2009 Yamaha Nouvo Elegance

The deed is done. One shiney brand spanking new Nouvo Elegance purchased today. It was extremely painful given the dealer spoke no English (my Thai lessons are in their early stages) and my girlfriend was as much use as a chocolate teapot.

The bike started out at 55,000 baht on the road plus another 1,000 baht to register it for a non-house owning foreigner. There was no mention of getting paperwork from immigration (for 500 baht) to confirm my rented house, so for the sake of another 500 baht and no visit to immigration, I thought fair enough. So after producing a quote from another dealer starting at 53,500 baht plus the extras, it panned out like this:

Yamaha Nouvo Elegance (spoked wheels) 53,500

CTPL (and I think plates - 550 baht) 1,000

The above mentioned registration 1,000

Two sets of keys (I think) 100

Total 55,600

I took their theft insurance for 1,800 baht for 2 years coverage. I managed to get out them that 80% was payable if the bike was stolen in year 1 and she said 50% or 60% in year 2. Didn't know which and I got nothing other than a receipt. At this point I just wanted to get out of there.

As for freebies, I got a free helmet, a jacket and a duster. Value of 580 baht which I had to sign for. It took forever to find a helmet that fitted and they were all crappy anyway. Or my head must be unusually large and oddly shaped. I asked whether they'd keep the freebies and give me the money towards a good helmet (which did fit) but they wouldn't do it.

So that all aside, I am a happy man. The one thing that disappointed me is that they only had the manual in Thai. I asked if they order an English from somewhere (Bangkok?) but was told "mai mee". Yeah right. So if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get one I'd appreciate it. As a biking novice I also had a load of questions for the mechanic but he had buggered off for his lunch. I think the language barrier would have been in evidence again anyway.

So can anyone give some quick advice for breaking in a new machine? 1000km at less than 50km/h or something like that? Use the same type of gas for the first 1,000km? Anything else re the liquid cooling or oil changing that I should know? And when should it get its first service?

Apologies for the stupid questions. I do need the manual.

Edited by TCA

The deed is done. One shiney brand spanking new Nouvo Elegance purchased today. It was extremely painful given the dealer spoke no English (my Thai lessons are in their early stages) and my girlfriend was as much use as a chocolate teapot.

The bike started out at 55,000 baht on the road plus another 1,000 baht to register it for a non-house owning foreigner. There was no mention of getting paperwork from immigration (for 500 baht) to confirm my rented house, so for the sake of another 500 baht and no visit to immigration, I thought fair enough. So after producing a quote from another dealer starting at 53,500 baht plus the extras, it panned out like this:

Yamaha Nouvo Elegance (spoked wheels) 53,500

CTPL (and I think plates - 550 baht) 1,000

The above mentioned registration 1,000

Two sets of keys (I think) 100

Total 55,600

I took their theft insurance for 1,800 baht for 2 years coverage. I managed to get out them that 80% was payable if the bike was stolen in year 1 and she said 50% or 60% in year 2. Didn't know which and I got nothing other than a receipt. At this point I just wanted to get out of there.

As for freebies, I got a free helmet, a jacket and a duster. Value of 580 baht which I had to sign for. It took forever to find a helmet that fitted and they were all crappy anyway. Or my head must be unusually large and oddly shaped. I asked whether they'd keep the freebies and give me the money towards a good helmet (which did fit) but they wouldn't do it.

So that all aside, I am a happy man. The one thing that disappointed me is that they only had the manual in Thai. I asked if they order an English from somewhere (Bangkok?) but was told "mai mee". Yeah right. So if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get one I'd appreciate it. As a biking novice I also had a load of questions for the mechanic but he had buggered off for his lunch. I think the language barrier would have been in evidence again anyway.

So can anyone give some quick advice for breaking in a new machine? 1000km at less than 50km/h or something like that? Use the same type of gas for the first 1,000km? Anything else re the liquid cooling or oil changing that I should know? And when should it get its first service?

Apologies for the stupid questions. I do need the manual.

Yamaha recommends 91 octane gas for its Nouvos and it says to where you put the gas in. But I see nothing wrong with putting in higher octane gasoline. Far as break in, I had the oil changed at 1000 km. Didn't limit myself to speed as to a specific speed but in general laid off the heavy foot and probably never exceeded 60 kilometers per hour for the first 1000 kilometers.

Jack's pretty well right on that break in period.

I've got the manual in both Thai and English, so I can begin scanning and sending it to you. However, the English one is about 70 pages, so it could take some time.

Here's the Engine Break-in page. Let me know how to get the rest to you, when I eventually manage to sit long enough scanning it all.

post-77830-1256738724_thumb.jpg

I've just managed to pass the 200 k mark, so lots more until my big 1000 k finish. I'm taking it slow, first 150 not much more than 50 kph, and now into about 65 kph with occasional spurts up to 75 kph. Will hold off on anything more until later.

