAYA FOR DRUGS DEALING

http://pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000010247

Also here on Thaivisa:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Norwegian-Vo...ed-t295174.html

LaoPo

I dont want to add anything to the heated discussion in this thread.

But the head line is silly.

VOLUNTEER POLICE ARRESTED.

Then in the article it says he is an x-member of the VOLUNTEER POLICE.

Then later in the article it says he has not been a VOLUNTEER POLICE for the last 6 months.

So in other words, A Norwegian man is arrested for (whatever).

:) ...the credibility of the Pattaya Foreigners' Volunteer Police force took a serious hit:

Also here on Thaivisa:

LaoPo

Don't you mean "ex volunteer"............!!!!!!

"At 7:30 pm today (3rd September) the editor of PDN was notified by Mr. Howard Miller, the leader of the Volunteer Tourist Police, that Johansen had been sacked from his team about 6 months ago because it was discovered he had a dark past. Johansen has now been taken to the office of Narcotics Suppression Bureau for further processing."

Seems to me that security checks on volunteers work!!!!!

Edited by Udonfarang52

Also here on Thaivisa:

LaoPo

Don't you mean "ex volunteer"............!!!!!!

Sorry, but I didn't write the headline; Pattaya Daily News did. Don't shoot the TV-messenger :D

LaoPo

^Fired 6mo ago due to a "dark past"

What was his dark past and what was done about its uncovering? Simply removed from being an active policeman or was it investigated further?

Was anything uncovered about his current months (or was it years) of heroin trafficking?

This sounds like something bad was found out... and then simply swept under the rug. Sounds very akin to a Thai policeman getting reassigned to a different location (as opposed to active prosecution) whenever criminal activity by one of them is found out.

Well I'd wager his dark past - put the lad under watch by the BIB, and hence his arrest.

Assuming his dark past was uncovered when the background checks began, it took up to possibly twelve months of being "under watch" while up to six of those months he's still working as a policeman?

Was the FTPA involved with this being "under watch"? Did they help with getting him apprehended or did they wash their hands of the whole embarrassment once he was uncovered and removed from the police force?

^Fired 6mo ago due to a "dark past"

What was his dark past and what was done about its uncovering? Simply removed from being an active policeman or was it investigated further?

Was anything uncovered about his current months (or was it years) of heroin trafficking?

This sounds like something bad was found out... and then simply swept under the rug. Sounds very akin to a Thai policeman getting reassigned to a different location (as opposed to active prosecution) whenever criminal activity by one of them is found out.

It is obvious it was investigated further hence his arrest.

No matter what country you are in investigations take time. What is the point of rushing in with very little evidence?

You have to make a case before you act on it.

Point of law in any country right?

Well I'd wager his dark past - put the lad under watch by the BIB, and hence his arrest.

Assuming his dark past was uncovered when the background checks began, it took up to possibly twelve months of being "under watch" while up to six of those months he's still working as a policeman?

Was the FTPA involved with this being "under watch"? Did they help with getting him apprehended or did they wash their hands of the whole embarrassment once he was uncovered and removed from the police force?

I think he is a volunteer,cannot work...!!

He is not a policeman........just a volunteer.

These checks can take some time.....maybe have to be translated from another language.My application and Australian police clearance were checked,so i'm told.As to further checks on your background.i don't know!

Howard has clearly made his statement on this, Read it and understand it.

If it is beyond your understanding, I am sure tv can explain it in simple language for you. Problem is many of us have forgotten childish ga ga a long time before.

Edited by cyb

Yes, I am one of 3 main characters in the program (which is still being filmed by the way!).

Finally people will see what we REALLY do, which is very different to the BS written on chat forums.

It follows the Tourist Police around Thailand, but the main "action" comes from Pattaya.

I actually think that the program is a great advert for Thailand (the crime side is nothing you wouldn't see in any other tourist city). The camera teams have gone around Thailand to show the UK audience the beauty of Thailand which is a big part of the series.

It is filmed in a very "funky" way as it is on a channel which targets young guys.

I have seen rough cuts of the show and it looks good.

I don't think this country is any more beautiful than anywhere else. Why is this 'oh it's beautiful' thing always pushed.

Okay a few places in the south have scenery but to be honest overall it ain't that pretty. Architectures dire, it's pretty flat, there's litter everywhere, most of it's falling apart, the national grid could be classed as artistic I guess . . .

Just the opinion of someone who's been here a while and sees through all the BS.

Yes, I am one of 3 main characters in the program (which is still being filmed by the way!).

Finally people will see what we REALLY do, which is very different to the BS written on chat forums.

It follows the Tourist Police around Thailand, but the main "action" comes from Pattaya.

I actually think that the program is a great advert for Thailand (the crime side is nothing you wouldn't see in any other tourist city). The camera teams have gone around Thailand to show the UK audience the beauty of Thailand which is a big part of the series.

