Visa Cock Up

Hi One and all,

I have just recieved a 6 month visa for my thai wife to visit uk after only two weeks from start to finnish. At the visa place in Bangkok they were saying it can be up to six weeks and as my flights are booked

for the 6th October i was a little worried i might not get the passport back in time. However the form we filled

in on line asked when we wanted the visa to run from and the date of our outward and return flights which i duly filled in. We leave 6th Oct return 6th March But the visa runs 20th Aug to 20th Feb So we have a problem.

Any advise would be appreciated as to the easiest solution . Would they take kindly to pointing out there error

at the visa place. Changing flights wont be easy as they were promotion flights. So what would be the best bet.

Thanks in antisipation , Pete :):D

tricky one, its always better to book the flights after you know when /if you have the visa, this happened to me in the past, asked if they could change the dates on the visa, while we were still at the embassy in bkk, the reply no chance, try them but i fear they will not help you out,

Hi One and all,

I have just recieved a 6 month visa for my thai wife to visit uk after only two weeks from start to finnish. At the visa place in Bangkok they were saying it can be up to six weeks and as my flights are booked

for the 6th October i was a little worried i might not get the passport back in time. However the form we filled

in on line asked when we wanted the visa to run from and the date of our outward and return flights which i duly filled in. We leave 6th Oct return 6th March But the visa runs 20th Aug to 20th Feb So we have a problem.

Any advise would be appreciated as to the easiest solution . Would they take kindly to pointing out there error

at the visa place. Changing flights wont be easy as they were promotion flights. So what would be the best bet.

If you had read the rules properly you would have seen the part that says 'Do not book travel until your visa has been granted'. Having missed or ignored this you are now in a situation you cannot resolve unless you start the process all over again. Your wife has been granted a 6 month visa and that's that. Having dealt with the British Consulate in such matters before I can assure you that they will not change your wifes visa to accomadate your travel requirements. Anyway; you can quite easily change your return flights and in many cases this does not cost you anything. However; if you do have to pay an alteration fee you will have to put it down to experience and not cock it up next time.....Chok Dee!

If you had read the rules properly you would have seen the part that says 'Do not book travel until your visa has been granted'. Having missed or ignored this you are now in a situation you cannot resolve unless you start the process all over again. Your wife has been granted a 6 month visa and that's that. Having dealt with the British Consulate in such matters before I can assure you that they will not change your wifes visa to accomadate your travel requirements. Anyway; you can quite easily change your return flights and in many cases this does not cost you anything. However; if you do have to pay an alteration fee you will have to put it down to experience and not cock it up next time.....Chok Dee!

I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to apply for a visa for specific dates. Why would they bother asking for dates otherwise? The OP did the right thing by applying in a reasonable time (especially considering processing times of late) and it's clear that the embassy screwed up. Even if the tickets hadn't been bought, people still apply for visas with dates in mind should they get the visa.

If you declared your dates of travel on the application form, they should have picked this up and dated the visa accordingly. This from the Entry Clearance Guidance:-

"ECB9.5 What if applicant is not intending to travel straight away to the UK

The ECO should check the applicant's visa application form (VAF) for the proposed date of travel in order to prevent unnecessary applications for an extension of stay, and possible claims for a refund of the extension fee.

Where an applicant may not intend or be able to travel to the UK immediately following their application: the ECO has discretion to defer the 'effective' date for up to three months after entry clearance has been authorised."

It's their cockup - go back and ask them to re-issue the visa with the correct dates.

Hi One and all,

The OP stated what dates his Mrs wishes to travel on. The Consulate gave him something else. So its not his cock up.

If and when you get your visa granted, just put it straight back in and reapply for the dates you want , it will cost you again but thats probably cheaper than any other way.just put a letter in explaining what you want and why you reapplied

Hi One and all,

The OP stated what dates his Mrs wishes to travel on. The Consulate gave him something else. So its not his cock up.

OP states the dates for his air tickets in his post, but he does not state if he put the date of his ticket to the UK as the date his visa was needed for on his visa application form. If he didn't, then he can only blame himself. If he didn't put a date or put the 20th, then there is no cock up.

Incorrect comment removed. :)

Sorry, originally I thought you could enter the UK up to the last day, but I found on ukvisas.gov.uk that the visitor must exit before the end of the visa as well.

Dave.

Edited by daveh