Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

And, to Udongfarang52: why do you send us a website from the Orange County police volunteers....? blink.gif do they have FOREIGN police volunteers in Orange County? Do you tell me that the US or FLORIDA would accept FOREIGN police volunteers....maybe from Columbia, South Africa, Thailand maybe..Cuba perhaps ?"

Once again from "Laopo". :) who seems to have an agenda to push in this forum.

Question Laopo,"How many languages are spoken by T.P volunteers in Thailand?.

"What are the nationalities of T.P volunteers in Thailand

Why were South Korean and Japanese Volunteers,sought in Chang Mai"?

You also stated that i was an American,how do you know that??????

10928 posts on this forum "Laopo".............a tad self opinionated!!!!

1. I don't have an agenda; I just oppose to foreign police volunteers in Thailand.

2. languages and nationalities; I suppose you can answer that better than I do.

3. S Korean & Japanese volunteers in Chiangmai? :D

4. You wrote yourself you served in the US forces and retired now; didn't you ? "I am a Vietnam veteran with P.S.T.D."* If I'm wrong please correct me...

And, do you think that someone with PSTD = Posttraumatic Stress Disorder is qualified and fit enough, also mentally, to act as a Foreign Police Volunteer ? :D

5. What does the number of posts have to do with my opinion; why is MY opinion self-opinionated and yours is not ? :D

You seem to have no answers to my questions apart from your own counter-questions.

Also, you still didn't give the forum one single other country where patrolling foreign police volunteers are installed in touristic areas of those countries...(other than Thailand).

And, to answer your last question in your previous post: ""why is that you seem to be so fixated on "black uniforms,handcuffs and truncheons??.........I have my concerns!!!"

I'm not fixated but in my part of the world everybody would be scared of people in black uniforms, armed with truncheons and handcuffs, because I am from Europe, from a neighboring country from Germany and I know from the stories in my family how horrible the men in black uniforms were.... :D ...and as far as I know there's not a single country in Europe were black uniforms are to be seen in the streets, but maybe I'm wrong.

But, we're drifting away from the Expat Farang Police Volunteers in Thailand....whether dressed in black or not. :D

If you like it or not: I fiercely disapprove and they will disappear, sooner or later; I guarantee it.

LaoPo

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen many good things done by the tourist police, Both in koh samui and within Lumpini bkk.

To say there are worthless and should be disbanded is imho foolish. I agree there is one or two factions of the tourist police which leave a little to be desired. That is for the powers that be to clean up their act.

But you cannot tar them all with the same brush.

It worries me that so many people can form an opinion or come to a conclusion that something is bad, Without really having any experience in the matter.

Or does a full blown discussion on the subject in the local pub count as experience?

Show mw where,in what post where i stated i was An American Vietnam Veteran.

Philippines

Thailand

New Zealand

South Korea

Australia

USA

some Canadians enlisted in foreign forces to serve in Vietnam...............So where am i from?????

You keep ignoring the fact,that this "black uniform",is worn by all..............wrong !!

I do not live in the past anymore,i have great medication for my medical condition......and look forward to every day!!

Please do not again, comment on a condition acquired,for taking orders!!! .........in service of ones Country.

If you cannot stop attacking the person.....Please make no further comment to,or,about me.........Stay on the issues please!!

and as far as I know there's not a single country in Europe were black uniforms are to be seen in the streets, but maybe I'm wrong.

LAOPO

I might be mistaken i havent been there in years

but to my knowlage both the UK , Denmark & Sweeden have

black or a very dark blue that looks just like black uniforms

personaly i like uniforms especialy if there is a nice girl wearing it :)

thailand have so many uniforms L)

Thank you so much........nice to hear a positive and constructive comment!!!!!

Yes there appears to be a few apples in the bunch.......T.P volunteers is only a few years old.So one must expect teething problems,public concerns.etc

If this black uniform is so offensive to some........lobby to change it.!!!!

Philippines

Thailand

New Zealand

South Korea

Australia

USA

some Canadians enlisted in foreign forces to serve in Vietnam...............So where am i from?????

You keep ignoring the fact,that this "black uniform",is worn by all..............wrong !!

I do not live in the past anymore,i have great medication for my medical condition......and look forward to every day!!

Please do not again, comment on a condition acquired,for taking orders!!! .........in service of ones Country.

If you cannot stop attacking the person.....Please make no further comment to,or,about me.........Stay on the issues please!!

