Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

Surely anyone with PTSD is not mentally/emotionally fit and should never be considered for a volunteer in the first place. One of my best pals here in Bkk is a vet with this and he is certainly not up to the task.

Since when do you have the right to ascertain my fitness to do anything,grow up.........Maybe your Vietnam veteran mate,is not taking medication...!!

Discrimination against those with PTSD will not be tolerated.......!

What are you qualifications to make these comments????

I think your emotional response to posts, including mine, prove my point. You come across as slightly unstable and not the sort who should be a volunteer, nothing to do with discrimination, just common sense.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My response......"better to sit back,say nothing, and have every one think you are a fool,then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"..You have not answered the question.What are your qualifications to support your comments about me.

Just another farang with an opinion based on ignorance.Of course i will reply to stupid comments like yours.All you are displaying in this forum is discrimination against those with disabilities............!!!!

Get a life farang!!!!!

I was just chatting with a friend who lives in Patong who has a few Kathu Station police friends. According to a cop friend of his who is on duty today, JJ has just been talking with the police. Supposedly JJ has stated that the incident was not real and that he was only paid for acting. ie... it was a set-up. Can anyone else in Patong station area verify this?

Edited by jacobbells

I was just chatting with a friend who lives in Patong who has a few Kathu Station police friends. According to a cop friend of his who is on duty today, JJ has just been talking with the police. Supposedly JJ has stated that the incident was not real and that he was only paid for acting. ie... it was a set-up. Can anyone else in Patong station area verify this?

Of course he would say that, so would I if I was caught on camera doing that!

The boatyard scene was obviously set up. Supposedly the Marine in trouble managed to get out a text calling for his mates. How did they and the military policeman manage to locate the boatyard out the back of Patong never having been there before and probably never to Patong before from a simple text then? ...and would you really shake hands with someone after a bust up like that!!?? I'm sure halfway through it you can see JJ give a little smile as if to say "I'm doing alright for the camera".

Thank god a few others are noticing this scene is completely setup. Additionally, I think these guys may get tourists for a few thousand baht in damages but where does 40,000 baht come from. I won't even begin to fully dissect why this is not real. However, I have to shake my head at all the gullible ones here thinking it is real. REALITY TV is generally scripted.

Anyone with half a brain can see it was scripted. I was laughing my ass off with the corny "I am not lady boy... I am not lady... I am Thai man" crap that one of the producers must have written for him.

I have to comment that the scene with the girl charged with Marijuana possession in partly fixed as well in my opinion. I think she was arrested and the boyfriend was coached to go along with the "we have no money and you are going to jail". We're talking a couple thousand dollars and no calls are made overseas? The guy can't scrape up the money?

The producers probably told him they would eventually pay for the release but he has to go along with pretending he has no money. This show is really such a bunch of bullshit.

I did like the scene with the drunken guy but I'm starting to wonder about that one too. The dialing the random number on the phone seemed a bit odd and contrived. Then the father arrives from around the corner.

Interestingly no one is showing their faces. Why is this? Watch any cops episode and they all show their faces. Is it because we have paid actors?

The boatyard scene was obviously set up. Supposedly the Marine in trouble managed to get out a text calling for his mates. How did they and the military policeman manage to locate the boatyard out the back of Patong never having been there before and probably never to Patong before from a simple text then? ...and would you really shake hands with someone after a bust up like that!!?? I'm sure halfway through it you can see JJ give a little smile as if to say "I'm doing alright for the camera".

Thank god a few others are noticing this scene is completely setup. Additionally, I think these guys may get tourists for a few thousand baht in damages but where does 40,000 baht come from. I won't even begin to fully dissect why this is not real. However, I have to shake my head at all the gullible ones here thinking it is real. REALITY TV is generally scripted.

I totally agree with you.

This also means that I doubt the entire show, and the production company.

Makes me really wonder if anything is for real in this show.

Probably not much.

I almost had to laugh when this young lady that was caught for posession of cannabis was crying, and her boyfriend, sat next to her yawning, not even bother to hide it. Maybe the production company should have edited that out?

Amazes me if its true that they are allowed to film in the prison, and record when the consul/agent is talking to the prisoners about the procedures, and allow the camera to record when they openly talk about how it is possible to bribe yourself out of the prison.

Silly

Not going to add too much to the discussion regarding the volunteer issue, as there are too many personal attacks in this thread. But I think it is a good thing to have it, if the recourses (the volunteers) are used the correct way.

I can't wait to watch this series, Im downloading it right now!

It's all on You Tube.

Just had a friend from Patong on the phone. Yup, JJ is really arrested (for now). Have a look at Phuketwan and search for stories about the Jet Ski Scam the last couple of weeks. It is a big topic for the Governor... he receives calls daily from Consuls, Ambassadors, the foreign ministry of Thailand...