You might manage to persuade someone at Yamaha Square in BKK to provide you the full English manual, particularly if you can drop in and "sweet" talk 'em.

Edited by JusMe

Thanks a lot JusMe. That's a very kind offer. I know how fiddly and time consuming scanning a small document like this is, so I'll do my best to get hold of an actual manual before I put you to such bother. Unfortunately I'm not in Bangkok but will try a few other dealers locally (there aren't many) to see if I get lucky. Thanks for taking the time to scan the page above. Much appreciated.

One last question if I may - is the English manual completely separate? i.e. it's not all one book written half Thai/half English? Just so I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

It's a photocopy of the original English manual.

They first gave me one the same physical size as the Thai manual, but the print was so small I'd have needed a magnifying glass to actually read what it said, so I asked if they had anything larger.

Within a few minutes, they gave me a full photocopied manual, on A4 pages, simply held together with a bull clip.

Let me know if you want me to begin the scanning process.

I've tried doing a web search, but I think this Yamaha model is pretty much Thailand available only, so the manuals would also be restricted to Thailand. Not sure, but ....

I got mine yesterday from a Phuket dealer. Black/Silver.

After having and riding the first Nouvo Model for 7 years without Problems ( changed once the Belt and 2 times the Battery) it was time for the new Model.

I am amazed. Even with only 1/3 of gas ( for the first 150km) she goes faster than my old one, especially up the Mountains. - and very quite due to the watercooling.

The Box under the Seat is also larger ( and double the size as on my rented Honda Click)

paid 57,000 with mag Wheels. ( plus 3,000 for the Top Box ) and incl. a Helmet, Umbrella, Jacked and a bed Comforter, all useless but nice Gift for my maid.

Standard Insurance and Registration with a "Lucky Number"of my Choice was also included. I only needed Copy of PP and WP.

and thanks to "Member TCA" who gave the Link I applied for a Insurance: http://insurance.thaivisa.com/our-products...-insurance.html

got answers to my questions within hours and opted for a second Insurance additionally to the useless one which come with the Bike.

The Light is also much brighter as on other Bikes. nevertheless i like to get a Set of HDI Headlamps which i have seen somewhere. If anyone knows a Source,- please post or mail

:) A happy camper

Edited by McGee

It's a photocopy of the original English manual.

Within a few minutes, they gave me a full photocopied manual, on A4 pages, simply held together with a bull clip.

Let me know if you want me to begin the scanning process.

Hi,

I think - save the time for scanning.

There is a post in this forum about a link where you can download a PDF version of the manual.

I am right now downloading it. But the file is 28 MB. It is too large to be mailed to someone.

As I work in a Prepress company in Bkk - I can print the manual (also change the size !!!)

But it has 81 pages. My boss will charge something. I can't tell hoiw much.

However if more people are interested in a good printed English manual the price would be reasonable. Let me know.

Helmut (prepress)

• 4 weeks later...
We should have an Elegance Rally.... :)

Hey, I'm ready to get a bunch of us on our scoots for some rides.

Me and "Prepress" did a ride out to the crocodile farm a few months back on our NEs.

"Newguy70" has a Click and loves to ride too.

We'll ride again soon, I'm just waiting for my health insurance card to show up.

If you or anyone with a smaller cc bike feels like joining us one day PM me.

I researched all the parts you can get for this bike if you want to modify.

I even got a goofy storage bin on mine.

Wear a good helmet and have fun, Ted

I note that there seems to be a consensus that mag wheels are better than spokes, which surprises me a bit. When I bought my BMW1200GS last year I was told that spoked wheels were much stronger, and they were an expensive extra on the standard model, which had mag wheels. Given the state of the roads here compared to Europe, I would have thought spokes would be the sensible option.

I note that there seems to be a consensus that mag wheels are better than spokes, which surprises me a bit. When I bought my BMW1200GS last year I was told that spoked wheels were much stronger, and they were an expensive extra on the standard model, which had mag wheels. Given the state of the roads here compared to Europe, I would have thought spokes would be the sensible option.

I had heard the wire wheels were stronger too, but honestly I do not know. However, that did impact my decision to buy spoked wheels on my Yamaha Nouvo Elegance last year. Cheaper price and stronger (or so I thought) made that an easy pick.

Other than being cheaper, a significant reason I got the spoked wheels was that they use tubes, whereas the mags are tubeless, and it's easy to put a new tube in if you get a flat out beyond Nakhon Nowhere.

Other than being cheaper, a significant reason I got the spoked wheels was that they use tubes, whereas the mags are tubeless, and it's easy to put a new tube in if you get a flat out beyond Nakhon Nowhere.

the quality of the tubeless on mags is so much better. First scooter I v had with tubeless, and no flat in 15 months. beat that.

That's easy. I had wire wheels and drove the first Nouvo for three years with not one flat. On the second Nouvo, again with wire wheels, I had no flats for nine months. And I just had my first flat two days ago. They put a new tube in it for 200 baht.