It is filmed in a very "funky" way as it is on a channel which targets young guys.

I don't think this country is any more beautiful than anywhere else. Why is this 'oh it's beautiful' thing always pushed.

Okay a few places in the south have scenery but to be honest overall it ain't that pretty. Architectures dire, it's pretty flat, there's litter everywhere, most of it's falling apart, the national grid could be classed as artistic I guess . . .

Just the opinion of someone who's been here a while and sees through all the BS.

I don't mean to be rude, but this mini-rant sounds like the opinion of somebody who needs some "time-out" from Thailand. Maybe you should take a holiday, re-group, then come back. There are some stunning places in Thailand, regardless of any BS that may be floating around. Alternatively, if you feel this way, maybe you should think about relocating to another country? Once again I am not being rude, just offering some advice based on your statement.

I don't mean to be rude, but this mini-rant sounds like the opinion of somebody who needs some "time-out" from Thailand. Maybe you should take a holiday, re-group, then come back. There are some stunning places in Thailand, regardless of any BS that may be floating around. Alternatively, if you feel this way, maybe you should think about relocating to another country? Once again I am not being rude, just offering some advice based on your statement.

I dont mean to be rude,but me thinks you may need to go to spec savers,yes there is SOME nice places in thailand,but in short bkk is one hel_l of

a shitehol.i.e power lines over head on walkways,the walkways themselfs,its like dodge the pothole or missing paveing brick or slab,the smell that

comes from the drains sometimes,the rats running in the gutters,the pollution from the cars,TRUCKS,TUK TUKS,motocy,the colour of stained building

were over the years the water has run down the side of it,or the whole building has gone black by exhaust fumes etc etc etc.

And i am not a moaning,its just the way i see it. :)

I dont mean to be rude,but me thinks you may need to go to spec savers,yes there is SOME nice places in thailand,but in short bkk is one hel_l of

a shitehol.i.e power lines over head on walkways,the walkways themselfs,its like dodge the pothole or missing paveing brick or slab,the smell that

comes from the drains sometimes,the rats running in the gutters,the pollution from the cars,TRUCKS,TUK TUKS,motocy,the colour of stained building

were over the years the water has run down the side of it,or the whole building has gone black by exhaust fumes etc etc etc.

And i am not a moaning,its just the way i see it. :)

I certainly was not including Bkk as an area of beauty in Thailand, why would I need specs, I can see perfectly thanks!

I just did. Moving to Bermuda. Only thing that keeps me here is the kid. Which is my only concern for this place.

Just saw the trailer on youtube... has the same feel as banged up abroad. :D I'm sure it will be trashy entertainment, but I suppose that is the point.

Regardless if you support the tourist police volunteers or not - they are here to stay and the thai tourist police seem to be very happy with them. At best I like the fact that they are visible because that alone is a deterrent to crime. I wish I saw them in other areas of Pattaya besides Walking Street. (only place I've ever seen them in all the years I have been there)

As for the video lad - get permission before you video or take photos of anyone. Plain rude and highly offensive in a lot of countries. :D

With respect...I disagree Brit.

In your opinion (as well as others) it would be OK to install Foreigners/Expats, acting like tourist police volunteers in all tourist countries ?

Sorry, but there's no other country in the world allowing foreigners/expats to act like police volunteers.

It's plain silly.

* Brazilian expats as police volunteers around Disney World - Florida...OK ?

* German expats as police volunteers on Mallorca in Spain, OK ?

* Australian expats as police volunteers on Bali.....OK ?

* English expats as police volunteers in Rimini - Italy...OK ?

* Chinese expats as police volunteers in the Philippines...OK ?

* Dutch expats as police volunteers in Portugal.....OK ?

hmmmmmmm...plain silly and idiotic and only to be seen in Thailand... :)

What a world.. :D

LaoPo

The British Police Reserve (Special Constable) accepts recruits from "A British, Irish or a Commonwealth citizen (whose stay in this country is not subject to restriction)"

And the Irish Police Reserve accept recruits of any nationality providing they have had 4 years legal residence in the country.

I suspect this is also true of many other countries. However, in the above countries at least, the reserve police are part of the regular force, wear the same uniform and have broadly the same duties, legal powers and legal restrictions as the regular force. This is very different from the quasi police of the Thai Tourist Police Assistants. This strikes me as an ad-hoc, ill thought-out concept (thats not meant as a reflection on any of its members. I'm sure most of it's members are motivated by a desire to give service to their community). They are not police, have very limited powers and a very limited role, So I would question and be very uncomfortable with the use of the word Police, with wearing any Police style uniform and carrying any Police equipment. They should be confined to station duties, liason and interpretation and leave policing to the police.

I just did. Moving to Bermuda. Only thing that keeps me here is the kid. Which is my only concern for this place.

Good luck with your move.