Want To Buy An Suv

triffid

I recently arranged a test drive of the ford everest and the Isuzu MU7. In my opinion the Ford was much better built, and has a smoother and quieter ride. The Ford handled better off road. The interior of the Everest is more comfortable while the MU7 has a better sound system. I tested the 2.5L diesel ford against the 3.0 L MU7. The MU7 had slightly more power but I am assuming that the 3.0 L ford will have better performance as well. I am waiting for my new everest to arrive!

.....Does anyone know if the Everest is a spin-off of Ford's (USA model) Explorer?

There was a Everest and a Explorer next to each other a few months back, very different....

Both were 2004 models, the Explorer was 1 million baht more than the Everest....

The Explorer was much bigger, 4.0 lt Petrol only + no extra row of seats, but had everything an American would expect in a SUV.

The Everest is basically a pickup with a SUV body.... Like the MU-7 is basically a pickup with a SUV body

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently arranged a test drive of the ford everest and the Isuzu MU7. In my opinion the Ford was much better built, and has a smoother and quieter ride. The Ford handled better off road. The interior of the Everest is more comfortable while the MU7 has a better sound system. I tested the 2.5L diesel ford against the 3.0 L MU7. The MU7 had slightly more power but I am assuming that the 3.0 L ford will have better performance as well. I am waiting for my new everest to arrive!

.....Does anyone know if the Everest is a spin-off of Ford's (USA model) Explorer?

Everest is based in Ranger/Mazda BT50 pickup. Frame from late 80s, Mazda B2600 was the modelname at that time. Its a japanese/thai platform.

Nothing common with Explorer.

I'm interested in buying something with 7 seats. I have an old Kia Carnival at the moment. Anyone know of any good deals out there to buy something with 7 seats? (you know the type, 43baht down and pay off over 20 years...ok, that's a joke, but school fees for my two daughters are limiting the amount I can put down).

There was a Everest and a Explorer next to each other a few months back, very different....

Both were 2004 models, the Explorer was 1 million baht more than the Everest....

The Explorer was much bigger, 4.0 lt Petrol only + no extra row of seats, but had everything an American would expect in a SUV.

The Everest is basically a pickup with a SUV body.... Like the MU-7 is basically a pickup with a SUV body

I remember climbing inside the Explorer at a Bitec motorshow right after checking out Lexus is250. I looked at the cheap fittings, low grade, small seats, and I thought - this could compete with Everest. I was completely dumbstruck when the salesgirl told me it cost some 3 or 4 million.

Katabeachbum, re variable turbocharger - what's the mechanics of that? If I read the name correctly, the whole point is not about max power but rather flexible output in low-mid ranges, otherwise "variable" would be meaningless. And, of course, we had a discussion on max power vs mid-range performance when talking about Honda and Toyota petrol engines a while back. My point was that max power means jackshit for everyday driving, and so when you say new 2.5 Toyota diesel has the same max output as Nissan I'm not entirely satisfied and fill the gaps with my own imagination.

How does that thing work? I more or less know how dual VVTi works but not variable turbocharger.

I'm interested in buying something with 7 seats. I have an old Kia Carnival at the moment. Anyone know of any good deals out there to buy something with 7 seats? (you know the type, 43baht down and pay off over 20 years...ok, that's a joke, but school fees for my two daughters are limiting the amount I can put down).

I hear you on the School fees, have 2,5 kids (I have 2 the wife has 3)...

Like I have said before, "Ford Everest"!

Built sturdy, to last, low price as 2nd hand, slightly stupid seat arrangement on the older ones, but still useable.

There are more options, 2nd hand, but look at the Ford, New or 2nd hand.

Oh! and the Chevrolet Zafira, great ride if you compare to your Kia, and depending on budget, the Chev Captiva I have one and just love it!

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1

I remember climbing inside the Explorer at a Bitec motorshow right after checking out Lexus is250. I looked at the cheap fittings, low grade, small seats, and I thought - this could compete with Everest. I was completely dumbstruck when the salesgirl told me it cost some 3 or 4 million.

Katabeachbum, re variable turbocharger - what's the mechanics of that? If I read the name correctly, the whole point is not about max power but rather flexible output in low-mid ranges, otherwise "variable" would be meaningless. And, of course, we had a discussion on max power vs mid-range performance when talking about Honda and Toyota petrol engines a while back. My point was that max power means jackshit for everyday driving, and so when you say new 2.5 Toyota diesel has the same max output as Nissan I'm not entirely satisfied and fill the gaps with my own imagination.

How does that thing work? I more or less know how dual VVTi works but not variable turbocharger.

hey Plus, I really havent read up on the VN turbos. I read in a small notice it uses an electric fan in addition to the exhaustrun fan (turbo), but find that hard to believe.

Nissan have been using this turbo for about 3 years, but still have kinda ketchupengines. Both 144hh midpower and 177hp highpower editions have peaktourque at 2000 rpm. Toyotas 2,5 VN turbo have succeeded in a wider tourque band from 1600-3000? rpm, reducing the ketchupeffect giving a smooth engine.

I have a friend looking for a Kia Carni,, What do you want for it?

How does a variable turbo worK???

Easier to point you here then try to write it all for you! Pretty much an normal turbo has fixed blades, a variable turbo allows the blades to move to create the best boost needed for the engine at a given time.

http://paultan.org/2006/08/16/how-does-var...-geometry-work/

How does a variable turbo worK???

Easier to point you here then try to write it all for you! Pretty much an normal turbo has fixed blades, a variable turbo allows the blades to move to create the best boost needed for the engine at a given time.

http://paultan.org/2006/08/16/how-does-var...-geometry-work/

Great turbo info Bpriam1. thanks :)

Oh! and the Chevrolet Zafira, great ride if you compare to your Kia, and depending on budget

Stay with Kia but go for the Zafira size 'Carens' which is Diesel + Auto and cost less then 1 million.

Edited by ignis

Yeah, thanks for the link.

Let's wait for a full review in a couple of weeks and whether this new turbo makes any difference.

The new VN 2,5 has the same tourque as the 3,0 - 343nm but in a shorter band 1600-2800 rpm (3,0 is 1400-3200 rpm). Impressive.

According to BKK post it feels as powerful as 3,0 within this rpm band, but of course 3,0 still has more power overall with a wider tourque band and higher hp @ 3400 rpm.

I guess a 2wd Prerunner VN 2,5 manual gear is now faster than 3,0 auto 4x4 with same body.

Edited by katabeachbum

Yes, just read the same article.

They mentioned something about shorter gear ratio, so it probably won't be flying well over 150.

The next Fortuner will probably get this new technology as well, and for now Toyota is using the same 3l in Landcruiser.