Now Thailand The Creative Hub

harrry

Writer: BangkokPost.com

Published: 31/08/2009 at 11:40 AM Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva wants Thailand to be the creative centre of Asean industry, with the value of creative industry products to rise from 12 per cent to 20 per cent of gross domestic product by 2012.

"The government recognises the importance of creative industries by combining the country's cultural assets with technological and innovative knowledge to come up with products with distinctive features," the prime minister said at a seminar on creative industries on Monday morning.

"These products would bring about sustainable development and allow Thailand to be the country of thinkers," he said.

The government planned to set up a new state agency responsible for overseeing creative industry within six months.

The government would develop information technology infrastructure for 3G and WiMax, and provide laws to support creative industries, he said.

"This project comes under the government's economic stimulus plan in the second phase," Mr Abhisit said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/15...-industrial-hub

The government planned to set up a new state agency responsible for overseeing creative industry within six months.

It's creative when it comes to creating more gravy trains for the elite.

Well it is creative at creating hubs.

:) What happened to education?

I am not sure how to post an image here but photo number one in the regular "slideshow" at the top LHS of nationmultimedia.com/ , labelled "Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva presides over "Creative Thailand" Fair before giving a special speech on Monday at the Government House" shows a familiarly creative way of opening such enterprises :D .

"The nail that sticks up must be hammered down."

Thai proverb stressing the importance of conformity and obedience. Hardly the best place for "a creative industry hub" (whatever that means - what creative industries?) but I bet they could copy it well.

They don't mean to be truly creative. Just trying to create different versions of the same stuff, hoping it would sell better.

It's not that difficult, btw. You just need to put some extra effort, and that's where govt agency can provide initial support and infrastructure.

Think of computer animation. It was revolutionary ten years ago but by now every flick just the same as the next one. Same stories, same plots, same visual representation. With enough effort you can "create" endless versions of all kinds of cute characters. Cartoon Networks churns them up 24/7, it's not THAT difficult.

They don't mean to be truly creative. Just trying to create different versions of the same stuff, hoping it would sell better.

It's not that difficult, btw. You just need to put some extra effort, and that's where govt agency can provide initial support and infrastructure.

Think of computer animation. It was revolutionary ten years ago but by now every flick just the same as the next one. Same stories, same plots, same visual representation. With enough effort you can "create" endless versions of all kinds of cute characters. Cartoon Networks churns them up 24/7, it's not THAT difficult.

With the exception of things John Lassiter produces of course.

Confusingly similar to Thaksin´s OTOP program..."New wine in old bottles".In "my" village,the only time they "worked" with the project,which they got money for,was when filmcameras and dignitaries came to visit;at these occasions,people dressed up,put on a show and,when the visitors were gone,they all went home.Until the next visit..Creative in a way,though..!

Well it is creative at creating hubs.

:) What happened to education?

I am not sure how to post an image here but photo number one in the regular "slideshow" at the top LHS of nationmultimedia.com/ , labelled "Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva presides over "Creative Thailand" Fair before giving a special speech on Monday at the Government House" shows a familiarly creative way of opening such enterprises :D .

to view in larger size click on photo

1899123011127u.jpg  1899123011059.jpg

1899123011034.jpg  1899123011110.jpg

1899123011024c.jpg  1899123011159.jpg

1899123011148o.jpg

for your daily Veggie Mark slideshow bookmark this link http://www.thaigov.go.th/index.aspx?pageid...&parent=475

"Creative Thailand" in a box as per the photo's. Does this mean they are going to encourage thinking outside of the box in the schools, or does it still have to remain in there? :)

Hub of Bullshit more like.

Sounds like they have creatively created a new PR stunt! Its a bit difficult to get your head around what this is about, but I think maybe Thailand is hardly a place where you can invent technology or intellectual property, however in the markets you quit often see quite wonderful crafts, etc. So Abhisit and co are trying to aim at something that can be realistically be achieved in the country? OTOP was easier to understand and better targeted folks in the country IMHO. Trouble is Made in Thailand typically means low quality and not likely to last (my Sony car MP3 player was made in Thailand and did not last very long). I also had a Honda part Made in Thailand this week and it was cr*p; fell apart and I had to glue it back together. Ho hum.