I agree stay on topic and please stop attacking each other.

IMHO you both are somewhat to blame. Stop replying to such posts then it will all stop ignoring is the best policy no matter how angry it makes you. I am also guilty as charged on this sometimes. :)

Edited by cyb

I have seen many good things done by the tourist police, Both in koh samui and within Lumpini bkk.

To say there are worthless and should be disbanded is imho foolish. I agree there is one or two factions of the tourist police which leave a little to be desired. That is for the powers that be to clean up their act.

It worries me that so many people can form an opinion or come to a conclusion that something is bad, Without really having any experience in the matter.

Or does a full blown discussion on the subject in the local pub count as experience?

I haven't seen any good things done by the voluntary farang Police,in Koh Samui or Lumpini.But I don't frequent those places.

I haven't seen any good things done by the voluntary farang Police in the town where I live since many years!

I'm as a free citizen am against any wanna be Policeman,with no training,chekhs,and psichological attitude tests.

The Royal Thai Police is overbloated,incompetent and corrupt to the core,no need to add incompetent farang to them! :)

Philippines

Thailand

New Zealand

South Korea

Australia

USA

1. Sir: I stand corrected; Mea Culpa My apologizes if I wrongly attached the American tag to you (I don't know why that would be wrong BTW); you forgot to mention that there were Laotian, Chinese and Soviet Union civilians and soldiers also in the Vietnam War.

When you wrote*:

"Psychotic,maybe. I am a Vietnam veteran with P.T.S.D, so i suppose you might be right there. Yet, i do not need to be called this word in an open forum such as this. Served my country,done my time!!!!!!"

...I wrongly assumed that you were American; maybe that originates from the tsunami of news, flooding into Europe about the Vietnam war. In Europe most people still associate America with the Vietnam war and not with the other countries who battled there.

2. About the black uniforms: even if there's only one spot in Thailand where Expat Farang Police Volunteers are serving in black uniforms it would be scary.

3. Further: you seem to read my posts as an attack to your person; that's incorrect. It's the way you read and interpret my posts; my posts are never intended to attack you or anybody else.

If I differ or oppose to your opinion it is not an attack. Don't get so upset and read more carefully, if you please.

* http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Big-Trouble-...28#entry2963828

LaoPo

Same Steve Graham,runs a private security firm.has family here (Sister and father ).......i will never ever forget his hospitality and advice when i first arrived in Udon Thani.Plus, a very nice Cuban Cigar he gave me at his New Years eve party.

Steve has given so much of his time,that i often wonder myself,does he ever sleep!

Advice given in a previous post...........i've have had my say.........good forum!!!!!

Edited by Udonfarang52

I haven't seen any good things done by the voluntary farang Police,in Koh Samui or Lumpini.But I don't frequent those places.

I haven't seen any good things done by the voluntary farang Police in the town where I live since many years!

I'm as a free citizen am against any wanna be Policeman,with no training,chekhs,and psichological attitude tests.

The Royal Thai Police is overbloated,incompetent and corrupt to the core,no need to add incompetent farang to them! :)

Where do you come from and have you had any personal experience with the tourist police or incompetant farang? as you put it.

Edited by cyb

it's not just the uniforms. the only thing these guys are actually "authorized" to do is arbitrate disputes between tourists

and Thai nationals? if they stuck to just that there would not be a problem. wearing official looking police uniforms, with

all manner of official police gear hanging off them. vehicles emblazoned with volunteer police emblems, strutting about

like they wield some power and you see what happens? inevitably they overstep their bounds and charges are brought

against them immediately. the thais keep them for show and some of these fellas are under delusions of grandeur that

they are some foreign elite force of international police? they are not and they bring the problems unto themselves.

Hmmm TV can be a bit over the top with the truth (depends how they edit it)... I just hope they don't pull a fast one because it might be quite embarrassing for thailand. :)

I see nothing wrong with that.Simply being observant,asking why he is filming in such manner.Question was unanswered!!!......Possibility,he was sent over to ask,by his Thai Sergeant......!

We as volunteers receive very little training.acknowledged!

Nothing will be achieved by this attempt to Tarnish a reasonably good reputation.

Volunteers do much more than roaming the streets of Pattaya.

This comment if true, is reflective of the Thai law enforce agencies as a whole, (in my experience).

Its also a bit frighten that untrained individuals are acting (in good faith) as facilitators to Law enforcement.

You stated you have protective equipment, in another post, for self defense. Are you trained in the usage of that? What if you use it a little too much (in self defence) and the chap dies? Is that a 'Som Num Na' to paraphrase?

I think a uniform is probably necessary to ensure you are taken seriously, as I once have a copper stripper who had me well convinced until she whipped up my todger with cream!

The nature of uniform should be non emotive to ensure individuals are not esculating the problems. With the uniform would also go personal appearence. A skin head in the Neo Nazi uniform as seen in the Youtube video sends the wrong signal. As would a Thai copper dressed the same.

Some might also question anyones motives to want to actively work with a corrupt organisation. NGO's want to help people but have strict codes and practices that preclude conclusion with corrupt officials and agencies.

... the only thing these guys are actually "authorized" to do is arbitrate disputes between tourists

and Thai nationals?

[\quote]

Just wondering if that was a statement or question that you asked?

And if a statement, I'd be greatful if you could indicate why you believe that statement to be true. :)

Simon

"Udonfarang52 You are very scary and I am glad you are no longer a volunteer, thanks for stopping."

Personal attacks upon forum members is uncalled for,why don't you grow up!!!

You do not even know me,so take time out to reflect upon your own life.not mine!!!!

i will respond to inane comments such as yours....... :)

Edited by Udonfarang52

May i just add my observasions here,i have no axe to grind and indeed have never even seen any of the guys in question as my days off barhopping finished many years ago and now live here as an ordinary familly man.

personally i think that volunteers should help the police with dealing with tourists and expats who need help ,i do not agree with expats dressing as "police" officers and driving around in quasi military vehicals. unfortunatly as always happens it tends to attract the wrong sort of person who once given a uniform ,well you know the rest.

after saying that i am sure that a few do believe that they are helping their community.

May i just add my observasions here,i have no axe to grind and indeed have never even seen any of the guys in question as my days off barhopping finished many years ago and now live here as an ordinary family man.

personally i think that volunteers should help the police with dealing with tourists and expats who need help ,i do not agree with expats dressing as "police" officers and driving around in quasi military vehicles. unfortunately as always happens it tends to attract the wrong sort of person who once given a uniform ,well you know the rest.

after saying that i am sure that a few do believe that they are helping their community.

I totally agree with your comments.good post!!!

A profoundly sad comment,have come to expect this sought of vitriol in this forum........!!!!

Most of us volunteer out of good intentions.it certainly helped me improve my Thai language skills!!

MAYBE YOU SHOULD READ ALL THE POSTS.

Black uniforms are not worn in all the provinces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having read all your comments on this issue and the apparant anger/arrogance issues you appear to have, if this is indicative of the sort of people who volunteer, then I for one would stay well clear of volunteering for this body, as other posters have suggested this body seems to attract, renta-cop, rambo-type people with control issues....... :D

Ever thought of getting some help your self...????

I have absolutely no anger at all.........your assertions are childish and inane.........Never misconstrue confidence with arrogance.

You through these words around,attacking the person.Not the issue..........Someone else with a personal agenda.

How would you know,the people who volunteer........"what is indicative of these sought of people" mean?.........how many volunteers have you met,both Thai and Farang????

Could you please let me know where you graduated in Psychology...........?????

I served in Vietnam,Then,i was a timid kid from the suburbs,scared shitless at the thought of being sent off to this conflict..........!!!!

No "laopo"......I am nor have i ever been the "Rambo type".........5 years of nursing............did not see much action!!!!!

I rest my case.... :)

You have no case to rest......better to offer up some constructive criticism on the topic at hand.

How can we make the volunteer service better for the community,what changes need to be made....uniforms,operating procedures etc

I have said before,i will say it again,no personal attacks.......play the ball not the person!!!!

You have no case to rest......better to offer up some constructive criticism on the topic at hand.

How can we make the volunteer service better for the community,what changes need to be made....uniforms,operating procedures etc

I have said before,i will say it again,no personal attacks.......play the ball not the person!!!!

:):D ...Yes Constable...

Constructive criticism....loose the military style uniforms and jack boots.... :D

I have no problem with the volunteer police concept per se, but would question the motivation of some of the individuals involved....is the motivation for joining up to better/help the community ? or are their other agenda's that people have for joining up ??

After reading the whole thread, i am of the opinion that some of the animosity garnered here might certainly derive from our western tendancy to be skeptical of authority, which often brings on a hatred of those that are given the powers of such.

