Starting A Cafe In Pattaya

billyboy

I am currently looking around Pattaya to buy a Cafe.

I would like to sell Farang food,food that expats miss or really good breakies.

My question to all of you is what makes a good CAFE?

Somewhere where you dont only go for breakfast but for lunch and supper too.

What foods would a good farang cafe sell? I just saw in another thread about a poster who wanted bubble n sqeak for breakfast and i have took that point on.

Is price important? Do u think the staff should be dressed in a uniform?

I notice most cafes dont open till around 9am,is there a market for 6am open and 3am close.I would like to run a cafe that sells world beers and have regualar customers.Do u think i should have BBC TV inside the cafe or music ?

Edited by billyboy

What foods would a good farang cafe sell? I just saw in another thread about a poster who wanted bubble n sqeak for breakfast and i have took that point on.

I notice most cafes dont open till around 9am,is there a market for 6am open and 3am close.I would like to run a cafe that sells world beers and have regualar customers.Do u think i should have BBC TV inside the cafe or music ?

The market is already saturated, I'd suggest trying something a little more original.

True the market is saturated.

but anything really good and also good value no not really.

Good Falang food is not often cooked well by thai cooks....plenty posters looking for quality breakfasts!!,and some of the pubs do an average job of t roast dinner etc.

Thai service is patchy.

opening early good idea ,but its really only the old fellas who are up and about and they are stingey.

Not many really nice thai restaurants in pattaya though...as in falang/fusion thai you would find in Aus or NZ.

I think the gap is non english fare,thats well overdone in pattaya as is large screens in every restaurant blaring out endless soccer.

I would say thai fusion,nice atmosphere,...somewhere romantic where you take your lady for a special night.

The market is already saturated, I'd suggest trying something a little more original.

FInd another investment idea, unless you want to pack it up within 6 months.....you wouldn't even make it to the next high season! :o

Well i spoke to a english owner of a cafe and he was making 100 000 b per month profit!

I really wouldn't believe what cafe and bar owners tell you they make.

If you want to be a little more original, maybe you could try opening one up a little out of town near a residential area which has a lot of farang residents. When I want to go out for a full English I have to go right into town, if there was a decent place on my road, then I'd be inclined to eat out more.

Opening a business in the service industry in a place like Pattaya is a risky venture. But given the finances to support it while becoming more established it might have some success.

Just be very careful and be sure you know what clientele you want to aim for.

Just be very careful and be sure you know what clientele you want to aim for.
Billy Boy wrote in a related post:
Im wanting to get my own business in Thailand,I am looking at a CAFE ,one that sells breakies etc.

The only people I could rely on are SUNBELT to assist me when im going further with it,but as a start when looking at businesses,what do i need to look for,i know position is one thing,and profit etc.

Why does one cafe you walk past is full and another down the road doesnt have customers?

Can my cafe open past 1am if it sells alcohol but isnt a bar?

If i start a 3 million baht company can i work in the cafe too?

Do u think it would be better with the 4 million baht i have saved to find a shop and make my own cafe? How much do u think this would cost to start up?

Would it be cheaper than buying one?

There is a gay bar im also interested in sunee plaza but the owner wanted 3 mill baht then dropped the price to 2 mill,i talked to the owner of the business and he is sub leasing the land/buildings,does this make any difference to me if i buy it,knowing i have to pay a sub leasee the rent?

Sunee Plaza.... So you would be catering to the Junkies, Pedophiles, katoeys and homosexuals...great business...Breakfast in ###### :o

Edited by pluto_manibo

There's an old saying about Thailand.

If you want to make a small fortune in Thailand, start with a BIG one !

In other words, by the time you realize you're screwed, you might escape with a small return on your investment.

Having said that, one of your most important considerations has to be: Location, Location, Location !

Find a site that isn't already overcrowded with the same kind of venues, has a high volume of traffic (pedestrian/vehicle), and isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg to set up.

Problem is, all those places are already taken !

Once you are set up, advertising and networking are essential, to get new customers and some "regulars" to help you through the low seasons.

I know a guy who bought an existing restaurant, spent oodles renovating it, and weeks went by with few or no customers. His cook and waitress both left (to another place across the street) and things weren't looking good.

It's been about 3 months or so now, and business is a little better, but barely enough to pay the bills.

Be prepared and don't expect to be an overnight success !

gburns57au does have a point there.

Although it’s not accurate to really say that most lucrative businesses in Thailand have already been pioneered by an already successful company – I think that’s a good argument because they have the know-how and backing required.

It’s food for thought. Small businesses aren’t famous for being raging overnight successes and need time and dedication.

Have a good selection of up to date newspapers and magazines.

The Thai English language newspapers aren't up to much but international newspapers such as tInternational express and the English newspapers are still a good read.

These cost 150 baht each (quite expensive just to buy a newspaper) but if you can pay the same amount to go to a cafe order a meal and read the paper for free it doesn't seem so bad.

Thumbs up in Soi 6 does this and gets quite a few regulars in for a meal and a read of the latest farang paper.

I second the suggestion that a person looking to start a business in Thailand look to do something novel.

Providing good quality Mexican food is something Pattaya expats would pay for, for example. Unlike British food, it is really not available.

There are lots of other possibilities.

How about a bagel shop that does them properly?

Served alone or with spreads or sandwich toppings. And of course, coffee.