I wonder how creative Abhisit was at Oxford?

On thing: Thais are very creative at getting money out of people!

Sounds like they have creatively created a new PR stunt! Its a bit difficult to get your head around what this is about, but I think maybe Thailand is hardly a place where you can invent technology or intellectual property, however in the markets you quit often see quite wonderful crafts, etc. So Abhisit and co are trying to aim at something that can be realistically be achieved in the country? OTOP was easier to understand and better targeted folks in the country IMHO. Trouble is Made in Thailand typically means low quality and not likely to last (my Sony car MP3 player was made in Thailand and did not last very long). I also had a Honda part Made in Thailand this week and it was cr*p; fell apart and I had to glue it back together. Ho hum.

I wonder how creative Abhisit was at Oxford?

On thing: Thais are very creative at getting money out of people!

yes the HUBof creating scams

It will take a lot of efforts to change the country of "drinkers" into

one of "thinkers" !

Published: 31/08/2009 at 11:40 AM Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva wants Thailand to be the creative centre of Asean industry, with the value of creative industry products to rise from 12 per cent to 20 per cent of gross domestic product by 2012.

"The government recognises the importance of creative industries by combining the country's cultural assets with technological and innovative knowledge to come up with products with distinctive features," the prime minister said at a seminar on creative industries on Monday morning.

"These products would bring about sustainable development and allow Thailand to be the country of thinkers," he said.

The government would develop information technology infrastructure for 3G and WiMax, and provide laws to support creative industries, he said.

"This project comes under the government's economic stimulus plan in the second phase," Mr Abhisit said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/15...-industrial-hub

WOOHOO, only how far behind? Why even bother when there are faster data networks now that are capable of delivering higher volumes of information for less? This is almost as stupid as saying they are going to build a new analogue phone network... I mean get with the times, yes these things are necessary but don't point out your own failures publicly when we know them already. Do you want a cookie or fkn medal for catching up... or trying to?

<snippety>

<snippety>

This at least shows the dreamworld that many Thais inhabit. Creative in itself, in a way.

Dream on.

Thailand will never be a land of thinkers; they have the hardware but not the programming. Having said some old tosh, in the Thai schema, there is now no longer any need to actually do anything, the kudos has already been gained so he can forget all about that and creatively think about the next meaningless sound bite. To talk the talk in Thailand is quite sufficient, never any need to walk the walk

In 3 days nobody will be able to remember this clown for what he says, but they will remember he said something good, and that is enough for his purposes. Job done, mission accomplished.

When everyone else has an IQ of 85, someone with an IQ of 90 seems like a genius. In the developed world the guy is still a dunce and should be wearing a tall hat and standing in a corner somewhere.

In the developed world the guy is still a dunce and should be wearing a tall hat and standing in a corner somewhere.

whatever and wherever the "developed" world is, the same people who should wearing a tall hat, standing in corner and shut up are given membership on TVforum and having here quite a big mouth about things they don't understand or have a clue about.

In the developed world the guy is still a dunce and should be wearing a tall hat and standing in a corner somewhere.

whatever and wherever the "developed" world is, the same people who should wearing a tall hat, standing in corner and shut up are given membership on TVforum and having here quite a big mouth about things they don't understand or have a clue about.

Teaching by doing I see.

How creative, flame the whole forum as a block.

Way go making friends and influencing people.

Hello, this is all good until the Thai government fears too much thinking so they will have a crackdown on the creative industries because it will make the people in the government, and more importantly the police, look bad. They might have some trouble trying to teach creative thinking as most schools train people to be a drone.

I see. So you don't agree with me, and you can't quite figure out why you felt bad about what I wrote.

In your opinion, how exactly was I wrong in what I said? Its just that apart from the uninformed abuse, you didn't actually say anything you see, so I wonder why you bothered at all.

If you don't understand the term 'developed world' then ask politely and I will hep you to be better informed, otherwise, it may be less embarrassing for you to put thick gloves on while playing with your son's computer. Or your Dad's. :)

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson