Pharmacies And Medication In Thailand.

I went to the doctor about a month ago at the hospital. Bumrungrad.

When the doctor prescribed the medication for my ailment, he handed the whole sheet to me with a bill, and I asked. Do I have to buy the medication here at the hospital? (The bill was around 4000 baht).

He said that he cannot guarantee medicine outside of the hospital.

I asked about the hundreds of pharmacies that you see dotting the streets, and he repeated his previous statement.

I went ahead and forked over the 2000 baht for the meds - shocked at the whole bill.

I had to go in a week later.

This time the same story. However, when I went to the pharmacy desk, I asked for generics (I didn't think of doing so the first time).

The pharmacist at the hospital told me that one of the medications didn't have a generic and the other one had a generic, but it probably wouldn't be effective.

I figure that all of the above is a load of "truth twisting," but wanted to post here to see what your experiences and knowledge have been.

Thanks.

I am not a qualified medical person, but do have close working knowledge of the pharmacy scene in Thailand. This is just my opinion taken from years of experience with Thai pharmacies.

I think the doctor you spoke to may have been trying to increase the hospitals profits. My experience with Thai Pharmacies has always been good with the medications being in date and from a licensed manufacturer/supplier.

The Pharmacists in Thailand are qualified and are required to keep their qualifications up to date, attending seminars etc each year, in order to retain their licence. There is a point system and they have to add a minimum number of points each year. These points are accumulated by attending seminars etc during the year.

In certain cases, Thai pharmacists can override the choice of medication a doctor prescribes. Thai Pharmacists can also hold patient consultations and issue medications (excluding some medications which are required by law to be issued by a doctor) based on those consultations.

Caution must be taken when dealing with staff working in a Thai pharmacy, the pharmacist may not be in attendance most of the time. It is common for the Pharmacist to work in other position, IE a government hospital, during the day and only attend the pharmacy after their daytime job has finished. This may not be the case in major cities where the pharmacist will be in full time attendance, but common in smaller cities and towns.

Pharmacists are also classed. This class/grade places restrictions on their attendance requirements in their pharmacy and their permission to own and operate a pharmacy. Each Pharmacy must have a pharmacist registered against it and the pharmacists name will be prominently displayed.

Pharmacies will be staffed by assistants who have a limited medical knowledge during their absence. If in doubt, ask if they are a pharmacist. These assistants have been trained by the pharmacist and are given permission to dispense limited variety medications on behalf of the pharmacist. They will generally contact the pharmacist if they are in doubt.

The difference between original medicines and generics has been explained to me as such. The original drug has undergone years of testing and is the most effective for dealing with the problem. A generic has basically same ingredients and targets the same problem, but due to the lack of refinement and testing takes longer to hit the target.

I also would be interested to hear more on this subject.

Cheers

NL

The difference between original medicines and generics has been explained to me as such. The original drug has undergone years of testing and is the most effective for dealing with the problem. A generic has basically same ingredients and targets the same problem, but due to the lack of refinement and testing takes longer to hit the target.

I also would be interested to hear more on this subject.

Cheers

NL

There is absolutely NO difference between generic and trade-name drugs. It's all in the packaging. That's what you are paying for, nothing else.

"original medicines" = trade name

same, exact medicine = generic name

To expound, the generic is the same dose of the same medicine as a trade-name drug. they come about after the exclusive patent for a new drug runs out. During the exclusivity period, only the trade name drug is available, there won't be generic for it, which is the only time I would not use generics.

Edited by sriracha john

sriracha john,

"There is absolutely NO difference between generic and trade-name drugs. It's all in the packaging. That's what you are paying for, nothing else.

same, exact medicine = generic name"

Are you sure of this? The information I wrote was from a pharmacist. If the drugs are the same, why do generics give some people reactions that the originals don't?

I am interested to learn more.

NL

My wife went to the doc with a sore throat and came back with six plastic envelopes of pills and a bill that was shocking to say the least.

I played around on the net and dicovered three of them were Vitamin C, Paracetamol and a bog standard anti inflamatory all available over the counter in boots at between one fifth and one twentieth of the price !

Nowadays she knows and asks what every drug is and decides whether to take it or buy it in the chemist.

sriracha john,

"There is absolutely NO difference between generic and trade-name drugs. It's all in the packaging. That's what you are paying for, nothing else.

Are you sure of this? The information I wrote was from a pharmacist. If the drugs are the same, why do generics give some people reactions that the originals don't?

NL

Ever wondered why drug companies have some of the highest value stocks? They lie, generics are excactly the same and adverse reaction scare stories are put out to bolster their profits. generics are licenced from original patent holding company and are subject to excactly the same safety tests and are of excactly the same formula as the original, you just don't pay for the brand name.

sriracha john,

NL

Yes, I'm sure. Perhaps my expounded-edit addition helps to clear the differences up. The only reason there would be differences to cause reaction is if one is contaminated with something else. It happens...rarely.. but it happens. It happens also with trade name drugs as well.

Additionally, there are any number of reasons people have a drug reaction, even including taking the same trade name drug previously with no problem.

My wife went to the doc with a sore throat and came back with six plastic envelopes of pills and a bill that was shocking to say the least.

I played around on the net and dicovered three of them were Vitamin C, Paracetamol and a bog standard anti inflamatory all available over the counter in boots at between one fifth and one twentieth of the price !

Nowadays she knows and asks what every drug is and decides whether to take it or buy it in the chemist.

That's quite common here. Medicines are the "bread and butter" of most hospitals. Antibiotics for colds or flu (totally useless and leads to antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria) is very common error.

If you unaware of what a particular medicine does or what it's for, check it out first before buying or using.

sriracha john,

NL

Ever wondered why drug companies have some of the highest value stocks? They lie, generics are excactly the same and adverse reaction scare stories are put out to bolster their profits. generics are licenced from original patent holding company and are subject to excactly the same safety tests and are of excactly the same formula as the original, you just don't pay for the brand name.

Actually it's more a case of the doctors or pharmacists that are doing that to get you to buy the more expensive medicine.

Pharmaceutical companies are highly valued due to charging a lot for their patented drugs, which is actually fair, given their huge expenses in drug development. It's a business.

However, they don't usually have direct contact with the populace. It's the doctor/pharmacist that does that.

sriracha john,

NL

Actually it's more a case of the doctors or pharmacists that are doing that to get you to buy the more expensive medicine.

Pharmaceutical companies are highly valued due to charging a lot for their patented drugs, which is actually fair, given their huge expenses in drug development. It's a business.

However, they don't usually have direct contact with the populace. It's the doctor/pharmacist that does that.

so advertising the lastest "breakthrough" hedache cure is down to the pharmacy and the doctor? and charging 10 times as much for the same active ingredient as a supermarket brand of painkiller is that down to the doctors and pharmacist too?

what utter rubbish!

I would trust my Pharmacist's suggestion for meds over most any Doc. Experience has told me it's not safe for to trust most Doc's knowledge, and my Parmacist stays on top of these things much better, not simply relying on the drug salesman's rap, as most doctors do...

And as someone mentioned, selling meds is the bread and butter of most any medical facility, but one should take care with pharmacies, too, in regards to fake/old/poorly-stored meds...

sriracha john,

NL

so advertising the lastest "breakthrough" hedache cure is down to the pharmacy and the doctor? and charging 10 times as much for the same active ingredient as a supermarket brand of painkiller is that down to the doctors and pharmacist too?

what utter rubbish!

Who do people listen to when they need medicine? the doctor/pharmacist. Every post on this thread refers to them, not the pharmaceutical company.

If they advertise a new breakthrough medicine and it's a new drug, then there won't be a generic version of it available anyway.

They charge more for their drugs because they invested the money to research it's development, but the doctor/pharmacist is the one that recommends one or the other (trade name drug or generic).

The hospitals in Thailand also put huge mark-ups on the trade name drugs accounting for a great deal of the difference in prices.

The discussion is really about prescription drugs anyway, which aren't available in supermarkets in the first place.

I would like to add a bit here a farang visitor's point of view. Due to a motorbike accident in rural Issan, I attended the local government hospital at 3.30am on a Sunday.

Straight in, saw the Doctor, got an injection in my big toe and a few stitches and some pain killers. Bill was 89 baht.

Two days later got the dressing changed. Big queue at hospital. A Doctor saw I was the only farang waiting for treatment and led me inside even though I protested that I was in no hurry.

Dressings changed, given instructions alcohol or swabbing, spare swabs, more pain killers and antibiotics etc. Bill was 149 baht.

Nothing but praise for the government Hospital system. All I did was smile and show my Australian Passport.

I am pretty familiar with the hospital system in Thailand, since my "thai family" is in the business.

In most European countries (probably not the case in the US) , the price for reimbursable drugs is dictated by the health authorities, so the price will be the same regardless of the point of purchase.

This is not the system in Thailand, where private hospitals are allowed to price the drugs they dispense at their will. Once said this, I have to say that Bumrumgrad is the most expensive hospital in Thailand for drugs, costing double in average than let´s say...Samitivej or BNH. At the end of the day...somebody has to pay for their premises.

For common drugs I would rather take the doctor prescription to the pharmacy, if it is anything more specific,it might not be widely available.

Pharmacist in Thailand are usually quite knowledgeable about their jobs, so they will be able to assist you.

Sir Raja John right as ussual. they all same @#$$#@#$ crooks.

Pharmacists cannot even suggest drug for you, but they do it always. I just know. B.S. actors.

Docs at hospitals, in other way, got there dough from

1. b.s. fees - visit fee

2. high tech test equipment - try any heart test - you'll see - there's 20% for doc

3. commission for brand name stuff at the store in hosp.

in return - they pay rental for room. that's it. office building and nothing to do with hospital.

generic drugs ARE THE SAME as brands. period. it's called "formula"

in thailand there are new wave of b.s. - grades. for example - Vitamin C from *** is ok, but from Blackmore is grade A, and natural. Aspirin from *** is ok,but from Bayer is grade A and has no side effects.

I could go on, many friends of mine were ripped by local b.s. doctors

thanks for the compliment, Khun Oleg...

and right you are.... unfortunately the majority of the public is easily duped by these claims, eg. that one aspirin brand is better/safer/quicker than another. It's all about education and the pharmacies/doctors/hospitals prefer that you remain ignorant.