I for one have never had a problem with the BiB here, other than being a passenger in a car where the driver ended up paying a 400 bht getway fine for a misdemeanor offence. Still, the same fine in greedy,over taxed,fat cat extortion land Australia would have been well over AU$140 (4000baht)

Try slaving your guts out working for pittance all day (and paying 25%) tax and then on the way home getting fined for that whole days pay+more for going 10-15ks over the speed limit..now that does leave a bitter taste,but sorry i digress..

Its clearly been stated that these volunteers do all sorts of other worthwhile work for the community but this media showing seems to be promoting a policing nature that is more intent on publicity from targeting farangs behaving badly, rather than helping innocent farangs who have been wronged,extorted or are in trouble.

Maybe this is the impression some people on here get?...and therefor the reason why the more extreme and cynical posters will view it as a "them against us" attitude, immediately assuming the farangs are siding with Thais.

Marching around in military style uniforms is going to harbour those badly skewed attitudes from day one IMHO.

So yes,I have to agree with the other posters on uniform issue..a more "plain clothes" approach would "soften" the image and be more fitting to the realities and supposed objectives of the role.

Also if any uniform is needed, maybe there should be some effort to cover up the tatts? I dont know why someone in this role would want to display them so openly anyway?

Ive got nothing against them (tatts) but maybe im a bit old fashioned here..

To me seeing people with tatts all over them policing others, looks a bit err mafia-ish...like thugs policing thugs!!

@ Udonfarang52

It is not about being personally offensive, but it also gives me an uncomfortable feeling if a diagnosed PSTD walks around in in an uniform.

@ LaoPo

Being a German citizen, it it rips my gut to have seen the yout*** video of the "volunteers" in black. Not only the uniforms, but moreover the manner in which they presented themselves (body language, expression on face) would constitute for a flashback into the NS era.

I think the reactions on the faces of the tourists say it all!

All in all, to satisfy ones humanitarian efforts, there are many other options out there...

Group: Members

Member No.: 76,617

@ Udonfarang52

It is not about being personally offensive, but it also gives me an uncomfortable feeling if a diagnosed PSTD walks around in in an uniform.

@ LaoPo

"Being a German citizen, it it rips my gut to have seen the yout*** video of the "volunteers" in black. Not only the uniforms, but moreover the manner in which they presented themselves (body language, expression on face) would constitute for a flashback into the NS era."

Once again a comment made that i am still in uniform......If, i repeat if,you had read earlier posts you would have noticed i am know longer a volunteer.repeat, no longer a volunteer........yet i still support the establishment of Of the T.P volunteers.And positive input to improve public relations.

Once again you have not read all the post in regard to uniform.The uniform changes,depending on what province you live in.

Volunteers have no say in the uniform........we just pay for them.

I have no problem functioning on a day to day basis.......!!!.......good meds!!!!!! :)

Edited by Udonfarang52

@ Udonfarang52

Once again a comment made that i am still in uniform......If, i repeat if,you had read earlier posts you would have noticed i am know longer a volunteer.repeat, no longer a volunteer........yet i still support the establishment of Of the T.P volunteers.And positive input to improve public relations.

Nowhere do I say you are still in uniform, but you were and that is disturbing for me! (please note the past tense)

nuff said

@ Udonfarang52

Nowhere do I say you are still in uniform, but you were and that is disturbing for me! (please note the past tense)

nuff said

Present tense,"walks around" in a uniform,please try not to display your biases against those with PTSD

@ LaoPo

"Being a German citizen, it it rips my gut to have seen the yout*** video of the "volunteers" in black. Not only the uniforms, but moreover the manner in which they presented themselves (body language, expression on face) would constitute for a flashback into the NS era."

Once again you have not read all the post in regard to uniform.The uniform changes,depending on what province you live in.

Volunteers have no say in the uniform........we just pay for them.

I have no problem functioning on a day to day basis.......!!!.......good meds!!!!!! :)

For one: I read the the previous posts and that is exactly the reason I referred to the video posted, not to the actual situation in different provinces.

Second: This post was not even intended for you, hence @LaoPo, but moreover a sign of appreciation for his feelings about presenting oneself in a uniform of that manner (no difference where in the world this may happen). So, please step down and take a deep breath; not every post is waiting for your comment, nor is intended to discriminate you.