At least some action is being taken, good to see that JJ's scam backfired. Seems he isn't as smart as he thinks he is. Unless of course it was indeed all scripted, in which case this whole documentairy indeed should be taken with a big pinch of salt.

Edited by Scott
Link to website removed/Scott

LosWorld and Travel2003,

You are way off the mark, think about this logically for a second.

If they had paid JJ to act out the scene with the soldiers, that would mean that the Soldiers must have been paid as well or are you suggesting the Producer told JJ to threaten soldiers from his own country with a firearm and scam them out of thousands of Baht. Would UK Soldiers be prepared to be part of the scene even if they were told they would be paid money to do it. This would land them in serious trouble and would probably lead them to be expelled from the force. Would they risk their careers for a show broadcast on a small sattelite TV station on UK.....I don't think so.

And to suggest that my case with the drunk Aussie was set up in any way is laughable. I helped the guy and found a telephone number in his phone under the name of "Dad". I called the number and his dad came down to get him.

This is a reality TV show, showing the REAL Thailand. I guess some on here and on other forums donlt really want the world to see what REALLY goes on here. I understand that in a way, especially if you live here, but this program has already lead to an "arrest" of a Jet Ski scammer in Phuket. That can only be a good thing. It will help tourists and expats understand what really happens here and may even prevent such things happening to them.

I know this first episode has created such a stir, but remember there are 7 more to come. Maybe you should reserve some of your judgment on the show and those appearing in it until you you have seen future episodes.

So you are saying yet more is to come, boy I guess 7 more of these episodes might really put people off to even consider Thailand as a holiday destination. Som Nam Naa.

Too little to late I'm afraid, otherwise how come people like JJ have been able to pull stunts like this for years and years. I wonder if some of the BIB in Phuket are feeling the heat and getting nervous.

Edited by sjaak327

LosWorld and Travel2003,

If they had paid JJ to act out the scene with the soldiers, that would mean that the Soldiers must have been paid as well or are you suggesting the Producer told JJ to threaten soldiers from his own country with a firearm and scam them out of thousands of Baht. Would UK Soldiers be prepared to be part of the scene even if they were told they would be paid money to do it. This would land them in serious trouble and would probably lead them to be expelled from the force. Would they risk their careers for a show broadcast on a small sattelite TV station on UK.....I don't think so.

And to suggest that my case with the drunk Aussie was set up in any way is laughable. I helped the guy and found a telephone number in his phone under the name of "Dad". I called the number and his dad came down to get him.

This is a reality TV show, showing the REAL Thailand. I guess some on here and on other forums donlt really want the world to see what REALLY goes on here. I understand that in a way, especially if you live here, but this program has already lead to an "arrest" of a Jet Ski scammer in Phuket. That can only be a good thing. It will help tourists and expats understand what really happens here and may even prevent such things happening to them.

I know this first episode has created such a stir, but remember there are 7 more to come. Maybe you should reserve some of your judgment on the show and those appearing in it until you you have seen future episodes.

Hi

First.

The series is made in a very dramatic way.

Of course, without the drama nobody would watch it.

Been to Walking Street a few times, so I do not doubt any of the scenes from that place.

I see your points, but I still have trouble understand how all the guys and camera team managed to pop up at that particulal jet ski place.

Also the words and phrases this JJ used seemed rehearsed.

This JJ has supposedly (is that a word??) made himself a nice little business with equipment worth a lot of money.

Then sudenly he is stupid enough to allow a camera team film him when he carrys a weapon, and make threats?

How can someone that industrious be so stupid?

Surely you must agree this seems strange.

And again, how many prisons around the globe allow film teams filming (and taping) whatever they want inside the prison?

Also weird.

There is no doubt that this series will have a huge impact. Especially if it is sold and aired in many countries.

Of course, the question is, how many Thais have actually seen it?

And how many will? I saw in an article that Thais are shocked over what they saw.

What Thais? Some Thai expats in UK?

I know this type of shows will be very popular on Thai tv.

But the local impact will be "look at all the bad farangs that visit us". Which I have to admit is true.

Hi

First.

The series is made in a very dramatic way.

Of course, without the drama nobody would watch it.

Been to Walking Street a few times, so I do not doubt any of the scenes from that place.

I see your points, but I still have trouble understand how all the guys and camera team managed to pop up at that particulal jet ski place.

Also the words and phrases this JJ used seemed rehearsed.

This JJ has supposedly (is that a word??) made himself a nice little business with equipment worth a lot of money.

Then sudenly he is stupid enough to allow a camera team film him when he carrys a weapon, and make threats?

How can someone that industrious be so stupid?

Surely you must agree this seems strange.

I do agree with you, it really seems a strange scene and to someone looking at it from the outside may seem a completely made up scene...but it isn't. I know it is hard to believe, but it is 100% real, but very bizarre stuff I know!

And again, how many prisons around the globe allow film teams filming (and taping) whatever they want inside the prison?