I haven't seen any decent ones in Thailand and the sorry ones at Au Bon Pain seem the best standard available.

I often wonder about all the 'doom and gloom' when anybody starts a Topic about 'business in Thailand'.  Either all the people who 'seem to be' successful in Thailand, started with a million dollars and are gradually going broke... or the successful ones are all genius's? Or all do not want any other competition?  :o

I'm not all doom and gloom about starting a business in Thailand, just think that there's already a lot of competition in this sector. For someone who seems to have little knowledge of running a cafe, there's a high risk of failure. Just being realistic, even if this isn't what some people like to hear.

If you can't think of anything original, instead of opening a bar or a cafe, open a 7 Eleven. This place is full of them, but they rarely seem to go bust.

Opening 7 elevens is a smart move but you need a lot of cash, and the franchise application needs to be done by a Thai person holding at least a university degree!

They generate a pretty good return on investment, mainly because the high bargaining power of 7 eleven when purchasing in bulk. Their profit margin lies several percentages higher then average shops.

A 7 eleven store simply buy its merchandise much cheaper compared with any mum & pop shop...

7-11, on top of that they have brand recognition, established customer loyalty due to wide presence and they are open 24 hrs a day( which makes its Logo 7-11( from 7 am to 11 pm) obsolete)....

I second konangrit, there is way too much of the same garbage around here. Someone does something that works then you get all the others doing the exact same thing. You would be better off being original and study your investment proposal. The OP doesn't seem to have a clue what he is about to get into, according to the related posts, he has posted....looking for Thai partner, how to run a cafe etc..... on top of all things ..Sunnee Plaza.... :o:D:D

Sunnee Plaza is a sleaze pit, granted.

But it is one sleaze pit among many in Pattaya.

People are picking on it because it is a homo sleaze pit.

If you haven't noticed, sleaze pits are among the shining profit centers of the Pattaya economic ecosystem.

The poster didn't say he wanted to sell underaged yaba addicted trannies to 300 pound Germans, so cut some slack, kay?

I have several friends in Pattaya who have successfully run small businesses in UK / Oz / Canada - and sold up and come to Thailand. Most confess to be bored with a work-free life and would like to do something. But if I suggest that they open similar businesses in Pattaya (with their Thai 'significant other') as their previously proven success business, the answer is 'No way - risk is far too high for the return'.

This is the answer received from six or seven people. Others just laugh.

I often wonder about all the 'doom and gloom' when anybody starts a Topic about 'business in Thailand'.  Either all the people who 'seem to be' successful in Thailand, started with a million dollars and are gradually going broke... or the successful ones are all genius's? Or all do not want any other competition?  :o

I'm not all doom and gloom about starting a business in Thailand, just think that there's already a lot of competition in this sector. For someone who seems to have little knowledge of running a cafe, there's a high risk of failure. Just being realistic, even if this isn't what some people like to hear.

If you can't think of anything original, instead of opening a bar or a cafe, open a 7 Eleven. This place is full of them, but they rarely seem to go bust.

No, its not doom and gloom....but you see too many people with no trade or Thai experience opening businesses in Thailand and going broke.

Even if they have trade experience they dont do the homework on Thai tax, business and labour laws.

They fail before they even start.

Study similar businesses in your industry that are profitable, and then emulate them and go beyond. The people who send money - generally above 50 years-old, do not want to hear music. They do want to be able to talk to their friends and read the paper in silence.

In your example, take a look at The Pin n Whistle. It does really well and the waitresses are always happy from what I have seen. The owner is definitely doing something right.

Au Bon Pain and Starbucks make good money. Look at what they do right and copy it - Ambience. Look at what they do wrong and improve it - their food and drink.

One or two English newspapers is not sufficient. There are a lot of German speaking people in the city as well. Separate the papers into sections so several people can enjoy them at the same time.

The coffee and tea at Starbucks and Au Bon Pain are overpriced and not very good. Improve on it. My friend has better coffee at his house.

Learn to read Thai. By the time you have been here long enough to learn to read Thai, you will have learned enough about the traps and games that are played in order to avoid most of them or even learned enough to stay out of everything all together. You will also be able to read the lease contacts that you are goin to sign for the property so that you do not lose your business after it is up and running for a couple of years and making a profit.

You will also be able to read the lease contacts that you are goin to sign for the property so that you do not lose your business after it is up and running for a couple of years and making a profit.

I know a lot of Thai people who have a hard time reading the leases as well... :o

The Thai English language newspapers aren't up to much but international newspapers such as tInternational express and the English newspapers are still a good read.

These cost 150 baht each (quite expensive just to buy a newspaper) but if you can pay the same amount to go to a cafe order a meal and read the paper for free it doesn't seem so bad.

Thumbs up in Soi 6 does this and gets quite a few regulars in for a meal and a read of the latest farang paper.

Thats good advise, I sometimes go eat in a place just so I can get read of the old issues of FHM :o

Thats good advise, I sometimes go eat in a place just so I can get read of the old issues of FHM :o

That reminds me of Simple Simon in Jomtien. I actually rate the breakfasts because they have McCain hash browns as an extra which is nice for a change but there reading matter is hopeless - consists of nothing but motorbike magazines going back probably 2 years and NOTHING else. Would not mind but there is nowhere nearby to buy another paper or magazine.

Au Bon Pain has USA today which makes for an interesting change to the BKK Post.