I have an elegance with spokes and tubes too and as all my other spoke/tube bikes it has a flat now and then. become a huge fan of tubeless on mags

If you run over a nail, you get a flat whether it's tubeless or not. Or am I missing something?

tubeless is much stronger, so running over a nail doesnt mean the nail penetrates the tyre.

another reason for tubelss is the reduced heat of the tyre due to no friction between tyre and tube.

must be 30 years since the last car with tubes was sold.

tubes only advantage is low price and easy to replace.

with modern tyre repair kits, tubeless are actually more easy to repair

Having nothing better to do today, I have done some on-line research into the spoked v mag wheels and tubes v. tubeless issue.

It seems the consensus is that spoked wheels are stronger and more able to take impact, which is why they are used on off-road bikes.

The disadvantage of spokes is that they take a lot of cleaning and they require regular attention to keep them "true and round".

If a tubeless tyre gets punctured, air escapes only through the hole, leading to a gentle deflation of the tyre. Conversely, an inner tube could potentially burst like a balloon, leading to a rapid deflation of the tyre which could result in sudden loss of control.

A liquid tyre sealant can be added to tubeless tyres to prevent deflation.

Additionally, it is easier to mend a tubeless tyre puncture using an easy-to-use puncture kit.

So, the ideal set up for Thailands roads would seem to be spoked wheels with tubeless tyres, and some handy person with an oily rag to clean them up every couple of weeks.

As I understand the situation, tubeless spoked wheels are not available, so Up To You!

Edited by m62man

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed a slight whirring sound yesterday and today from the back wheel on my 2 month old Nouvo Elegance. Stuck it up on the main stand and gave the rear wheel a spin, expecting it to spin freely, but it didn't. Tested a friend's Suzuki Step in the same way and it was much the same.

Should I be worried?

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question.

TCA (biking novice)

Noticed a slight whirring sound yesterday and today from the back wheel on my 2 month old Nouvo Elegance. Stuck it up on the main stand and gave the rear wheel a spin, expecting it to spin freely, but it didn't. Tested a friend's Suzuki Step in the same way and it was much the same.

Should I be worried?

TCA (biking novice)

If you're lucky it's just your drum brake pads dragging.

You can loosen the rear brake by turning the adjuster knob that connects the brake cable to the the steel arm that actuates the brake pads.

You can see this arm on the kickstand side of the bike's rear hub.

Essentially the closer the end of the brake arm is to the front of the bike, the more brake is applied.

In your case you want it looser so turn the nut that is on the brake cable counterclockwise/out so the brake is looser.

Keep doing this until the wheel spins freely but there is still effective braking when you squeeze the brake lever.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you may want to take it to a dealer for something worse is happening

Should I be worried?

TCA (biking novice)

If you're lucky it's just your drum brake pads dragging.

You can loosen the rear brake by turning the adjuster knob that connects the brake cable to the the steel arm that actuates the brake pads.

You can see this arm on the kickstand side of the bike's rear hub.

Essentially the closer the end of the brake arm is to the front of the bike, the more brake is applied.

In your case you want it looser so turn the nut that is on the brake cable counterclockwise/out so the brake is looser.

Keep doing this until the wheel spins freely but there is still effective braking when you squeeze the brake lever.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you may want to take it to a dealer for something worse is happening

Thanks for the excellent instructions ttakata. Unfortunately it seems to have had little effect. I loosened the nut almost all the way and although a freer spin was slightly noticeable, there was still some restriction/chafing from within. I re-tested my friend's bike and the rear wheel is definitely freer. There's still the whirr of the drum (which I suspect is normal) but nothing like the restricted movement and squeal from mine. I don't suppose it has anything to do with the fact I'm still running it in with only 600km on the clock?

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I've been quoted 9,000bt for 1st class insurance for my LC Elegance. :)

Has anyone else gone down this expensive road?

for my 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R, cost 260k and 0-100kmh in 4 seconds, I pay 7500 baht/year.

and for my VTX 1800cc v-twin, covering 400k, I payed 12k/year

never checked on Nouvo,pcx,airblade though

Hi,

I've been quoted 9,000bt for 1st class insurance for my LC Elegance. :D

No experience with first class insurance on a LC Elegance but as a point of comparison I have ordered a new Kawasaki Ninja 650 for delivery next month. Bike is 257k Baht and 1st class insurance is 8k Baht. You're quote sounds ridiculously expensive considering the cost of your bike :)

Hi,

I've been quoted 9,000bt for 1st class insurance for my LC Elegance. :D

No experience with first class insurance on a LC Elegance but as a point of comparison I have ordered a new Kawasaki Ninja 650 for delivery next month. Bike is 257k Baht and 1st class insurance is 8k Baht. You're quote sounds ridiculously expensive considering the cost of your bike :D

True, but no co. (really) wants to insure bikes under 250cc, I get the impression that at 9000bt, owners will baulk and go for the basic theft cover at 4000bt. :)

Thanks to both of you for responding. :D