Linksys Befsr41 Or Dlink 604 Models

Uncle_Ho

Hello guys .. i am at it again .. confused and in need of help from expert like u guys out there .

Linksys BEFSR41 has an uplink port .. while Dlink 604 doesnt - it has 1 wan and 4 lan ports .. can i use one of those lan port and attach a hub into it ? If yes , then whats the use of uplink port ? Confused !! :o

One more thing .. all the broadband router i have been seeing comes with built in ADSL modem .. which i dont really need since i already got an ADSL Modem .. Do i have to get one with built in adsl modem ? :D confused !!

All i am looking for is a hardware firewall which i can also share my internet connection with 3 other computers .. my budget is roughly 3000 baht ( i know its not that high but thats really my budget ) .. its a home setup ..

Pantip seems to be selling SMC / Dlink / Surecom ... and few other unheard of brands... which one should i get with my budget ?

I got a good advice from my last post but still not quite sure...

I am looking at all options..

Thankyou in advance ... cheers!!

Hi Uncle,

The two Router/Hubs will only work if your modem has a LAN interface not a USB interface as most modems are. You do not necessarily need a uplink port to cascade hubs you just need a crossover cable which swaps the TX and RX pairs same cable if you were connecting two computers directly together. If you already have a Hub and your modem is USB based I suggest you get a SMC7901BRA if you do not have a hub you should get the SMC7904BRA. The SMC's have wizards that configure the router for just about any location. I've been running the 7901 with True with no problems. Can't remeber exact the price but the 7901 is around 3K at pantip. If your modem does have a lan port the SMC7004VBR will do the job.

Happy

Good Luck :o

The Dlink 604 has a LAN interface and is my personal favourite. If you can get one with a manual I say go for it. Linksys is built by Cisco, who route most internet traffic because their routers are renowned, and very good quality. I like that they usually come with a manual as online support is useless for helping you get connected.

If you think you can hook it up, or have someone to do it for you just go for the best price. Either one will serve you well.

cv

Most of these router devices only do firewalling and NAT between the WAN and LAN interfaces, which in the case of the DSL-G604T is the DSL link on the WAN side. Their configuration interfaces are just too limited to do anything more exotic, even though the underlying embedded Linux OS most certainly could support more.

I have used combo router/wireless access point/switches as a dumb access point by cross-connecting one of the LAN ports to a LAN and leaving the WAN port disconnected. Of course, this is probably only sensible if you are working with components you already own, since a dumb access point should normally be less expensive than a combo router device.

On the other hand, if the new device has the features you want at the price you like, there is no reason to feel wedded to your old DSL modem. Just switch to using the new one, and keep the old one around as a backup...

An ethernet "uplink" port is nothing but a cross-wired port. You can improvise with a cross-over cable, and many newer ethernet chips actually seem to do auto-sensing to act as either a normal or uplink depending on what the peer on the cable is doing.