Also weird.

They got unbelievable almost unrestricted access to a total of 7 prisons as I understand it, around Thailand. Don't know how they pulled this off, but they did so full credit to the production team!

There is no doubt that this series will have a huge impact. Especially if it is sold and aired in many countries.

Of course, the question is, how many Thais have actually seen it?

And how many will? I saw in an article that Thais are shocked over what they saw.

What Thais? Some Thai expats in UK?

I know this type of shows will be very popular on Thai tv.

But the local impact will be "look at all the bad farangs that visit us". Which I have to admit is true.

I know this first episode has created such a stir, but remember there are 7 more to come.

Well, that should definitely cut down on tourist arrivals.

Totally disagree with you and here is why:

UK TV show reality shows from Ibiza, and even Brighton Beach. They show idiots causing problems, Police arresting youngsters and other "bad" aspects of the places. Do you think these programs put people off from going to these places....of course not. I actually believe that this program will attract more people to Thailand. People with a bit of common sense realize that tourist related crimes occur around the World. Thailand is no different. If you look beyong the crime scenes, there are plenty of pictures of nightlife and the beaches which will attract the audience the program is designed for which is 18 to 35 year old Males.

You must keep in mind what sort of a TV Channel this program was made for and why the program is edited in the style it was.

Edited by hm1973

with more big trouble to come......?????? :):D:D

tourism to rise???????by how much compared to previous years when thailand is up-side down with political turmoils, speculators from abroad on board in its prime land areas, aids on the rise in scary proportions, education at an abysmal low priority, senseless killings and murders of one kind and another and an absolutely corrupt elite cohorts????????? :D

:D

D-day for thailand seem more likely to come sooner than expected......???????? :D

LosWorld and Travel2003,

Howard is it true what i have heard? That with the stir the first episode caused the whole series is to be dubbed in Thai?

LosWorld and Travel2003,

Howard is it true what i have heard? That with the stir the first episode caused the whole series is to be dubbed in Thai?

If the series became a hit I am sure Bravo will attempt to sell the series to other countries. If a Thai Channel wanted to buy it then I am sure Bravo would sell it. The main point is the program does not disrespect Thailand in any way and could therefore be show on Thai TV (with a bit of sensoring I presume!). If I hear of any countries buying the program I will post here.

As for access to the prisons... quite simple how the producers got it.... DOSH!!

Not true. The production team included a well connected Thai Woman (A "Fixer") who arranged everything. No backhanders were required or paid over for the prison visits.

If the series became a hit I am sure Bravo will attempt to sell the series to other countries. If a Thai Channel wanted to buy it then I am sure Bravo would sell it. The main point is the program does not disrespect Thailand in any way and could therefore be show on Thai TV (with a bit of sensoring I presume!). If I hear of any countries buying the program I will post here.

I am sure it will be a hit (you just need to look at you tube and other net sources) and if it is, Could we be looking at series 2? :)

Also Howard fully agree with all you say.

Edited by cyb

Personally this would make me think twice of going to Thailand (if i didnt live here)

also i rent jet skis alot and those days are over after watching that. I did have one incident where they tried to blame for a missing panel,

it was a very tense 10 minutes and finally i just said call the police i be will sitting right there and walked away and sat down at my chair.

A panel magically appeared and was put on.

I actually believe that this program will attract more people to Thailand.

Only people it will attract are elderly Pattaya sex tourists. Most normal tourists would be scared off.

And I agree, the jetski thing is odd. When scammers are attempting to scam people they usually do not want cameras taking pictures. In fact they might even break them. A guy who was photographing scammers in Bangkok who were trying to get people to visit gem shops was physically attacked when he was trying to photograph and video it.

I know this first episode has created such a stir, but remember there are 7 more to come.

Well, that should definitely cut down on tourist arrivals.

Totally disagree with you and here is why:

UK TV show reality shows from Ibiza, and even Brighton Beach. They show idiots causing problems, Police arresting youngsters and other "bad" aspects of the places. Do you think these programs put people off from going to these places....of course not. I actually believe that this program will attract more people to Thailand. People with a bit of common sense realize that tourist related crimes occur around the World. Thailand is no different. If you look beyong the crime scenes, there are plenty of pictures of nightlife and the beaches which will attract the audience the program is designed for which is 18 to 35 year old Males.

You must keep in mind what sort of a TV Channel this program was made for and why the program is edited in the style it was.

I think that the 18 to 35 year old males might be inclined to go to Thailand in any case due to the availablity of cheap prostitution. The average tourist however will not be highly impressed with JJ's behaviour (and numerous others like him). Nor will they be particulary impressed with the Thai justice system.

Neither will the youngsters be that visit the full moon party and others like it. At least they might get the message about drugs in Thailand.

When was the last time Thailand reached the press in a positive manner I wonder.

Scripted? The bit with the Consul was scripted?